Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
Focus ST3 TDCI - Frozen White
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!

I just picked up my 2015 focus st Diesel last week. I want to change the air filter do you have any recommendations on what one to get?

I've seen some things about the RS lid as well? I've seen this one on eBay pretty much the same just without the RS logo?

thank you in advance for your help and advice :)

· Premium Member
2006 mk2 5 door pfl in performance blue, CP320
1,776 Posts
There's a thread on here somewhere recently where the diesel was fussy about airfilters and kept going into limp mode (K&N).
Unsure what he/she/they/them ended up with though.

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have seen mixed reviews about the limp mode... think I'm just going to stick with the lid and wack and st badge on it to make it look a bit more pleasing under the bonnet for now. as knowing my luck my car will be the one that plays up with a new filter

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There's a thread on here somewhere recently where the diesel was fussy about airfilters and kept going into limp mode (K&N).
Unsure what he/she/they/them ended up with though.

thank you! by the looks its just a standard air filter with the rs lid to increase air flow :) thank you for your help

· Premium Member
2015 (65) ST-2 TDCi 185ps Estate in Deep Impact Blue
233 Posts
I’ve got a K&N Filter and RS Lid on my 2015 ST Diesel, no issues with limp mode. Much deeper sound with the RS Lid.
I’m sure you’ve read plenty on here already about how fussy the diesel is when changing filters and the lid, seems to vary from one to another, not really sure why.
It’s just a case of trial and error, maybe try the lid first with the standard paper filter, if all ok, then maybe try the lid with a K&N or Pipercross filter.

You may also get differing results depending on whether you’re running the factory map vs Stage 1/2 map.
I believe mine is running the factory map but never had it confirmed or run on a Dyno.

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’ve got a K&N Filter and RS Lid on my 2015 ST Diesel, no issues with limp mode. Much deeper sound with the RS Lid.
I’m sure you’ve read plenty on here already about how fussy the diesel is when changing filters and the lid, seems to vary from one to another, not really sure why.
It’s just a case of trial and error, maybe try the lid first with the standard paper filter, if all ok, then maybe try the lid with a K&N or Pipercross filter.

You may also get differing results depending on whether you’re running the factory map vs Stage 1/2 map.
I believe mine is running the factory map but never had it confirmed or run on a Dyno.
I've ordered one off eBay looks like the RS one but don't have the branding but as you say it depends on the car so think taking it one change at a time is the best way to go to see what my car do/don't like.

by the end of the year, i want to stage 1 map it as even though the car is quick standard I do feel ford could have got more from the engine

· Registered
708 Posts
Performance air filter in a diesel?? it's literally this lol.....

Rim Wood Flooring Line Floor

As Wayne has said.. some will take them some wont and go straight into limp as soon as you put your foot down... switch off it clears, then comes back as soon as you put your foot down again! A lot of standard cars run fine on a performance filter for ages... then get mapped and go straight into limp... it's all just so random!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.