Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Official L&SE Master chef
2,311 Posts
I've at last got hold of a second hand abs pump, just refused to pay the ridiculous price for a new one

has anyone fitted one themselves is it a pretty straight forward job?

and any advice on the bleeding sequence

oh and it came off an 08 plate and mine is a 55 it will be the same i take it?

thanks in advance for any help

tony

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I have never fitted one to an st but fitted a few to various other motors.
If your lucky you will be able to gravity bleed the system,
If your not lucky you will have to have the car plugged into a diagnostic system to activate the bleed sequence for the abs.
You will need to check the part number and abs types are the same, Eg teves,bosch etc. if they are different the system may not work correctly if at all on your car.
If it does fit and you can bleed it you will still need to have the fault codes erased and light put out using suitable diagnostic equipment.
Hope this helps.
Dave

·
Official L&SE Master chef
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(goonturbo @ 6 Nov 2009, 10:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have never fitted one to an st but fitted a few to various other motors.
If your lucky you will be able to gravity bleed the system,
If your not lucky you will have to have the car plugged into a diagnostic system to activate the bleed sequence for the abs.
You will need to check the part number and abs types are the same, Eg teves,bosch etc. if they are different the system may not work correctly if at all on your car.
If it does fit and you can bleed it you will still need to have the fault codes erased and light put out using suitable diagnostic equipment.
Hope this helps.
Dave
thanks for the advice dave I'll check the part number
not sure if i should risk doing this myself now
thanks again you have been a great help

·
Official L&amp;SE Master chef
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i was talking to a mechanic down the club last night
and he said if you turn the ignition on a press the brake pedal once the car goes into bleed mode
just do this on all four wheels
but he works on mercs so its probably not the same

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
when i done my replacement a few months back i just fitted the new ABS pump,pressure bled the sytem going from the furthest nipple and checked the brakes felt ok ,the pedal felt a bit spongy so bled the sytem again with the engine runing and hey presto had a realy firm pedal, no lights on dash ie ESP failure and all worked how it should .
mines been fine since with no issues whatsoever ,hope this helps .

·
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE(glennboysst3 @ 8 Nov 2009, 09:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>when i done my replacement a few months back i just fitted the new ABS pump,pressure bled the sytem going from the furthest nipple and checked the brakes felt ok ,the pedal felt a bit spongy so bled the sytem again with the engine runing and hey presto had a realy firm pedal, no lights on dash ie ESP failure and all worked how it should .
mines been fine since with no issues whatsoever ,hope this helps .
nice one mate
with a bit of luck mine will be that simple

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
fingers crossed mate it will go fine for you ,only fiddly bit is conecting brake lines etc etc ,might pay you to take a few photos of what pipes go where though mate if your not too experianced with this kind of thing ,from memory theres two differant sized conections on the end of the brake pipes ,three on top that are large and one smaller one,then on front of pump theres one large and one small .
let us know how you get on matey .

·
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks mate
i probably wont have time to do it for a couple of weeks but when i do il let you know how it went

·
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well i took a chance with the weather and fitted my abs pump today and all is well

it took about 3 hours with tea breaks so not to bad i thought
had my brother in law to help me, that was handy for the bleeding
i cant believe how smoothly it all went
once the the pump was changed we bled the brakes
i then turned on the ignition and whoo hooo no esp system fault and no lights GOOD TIMES

thanks for all the advice and help much appreciated

tony

·
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE(glennboysst3 @ 21 Nov 2009, 02:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>good news mate ,great feeling when you first swith on isnt it and you have no more issues !!
well pleased for you !
cheers mate it was sweet to switch on and no lights!
they have been on for so long its a wonder the bulbs hadn't gone

thanks for your help mate

1 - 11 of 11 Posts