Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my ST for a month now and love it to bits, but my only concern is its far far worse at fuel than i anticipated, I would of been happy to get 20-25mpg which is way the average seems to be for everyday use, but having filled up last week using sainsbury's super unleaded, putting £41 in the tank, its now time to fill up again having only covered 130 miles.

£41 was ~38 litres or 8 gallons which would mean im getting ~16mpg! which is appauling considering I don't have a heavy right foot and often keep the rpm below 2500 as most of the driving I do is low speed town or a roads.

Any suggestions on how this can be improved on ?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
control your right foot?

when i first got mine it dropped sometimes as low as 9mpg
but now im getting roughly 21 in town 32 motorway

remap helped actually. before that i only got 15-18 in town

·
Captain Slow
16,274 Posts
Does sound rather strange if you haven't got a heavy right foot, I'm seeming an average of 26MPG. Maybe a trip to the dealers is called for to see if there's anything wrong

·
Registered
536 Posts
I get about 28 at the moment too - thats a mixture of restrained cruising on the motorway and the odd blast down the country roads!

Worst I've seen on mine was when the missus had it - she doesn't even drive fast but when I was in the car with her I noticed she really stretched it out in 1st and 2nd and that rinsed fuel!

·
Registered
720 Posts
In a previous job I had a 3 mile commute in stop start traffic across town and I struggled to get 18 mpg out of the car. So would not be far off what you are getting.
Now, I have in region of 30 miles to travel and I am getting 24-27 mpg.
Just one of the sacrifices for driving a fast car.
Would any other, heavy 2.5L turbo charged car do any better in the city commute?

·
Registered
909 Posts
Doesn't sound right. I was getting around 27 mpg constantly in mixed traffic with a heavy foot everytime I got bored i.e. every few miles

To be getting 16mpg consistently without a problem would need some serious effort and speed.

·
President of the Universe
3,942 Posts
Agreed. Something is amiss.

I consistently get 27mpg, and that includes the stop/start 7 mile run into and back from work each day.

As a point to note, when Rambo ate his MAF sensor a few weeks ago his fuel consumption PLUMMETED. He was DRINKING fuel.

Worth getting the MAF checked? They do appear to be made of Ovaltine on the ST.

·
Registered
61 Posts
QUOTE(choccymonster @ 10 Nov 2009, 09:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Agreed. Something is amiss.

I consistently get 27mpg, and that includes the stop/start 7 mile run into and back from work each day.

As a point to note, when Rambo ate his MAF sensor a few weeks ago his fuel consumption PLUMMETED. He was DRINKING fuel.

Worth getting the MAF checked? They do appear to be made of Ovaltine on the ST.
Hi mate, when i aquired my car it did the samething as yours, i took it straight to my local dealer for them to plug it in. They couldnt find any fault but re set the system and iv had no trouble since. Hope ya get it sorted

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cheers for the replies guys, will certainly get the MAF sensor checked out as even when going on long trips where its primarily motorway driving the MPG rarely went above 20, sure i do enjoy the engine noise from time to time but certainly don't think the fuel consumption i've been getting is right for how i drive.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I tend to avg 28-32mpg an get about 350miles to a tank, BUT earlier this month the turbo temp sensor had a fault an the fuel ecconomy plumetted to low 20's high teens. Quick plug into the dealers computer an the sensor replugged an all is fine now. Think a tad to your dealer is in order bud, car still under warranty?!

·
Registered
13,907 Posts
QUOTE(madmossy @ 10 Nov 2009, 06:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Had my ST for a month now and love it to bits, but my only concern is its far far worse at fuel than i anticipated, I would of been happy to get 20-25mpg which is way the average seems to be for everyday use, but having filled up last week using sainsbury's super unleaded, putting £41 in the tank, its now time to fill up again having only covered 130 miles.

£41 was ~38 litres or 8 gallons which would mean im getting ~16mpg! which is appauling considering I don't have a heavy right foot and often keep the rpm below 2500 as most of the driving I do is low speed town or a roads.

Any suggestions on how this can be improved on ?

It does sound a bit thirsty to me, it would be worth getting a re-map, you will get a small increase in fuel consumption, maybe 3-4 mpg.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Id say its running very rich, depending on mileage, I would think maybe a lambda sensor showing signs off failure. A worn MAF sensor is more likely to make the car run lean than rich. It could also be a worn temperature sensor. Although i dont think they are particularly common failures on the ST, a worn or faulty temp sensor will make the ecu think its not up to temp and overfuel. Get it to a dealer for some diagnostics.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.