Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having just brought an ST I have decided on the following mods..
1) decat(miltek)
2) Ecu spacer+Panel filter
With these mods I planned to get the bluefin stage 2- would that be a good/correct choice with those mods?

I have a dilemma though- im very tempted to get the airtec gen 3 intercooler too. Would that mean I would NEED to go to stage 3 or would I be best staying with stage 2?

In peoples opinion is it worth going the whole way and getting the intercooler too- does it make a substantial difference? Also with the airtec does it fit in without the need to destroy the standard bumper/wind deflectors etc??

Sorry for all the questions but i want to make the right choice-and hope people can help!!

cheers

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
You need an intercooler before going to Bluefin stage 3 for sure, it's maybe preferable for running stage 2 as well. Once you have the intercooler you don't need to go to stage 3, I ran my car with quite a few mods but still on stage 2 with no issues. Just means you're not getting the full performance available for the mods you're running. You may need a full induction kit to get the most out of stage 3 plus a bigger downpipe too.

In fact the downpipe may be helpful even for running stage 2?

I found the intercooler good even when runnin Stage 1 - everyone i knew who'd had a turbo ford in the past said get one first off, it helps prep the car so you get the most out of any further mods you do. They don't give power gains but stop you losing it when the ECU detects turbo temperatures above limits and helped my turbo spool up better.

With the airtec if the deflectors hit it (probably do) you can always leave them off, it's only the intercooler side deflectors you need to worry about - everything else will still fit fine.

If you can't get a suitable answer off here about the Bluefin maps just ring Jamie at Superchips and he'll answer all your queries.

·
Registered
86 Posts
cheers mate- yeh think i may just run stage 2 with intercooler then as i wont have the budget to run all the mods that are required for stage 3- and id rather be running stage 2 well than 3 badly??!!!

The only thing I have just read is that elepehant DONT cover intercoolers as a mod- so im screwed- the question is is the risk of not declaring worth taking- and how much of a risk is it??
It seems to me that an intercooler is a worth while mod no matter what stage your running?

Im hoping that stage 2+ decat+intercooler+ecu spacer+ panel filter- will run well together and be worth the money.

If anyone else has anymore advice/information it will be much appreciated.

Cheers

·
Registered
279 Posts
my preference is stage 2 low torque still seeing 286bhp abd 297ftlb and goes well and is still drivable and your in the mountune perameters of torque so your not gna eat your clutch, having said that stage 3 plus is awesome fun... hope that helps

·
Registered
81 Posts
QUOTE(unclejimbo @ 16 Jan 2010, 03:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>cheers mate- yeh think i may just run stage 2 with intercooler then as i wont have the budget to run all the mods that are required for stage 3- and id rather be running stage 2 well than 3 badly??!!!

The only thing I have just read is that elepehant DONT cover intercoolers as a mod- so im screwed- the question is is the risk of not declaring worth taking- and how much of a risk is it??
It seems to me that an intercooler is a worth while mod no matter what stage your running?

Im hoping that stage 2+ decat+intercooler+ecu spacer+ panel filter- will run well together and be worth the money.

If anyone else has anymore advice/information it will be much appreciated.

Cheers

An intercooler just like a radiator could be considered a wear and tear item. I've no doubt that the Ford item will cost way more then say an Airtec.

An R33 GTR intercooler from Nissan is.............£2232.50 (correct as off April 2008)

Seriously who in there right mind would pay Nissan that when Apexi etc sell at 1/3 off that.

Personally i wouldnt be declaring it as a performance item and i really cant see how the insurance company could contest it "IF" your reason for fitting was down to failure off an original part. (they didnt with me)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cheers guys, what would be the difference between running stage 2 with
1) Ecu spacer+ filter
2) decat
3) Airtec gen 3 intercooler
and running it with stage 3?
ANyone else got a view on what they would do

cheers!

·
Registered
131 Posts
I am running stage 2 reduced torque now with

1) Ecu spacer + K&N drop in
2) Miltek sports cat
3) Milltek downpipe
4) Forge race spec intercooler

Smooth, responsive, drivable and most importantly, does not overly stress my clutch!

·
Registered
279 Posts
QUOTE(Kalibur @ 18 Jan 2010, 04:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I am running stage 2 reduced torque now with

1) Ecu spacer + K&N drop in
2) Miltek sports cat
3) Milltek downpipe
4) Forge race spec intercooler

Smooth, responsive, drivable and most importantly, does not overly stress my clutch!

same good set up good power and above 100% usable all the time........

·
Registered
85 Posts
If your thinking of going the stage 3 route id get a full on CIAS and save your money on the panel filter.

Im running stage 3 with

Panel filter ( about to be changed to AS CIAS
Miltec down pipe
Miltec sports Cat
Blue flame cat back
Radtec inter cooler

All was well on stage 2 then i fitted the inter cooler and stage 3 and it needs the CIAS as it seems to be searching a little on a steady throttle (still pulls very well though)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so it seems if i get the intercooler but no cais I should stick to running stage 2? My budget wont stretch to a cais too, so guess its intercooler and stick with stage 2??

·
Registered
259 Posts
The advice from Superchips site states

For stage 2
1.Replacement air intake system
2.Good quality replacement Sports-Cat

For stage 3

1.Replacement air intake system
2.Good quality replacement Sports-Cat & full exhaust system including downpipe
3.Up-rated intercooler

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.