Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Just signed up to the breakdown repair cover which ive had in the past and think is good value for your money, i have the full package with parts and labor of a cost of £15 a month and you can claim 5 times a year up to £500 each claim. I was just wondering if anyone else has the same and had to use yet? i decided to add the repair cover as my warranty runs out today.
this price also includes my roadside relay and home start.

·
Registered
7,012 Posts
I had an AA warranty on my last car which was a Seat Leon TDi.
I needed a new turbo which cost 1300 inc parts labour etc.

They paid the first thousand of the claim. Because I didn't use their garage though I had to pay it all and claim the thousand back.
I haven't bothered with the ST as I doubt they would cover it with all the mods on or they wouldn't cover none standard parts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I have no roadside cover (think I will need this) and no warranty. Is it advisable to get a warranty? I had 3 months when I bought it and runs out end of Jan.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have no roadside cover (think I will need this) and no warranty. Is it advisable to get a warranty? I had 3 months when I bought it and runs out end of Jan.
I'd recommend a break down cover 100% as can cost a bomb to get picked up on the motorway. As of warranty I had 6 months but I ain't renewing mine! I feel this AA cover will just about help me out,

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,348 Posts
I have RAC cover - £16 a month for joint cover with the missus, covers the driver and not the car so whatever car we are in (driving or passenger) is covered. Provides us with At Home, Roadside Recovery, Onward Travel, accommodation and hire car if necessary. Had it for several years now, called them out a number of times and never had a complaint. Always an RAC man too, never a contractor.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Had to rely on the rac friday night as my tyre popped coming back from the sister in laws. Tyre was shredded so needed the truck to get the car back. Spoke to the driver who said he had to take someone from surrey to portsmouth the night before but had no cover. Cost him 300 big ones.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have RAC cover - £16 a month for joint cover with the missus, covers the driver and not the car so whatever car we are in (driving or passenger) is covered. Provides us with At Home, Roadside Recovery, Onward Travel, accommodation and hire car if necessary. Had it for several years now, called them out a number of times and never had a complaint. Always an RAC man too, never a contractor.
Yeah my mum rates RAC but I just like the breakdown cover AA offer which could come in handy.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I had an AA warranty once with a car that I bought. It wasn't worth the paper it was written on. Had a few faults with the car and they wormed their way out of paying each time.

I've had RAC break down cover for a few years now and have used it a couple of times, they've been brilliant. Once a rear wheel bearing locked up on my wife's mk6 fiesta, they came out, drove her to work, went back, removed the drum, got a new bearing, took the drum back to their depot to press out old bearing, fitted new one, got the car back together again. He then drove to my wife's work, picked her up, took her back to her car then followed her back to her work to make sure she was happy with it. All this from a roadside assistance guy who could quite easily have said just recover it to a garage.

My money is with the RAC!

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,348 Posts
I was most impressed with them when my partner got a puncture just as she arrived home. The locking wheel not socket needed attention (I'd told her to get it fixed ages ago, what can you do!) and try as I might I could not undo the locking nut with it. I called the RAC thinking all he'd be able to do was tow it somewhere but he actually fixed the locking wheel nut socket by fashioning new rods for it out of a piece of scrap in the back of his van, got the wheel off and fitted the spare.

She STILL hasn't got the socket fixed properly......

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
They are all as bad as each other, re the AA, I have relay for both the St and Elise and the parts and labour cover for the St, last year £150, renewal came through this year £250+ . I have never claimed, the ST does under 4,000 miles a year and the Elise, normally less than 2,000 if that!

Now lets put this in to perspective, for the same miles, use, I have fully comp cover on both cars, the Elise has agreed value for £900 give or take, yet if we break down in either car it will cost say £200 for recovery and if it is the ST £500 max for repairs so that is £250 for £750 cover, now if I small either car it will be a couple of £k for repairs plus the pi that with no doubt be claimed etc. how the heck can the recovery people justify such premiums???

Especially as as a new customer I can start a new AA policy for £160 this year!!!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I would never touch them again for a warranty had my cambelt go on my l200 well it was actually the bolt which holds the tensioner on snapped causing the belt to slip they said we only cover the belt and nothing else they said its an uninsured item causing damage to an insured part and I was £1500 down, warranty wise do cover items like that so IMO are a much better company to deal with IMO and have very little small print compared to the AA......

·
Administrator
Mk2 RS MP350
24,585 Posts
If you shop with Tesco you can pick up RAC cover for half price on a clubcard deal.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Just had the renewal in from the AA for the Wife and Me...£222.....Thieves......they will be put in the hat just for trying it on......the AA are not the AA anymore...they are owned by speculators.

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
I would never touch them again for a warranty had my cambelt go on my l200 well it was actually the bolt which holds the tensioner on snapped causing the belt to slip they said we only cover the belt and nothing else they said its an uninsured item causing damage to an insured part and I was £1500 down, warranty wise do cover items like that so IMO are a much better company to deal with IMO and have very little small print compared to the AA......
The parts and labour cover bought with breakdown cover is different to their warranties (all warranty companies are the same, I have always had to argue to get a claim paid)

·
Formerly Azionamento
2,760 Posts
I'm with the RAC and have used them probably 6 times in the last 10 years (never for the ST I hasten to add) and each time they've been excellent.

I had my ST serviced yesterday and they presented me with a little folder when I picked it up saying I qualify for free 'Ford Assistance' - I haven't read the details yet but apparently it's roadside, recovery and home start...for free as long as it's serviced by Ford. Anyone know if it's any good?

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,348 Posts
I'm with the RAC and have used them probably 6 times in the last 10 years (never for the ST I hasten to add) and each time they've been excellent.

I had my ST serviced yesterday and they presented me with a little folder when I picked it up saying I qualify for free 'Ford Assistance' - I haven't read the details yet but apparently it's roadside, recovery and home start...for free as long as it's serviced by Ford. Anyone know if it's any good?
I've got that with my 3 year service plan, it's an extension of the Ford Assistance you get with a new car. As far as I know it's basic AA breakdown cover.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts