Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I may have a faulty actuator. How do I adjust it?

My car isn't holding boost. When gunning it in lower gears it feels fine but the guage shows it boosting to 1.2 bar then immediately losing boost and falling to 0.9 bar. In the past I remember it holding for longer and higher.
Also if you floor it in the higher gears 5th+6th from 30mph it only peaks at 0.9 bar and goes no higher right the way through to 70mph+.
I remember it used to peak at 1.2 bar regardless of what start speed even if it did take a while to come on full boost.

Any clues to whats causing it?

·
FocusSTOC Nut!
17,448 Posts
could be a weak spring in the actuator mate. think i read somewhere before, that this can happen. think you can just replace the spring, although im by no means an expert!

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
I'd be very surprised if the actuator is servicable if the spring has given up the ghost, not even sure if you can get the actuator on it's own off Ford dealers or if it comes with a new turbo

Maybe before attacking the actuator have you tried resetting the KAM fuse - could be that the self-learning of the ECU has backed off the boost some. Easy enough to try before proceeding to tweek the actuator.

Let me know how it goes with the KAM

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll give the KAM a go and soak the MAF in IPA again as the new K&N that came with the Dreamscience induction kit could have thrown a bit of oil on to the MAF.
The cars still really fast and feels and runs fine at all times. Its just the boost guage shows that it isn't boosting as it should.
I'll keep you updated.
Why is it with cars they run fine 99% of the time then when something goes wrong or you spend your hard earned cash on it, loads of problems appear. I've just noticed a tiny crack appearing on my windscreen that must have been a tiny chip but the cold weather has made it worst. Hope its repairable as I don't want a new wind screen.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I reset the KAM to day and the car is flying and boosting as it should in all gears. Its amazing what the KAM reset can do. Sometimes it doesnt do jack but other times its great. I think it wasn't boosting correctly because I had the new K&N fitted to my dreamscience induction kit which breathes better than the temporary Ripspeed filter I had on my induction kit till the order of K&Ns came in.
I'm happy now:grin: and I can't wait to see if my car does any better at the rolling road session this week.

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
QUOTE(Boovy @ 31 Jan 2010, 08:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I reset the KAM to day and the car is flying and boosting as it should in all gears. Its amazing what the KAM reset can do. Sometimes it doesnt do jack but other times its great. I think it wasn't boosting correctly because I had the new K&N fitted to my dreamscience induction kit which breathes better than the temporary Ripspeed filter I had on my induction kit till the order of K&Ns came in.
I'm happy now:grin: and I can't wait to see if my car does any better at the rolling road session this week.

Glad the cars sorted and it wasnt anything serious matey!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks mate me too. Its amazing what a KAM reset can sort out. I just hope the car performs well this weekend at the NW Rolling road meet with the K&N.
It made 305bhp and 355lbs ft with a ripspeed filter on the end of the dreamscience induction kit last month so I will be gutted if it does worst with the K&N on the end of it this time. Even if its worst I won't be swapping back though as I don't trust the reliability of the £27.99 ripspeed filter. What was strange too is the Ripspeed filter sucked and dumped louder

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
QUOTE(Boovy @ 1 Feb 2010, 06:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks mate me too. Its amazing what a KAM reset can sort out. I just hope the car performs well this weekend at the NW Rolling road meet with the K&N.
It made 305bhp and 355lbs ft with a ripspeed filter on the end of the dreamscience induction kit last month so I will be gutted if it does worst with the K&N on the end of it this time. Even if its worst I won't be swapping back though as I don't trust the reliability of the £27.99 ripspeed filter. What was strange too is the Ripspeed filter sucked and dumped louder

Unless its on the same rolling road as the last run and the temps etc are exactly the same you cant really compare the figures! I wouldnt worry about it! The ripspeed filter would sound louder as its not filtering as well!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE(fishface31a @ 1 Feb 2010, 06:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The ripspeed filter would sound louder as its not filtering as well!

Indeed, thats very true, I never even thought about that

I hope its an icey cold day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts