Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My drivers door doesn't shut flush with the bodywork. Theres a gap which I've taken in a pic below.

ANyone know how to adjust the door lock mechanism to make it tighter. It've undone the 3 torx screws on the door but nothing happens.

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
The door latch mechanism isn't adjustable.

To alter the door set you need to move the metal striker which is bolted to the b-pillar, looks like yours needs to go inwards slightly. I've seen it done many many times but never needed to give it a a go myself.

I'd suggest you use some electrical tape or similar to mark where it is positioned now then slacken off the torx screws before tapping the striker inwards a bit - maybe 5mm needed to close up the gap, then tighten the screws again and see how the door shuts. Just slacken the screws off enough to allow the striker to be tapped across, don't let it drop too or the door may catch it when you close it.

That gap looks shockingly bad - has the car ever had any bodywork repairs?

·
FocusSTOC Nut!
17,448 Posts
QUOTE(troy45 @ 20 Feb 2010, 07:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The door latch mechanism isn't adjustable.

To alter the door set you need to move the metal striker which is bolted to the b-pillar, looks like yours needs to go inwards slightly. I've seen it done many many times but never needed to give it a a go myself.

I'd suggest you use some electrical tape or similar to mark where it is positioned now then slacken off the torx screws before tapping the striker inwards a bit - maybe 5mm needed to close up the gap, then tighten the screws again and see how the door shuts. Just slacken the screws off enough to allow the striker to be tapped across, don't let it drop too or the door may catch it when you close it.

That gap looks shockingly bad - has the car ever had any bodywork repairs?

i tried to adjust the striker on mine troy could,nt get it to move. marked it & then took it of &
me there is no adjustment on it!
just two holes for the screws to go back in. bolted it back on and it screwed on in the exact same position!
ive done it before on other cars myself, but i cant see a way of moving the striker on mine at least

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks troy.

But I have the same problem as stingy, no adjustment, just 2 fixed holes.

I dont think its been in a bodyshop, no signs of any work done to it.

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
That does surprise me

Are the nuts in the b-pillar not on a slider plate either which allow for movement of the striker?

There must be adjustment somewhere, because in the factory they will be adjusting door gaps and 'flushness' on a regular basis.

·
FocusSTOC Nut&#33;
17,448 Posts
QUOTE(troy45 @ 20 Feb 2010, 07:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That does surprise me

Are the nuts in the b-pillar not on a slider plate either which allow for movement of the striker?

There must be adjustment somewhere, because in the factory they will be adjusting door gaps and 'flushness' on a regular basis.

no mate. just two holes through the b pillar only wide enough for the screws.

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
From what i've found now the striker 'should' be adjustable for up and down but it doesn't show any horizontal movement which I just can't see the logic of because it gives no adjustment for the problem you're seeing.

For other up and down movement of the door to front wing the actual door hinges have to be adjusted but that won't have much effect at the back edge of the door.

I'm stumped now. Maybe have a word with a bodyshop, or take the door striker off and slot the holes yourself?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maybe the up down movement will work. As the bottom is slightly in and the top where the plastic pillar is sticks out. So it's like this / < but not so extreme lol

·
FocusSTOC Nut&#33;
17,448 Posts
QUOTE(Trist @ 20 Feb 2010, 07:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Maybe the up down movement will work. As the bottom is slightly in and the top where the plastic pillar is sticks out. So it's like this / < but not so extreme lol
my eo st was the same on the passenger side trist. think the colour just blinds them in the factory when they're fitting the doors

1 - 11 of 11 Posts