Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

First of all I'd like to thank all the people that have helped me, the STOC website has been a brilliant resource - friendly, knowledgeable people, with useful experiences and willing to share. I'm infinitely more "genned up" having joined this site!

Sorry if it's been done to death, but if this thread helps just one more person, then it's worth writing about. Plus I still need some help if I can...

So, last Thursday I got the dreaded "ESP SYSTEM FAULT" on the dash (and resultant loss of traction control, but weirdly No loss of ABS). Tried all the useful suggestions (MAF clean, boost hoses, clean wheel sensors, remove KAM fuse) but it just wouldn't go away. After trying a few supposed "experts" in the diagnostic field, I found a garage with the correct OBD tool to talk to the ST, today. They turned out the fault code as being:

C1288 Pressure transducer main/primary input

This, after reading many threads on here, I'm almost 99% certain, is the ABS Module finally giving up the ghost.

Our local Ford Dealer in Plymouth is Vospers, who although polite, were utterly useless. Firstly, they refused to acknowledge any other garage would have the tool to correctly diagnose Ford fault codes. And when I asked about how they could help me sort it, having only just fell out of warranty by 29days; said I would need a full Ford Service History, (It's got 2 main stealer stamps and 1 stamp from a fairly reputable garage in Plymouth) and that the most that Ford HQ would offer in terms of a goodwill contribution was 35% of the total bill. (As we know £1100 parts, £500 labour).

To even qualify for this lame 35%, I would then have to have their technicians re-diagnose the fault (at a cost of £120+vat that COULDN'T be claimed for, bearing in mind the other garage did it for £40 incl.) and even then if they deemed I didn't meet the hallowed criteria, I would have to bear the brunt of the full cost myself.

Equally as polite, I told them to shove it. However, it wasn't a wasted trip, because their parts section divulged the part number for the Faulty ABS module in question:

I Believe it is: 6M5Y-2C013-AA, and the finis is 1420790. So at least I can go in search of one.

My open question to you guys is, is that the correct part number/FINIS code (before I go in search of one), and secondly, does anyone have one for sale, know of one for sale, know of a breaker/scrapper of STs, or any other advice that can point me (and my beloved ST) in the right direction!?!?

Thanks for all your help so far
Steve

·
Registered
218 Posts
ye,c1288 defo the abs module,didnt need ford to diagnose that,I have a snapon Modis scanner which will read all codes.
Most reputable independants will have something similar and charge between £25-£50 for a scan.
I bought 2 modules of ebay,1 for £120 & 1 for £30
the £120 1 had similar fault the £30 1 I fitted and works fine although it could pack up tomorrow.
I was quoted £1091+vat(retail) from local dealer,£875+vat trade.
Ill have a look tomorrow and check part number for you
youre best bet keep ringing breakers

·
Registered
218 Posts
part # off my original is 6m5y-2c405-ab,dealer said it should be ba,the 1 i fitted was aa,cant remember the finis #
hope this helps
pete

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To add insult to injury the
thing let me down this morning. Started, run for a minute, then conked out and wouldn't start. Not sure if it was due to the fact that it was parked on a steep hill with not much petrol left in the tank - probably all that was left in the fuel rail got it running. At least I hope so!!

Dash said there was 38 miles left in the tank, but I guess one shouldn't put too much faith in a computer's estimate of how much petrol is in a tank!!!!!

·
Registered
218 Posts
thing let me down this morning. Started, run for a minute, then conked out and wouldn't start. Not sure if it was due to the fact that it was parked on a steep hill with not much petrol left in the tank - probably all that was left in the fuel rail got it running. At least I hope so!!

Dash said there was 38 miles left in the tank, but I guess one shouldn't put too much faith in a computer's estimate of how much petrol is in a tank!!!!!
hi
have you managed to find abs module as yet,as i have picked a 3rd unit up for £60,supposed to be perfect,but have not tried it.
my car is going saturday,so if you like you are welcome to this one
let me know
pete

·
Registered
218 Posts

hi
have you managed to find abs module as yet,as i have picked a 3rd unit up for £60,supposed to be perfect,but have not tried it.
my car is going saturday,so if you like you are welcome to this one
let me know
pete

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Has anyone done a how to for replacing the abs sensor ?
My car has thrown the ESP system fault up 3 times now and I'm worried it may be this , I have removed the kam twice and the car goes a few mths before it comes back again ... However it always seems to come on after going down a certain bumpy road ... I have also found that it can come in if the tyre pressures are out ??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts