Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. After months of searching I've recently brought an 06 plate st in blue
I'm so chuffed with it, best motor I've ever brought. Now, its first turbo I've had and to be honest I don't have much knowledge about turbos so any advice would be much appreciated.. I'm thinking of getting a dump valve as I love the noise it makes but after reading about them online some people say don't bother with them as it can make the car loose power ? Also any advice about dump valves would be great and one more thing what's a good induction kit to get ? Cheers guys

·
Registered
725 Posts
Hi don't bother with a dump valve kit, st has a recirculating one and I believe it's an absolute pain to swap (and doesn't need it!) as for induction kit- the st will cope with about 300 bhp through standard air box. Save your money and go for an ecu remap and inter cooler upgrade as the standard one is pathetic! White line rear anti roll bar would be a good mod after that. Hope this helps!

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,348 Posts
Luke, congrats on your purchase. I would agree with the opinion on the DV, the ST has a recirculating dump valve as standard and a closed induction system. If you add an atmospheric dump valve (even if you blank off the standard one) you'll be releasing air from the closed system and the ECU will not know this air is missing. This can lead to fuelling issues when you lift off and the turbo will slow down more quickly as the recirculated air is used to keep it spinning and so you may experience a slight loss of response. Worse case scenario you'll have an engine light on the dashboard. If you want a nice noise then fit an open cone induction kit.

There's lots of advice in the technical section which you can access if you become a full member, along with discounted group buys and offers from sponsors, such as reduced insurance. Worth the £10

·
Registered
7,012 Posts
If your wanting some nice engine noise put your cash into an open induction kit such as the Pumaspeed or Dreamscience induction kit.
Best pay to become a member, find a few hours and sit down with a brew and read all the technical forums. There's information on every possible mod in there and will help you plan your future mods.

It will be the best 10 quid you will spend on your car.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice guys
think I'll give the dv a miss now and yeah I will pay the £10 for the membership, it sounds worth it. Thanks again

·
Registered
239 Posts
I dont get this DV issue. I have a Collins twin piston dump valve and it works perfectly. No loss of power or lights on the dash. I love the sound and im very glad I went ahead and got it fitted. I've had it on now for 4 months, so far so good.

I'm not saying the guys are wrong, I'm just saying my point of view.

Gotta agree on the induction kit advice, the Dreamscience kit is great but I do sometimes get sick of the whistling whooshing noise all the time but when your in the mood its a great sound.

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
I dont get this DV issue. I have a Collins twin piston dump valve and it works perfectly. No loss of power or lights on the dash. I love the sound and im very glad I went ahead and got it fitted. I've had it on now for 4 months, so far so good.

I'm not saying the guys are wrong, I'm just saying my point of view.

Gotta agree on the induction kit advice, the Dreamscience kit is great but I do sometimes get sick of the whistling whooshing noise all the time but when your in the mood its a great sound.
I bet if you put the car on a RR you'd get a shock at the fuelling though.

And I don't think Collins even recommend fitting a DV. And they make them!

·
Registered
239 Posts
It may run a bit rich after a dump but I haven't noticed any issues or that my fuel comsumption has been effected.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey guys. Recently became a member and it's nice to be part of the ST family! So I've got a 2007 focus ST-2 which - apart from the remap - is completely standard. I find the dump to be very quiet and I'm looking to fit a twin piston atmospheric to fix this issue. I will also be fitting a powerflow cat back so running rich after dumps won't disappoint me! I'm wondering if someone could advise on thr loudest DV available? I understand I'll have to blank off the recirculation which is no problem. I want my dumps to sound like I'm going to blow wheelie bins over!! 😀 any advice would be most welcome :) thanks for reading.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have found that if you want your st to sound better then definitely go for a milltek cat back,...who needs a stereo when the noise of the exhaust sounds so much better!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts