Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been to the dvd shop drop some films off earlier only about a 10mile round trip, car stank of fuel and has used a quater of a tank.
Checked the car for fuel leaks but found no leaks anywhere, its obviously over fueling for what reason i dont know, also when i was sitting at traffic lights the tickover dipped quite alot and sarted racing up and down car once i pulled off it was spluttering a bit but cleared as quick as it came on, i dont have any DTC faults and the car doesnt seem to have lost any power.

Has anyone had any similar problems, i also give her a service at the weekend new oil & filter (castrol edge fst 0-40w)
current mods are collins cp320 mongoose full exhaust & airtec gen 3
Any sugestions ?

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
My car used a lot of fuel when the MAF was faulty.
But it didn't smell of fuel and there were error codes on display.
I'm at a loss with yours unless there is actually a leak.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
yes I had this , turned out it was the MAP sensor .
inlet temp sensor on it went pop and car thought it was -40c !

can you see black in the exhaust fumes, i could and it stank of petrol.
was ok when the engine was cold but as it warmed up it got worse and worse

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
yes I had this , turned out it was the MAP sensor .
inlet temp sensor on it went pop and car thought it was -40c !

can you see black in the exhaust fumes, i could and it stank of petrol.
was ok when the engine was cold but as it warmed up it got worse and worse
not noticed any black in the exhaust fumes, but it really stinks of fuel i have had 2 dtc codes on the display a few weeks ago but they vanished D900 & E something i think d900 was because i had the battery lead off, but not 100%

Not had any lights come on the dash either.

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
not noticed any black in the exhaust fumes, but it really stinks of fuel i have had 2 dtc codes on the display a few weeks ago but they vanished D900 & E something i think d900 was because i had the battery lead off, but not 100%

Not had any lights come on the dash either.
Ignore the D and E codes.
You're looking for an ESP light coming on, or the engine light coming on.
You'll then need to read it with a fault code reader or other handset.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Ignore the D and E codes.
You're looking for an ESP light coming on, or the engine light coming on.
You'll then need to read it with a fault code reader or other handset.
Not had any lights come on, but the misses said on monday it felt sluggish on the way to work as if it wasnt boosting fully, but when i took it for a blast monday night it seemed ok. its absolutley raping fuel though.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok ill buy the map maf and boost solenoid hope this cures it. thanks for the info

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ive been thinking about this today i dont think its the map/maf/boost soleniod i think its the lamby sensor as ive been doing alot of popping and banging, i think that the sensor has exessive amount of carbon caked on it which in term is reading the exhaust gases/tempreatures incorrectly and giving false reading back to the ECU causing the overfuelling......ill take the sensor out and clean it and see if that cures it before i spend £230 on new sensors.

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
Either of the other sensors can do the same, when my MAF went mine was back firing and was sluggish but would clear then start again

·
Registered
128 Posts
Been to the dvd shop drop some films off earlier only about a 10mile round trip, car stank of fuel and has used a quater of a tank.
Checked the car for fuel leaks but found no leaks anywhere, its obviously over fueling for what reason i dont know, also when i was sitting at traffic lights the tickover dipped quite alot and sarted racing up and down car once i pulled off it was spluttering a bit but cleared as quick as it came on, i dont have any DTC faults and the car doesnt seem to have lost any power.

Has anyone had any similar problems, i also give her a service at the weekend new oil & filter (castrol edge fst 0-40w)
current mods are collins cp320 mongoose full exhaust & airtec gen 3
Any sugestions ?
Check ur injectors one of the rubbers could have a split on it. open the bonnit turn on the car and if it is one of the injectors you will see fuel comin out of it. I had the same problem a few weeks back

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
the front lambda is only for small corrections/trimming the afr

it will be the map/maf or both

or you have a big boost leak somewhere

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not got a boost leak. My mate drove it yesterday and he seems to think its the maf sensor as he had the same fault on his st.its gone ok now car does not smell of fuel and I'm getting 26mpg pottering about, ill let it delvelop then order a maf and go from there.

·
Registered
Mk2 RS 400
4,189 Posts
If you can get an OBD code reader on it check for codes, mine did this and never put he dash light on (which means no sensor went down or out of parameter, but probally gave an inappropriate reading). I did get 2 old codes off that suggested map sensor issues.

I have since then had it checked on a rolling road and all is correct, inc emissions.

If ou have an Android phone or table check out the Torque app, it's perfect to diagnose these issues. Not available on CrApple though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts