Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the moment i am thinking of getting a Code Red induction kit and then possibly followed by a exhaust. But apart from having to spend a load of money
my main concern is the increase of cabin noise if i fit a exhaust. My Subaru used to sound great on a blast but on the motorway it was a real pain. I have to consider the wife and kids so i am after any advice or tips etc on the difference they make. Oh and also what power gains can be expected

·
1,285 Posts
I have a Milltex 4" rolled in cat back system... it sounds awesome under acceleration and gives a nice rumble in all gears.

There is a bit of cabin noise around 50 ish but nothing that is worth worrying about!! It just adds to the fun :)

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
to be honest on all my cars ive fitted exhausts and they have been loud. ive got a turbo back magnex on the st and inside you cant really heae much. no booming just a deep roar when you plant it.
friends and family says its really loud and pops ect when i pass them but i cant hear it...
i can here the induction more that anything.

saying that. i drove my mates moms subaru the other day when i was working on it and couldnt beleive how loud the exhaust was inside the car.i couldnt live with that noise...

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
QUOTE(Gardener @ 9 Jan 2010, 07:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Don't buy a Piper or decat as they are both very noisey and put them both together you do get ALOT of cabin noise at all times. Trust me i know

Yep - full Magnex + Mongoose sports cat sounds great, discrete at moderate speeds and cruising then throaty but not offensive if you open it up.

But using a decat with the above system brings on awful boom at moderate revs, motorway cruising etc. Totally unbearable

·
Kalmar Union
1,301 Posts
The Swedish made Ferrita exhausts for the Swedish designed and built Volvo engines that are in our STs that I stock in the UK change the exhaust note but are not noisy either inside our outside the car.

Ferrita have their own in house rolling road that they use constantly in their evaluation and evolution of their products which have to, in the very first instance, comply with Nordic countries very stringent noise and emissions regulations.

You can check them here:http://kalmar-union.com/parts/ford-focus-exhausts/

·
Registered
198 Posts
I've got a Magnex exhaust which sounds great when you give it some beans, put perfectly aceptable at motorway cruising speeds. You can easily have a conversation with passengers without having to constantly shout over it, but you will get a few looks from people as it pops etc while going through town, love it

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
QUOTE(focus149 @ 9 Jan 2010, 09:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>What exhaust have you got "thestumper"
saw your car at a codered BBQ last year and liked the sound /look of it

Back then I think it would have been magnex downpipe, Piper sports cat and 4" slash cut Piper cat back. On that vid though its a decat.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cheers folks. At the BBQ last year a couple of people said the Mongoose is not too noisy which is really what i am after. although driving yesterday with stereo down (following Sat Nav) i found that the standard exhaust sounds pretty good

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
QUOTE(marcobz @ 9 Jan 2010, 11:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I've got a Magnex exhaust which sounds great when you give it some beans, put perfectly aceptable at motorway cruising speeds. You can easily have a conversation with passengers without having to constantly shout over it, but you will get a few looks from people as it pops etc while going through town, love it

Actualy, i wouldnt use as a criteria the description "you can have a conversation with passengers without having to shout over it"...I mean...its pointless to even compare to that. Such an exhaust would be either with not catalyst, no backboxes, and would most frequently be found in race cars.

We have a Focus, an everyday car, in a sport version. To me, its a given that the exhaust should be as quiet as possible while cruising, and only make the right noises in acceleration.

I've in a Magnex full exhaust. I liked the acceleration, but i found it a bit louder than i would prefer, while cruising. Of course others are even louder. Havent heard the quiet Miltek version though. As for mine, i think its one of the quietest i have heard so far. Wasnt cheap though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.