Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't really like seeing the snow on my ST, but it made for some good photo opportunities

These shots both got taken with a Canon EOS-400D using auto exposure bracketing to get the HDR effect.
Enjoy!

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah - you need a tripod.
You get your camera and tripod set up and the put the camera in Programmable mode which allows you to tweak the picture parameters.
The Canon has an AEB (autoexposure bracketing) feature in the menus which you need to activate.
Then you take three shots in quick succession (I use a remote cable to avoid camera shake).
Because of the AEB setting, the first shot comes out normal, the second dark (underexposed) and the third light (overexposed).
Then you go home and load the three photos into a package such as Photomatix Pro and this lets you create the final HDR shot.
Without meaning to stray off topic, you can get some pretty interesting effects (admin please delete these shots if out of scope!).

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE(killer10971 @ 19 Jan 2010, 10:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>how much did you under/overexpose by ????

cheers

It's -2EV and +2EV on the camera (with 0 as "normal") - not sure what all that translates to in photography terms though!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh yeah - a couple of other tricks I use... I've got a 10-22 mm lens for some wideangle shots which can look really dramatic.
Also, I use a polariser filter which can cut out unwanted reflections and effectively "see through" glass / water which would normally reflect like a mirror.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE(bluestdublin @ 19 Jan 2010, 11:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>nice pics

is it me or are they pre facelift wheels on that , they look well

Good question...how can you tell?
It's an 08 model but someone else said the same thing...hmmm...

Attachments

·
Registered
662 Posts
QUOTE(brettjbuckley @ 19 Jan 2010, 11:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Oh yeah - a couple of other tricks I use... I've got a 10-22 mm lens for some wideangle shots which can look really dramatic.
Also, I use a polariser filter which can cut out unwanted reflections and effectively "see through" glass / water which would normally reflect like a mirror.

It's nice to see someone putting their camera to proper use - I would love to have time to experiment and work out how to do things like this, but alas - my SLR is in constant point and click mode

ST looks great obviously, but really amazing landscape pics

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
QUOTE(brettjbuckley @ 19 Jan 2010, 11:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Good question...how can you tell?
It's an 08 model but someone else said the same thing...hmmm...

Yeah you're right...I just did a bit of reading.
It's an 08 ST-3 and was first registered in June or July of that year.
Interesting that it has the older wheels (in mint condition).

·
Registered
261 Posts
QUOTE(brettjbuckley @ 19 Jan 2010, 11:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yeah you're right...I just did a bit of reading.
It's an 08 ST-3 and was first registered in June or July of that year.
Interesting that it has the older wheels (in mint condition).

Are you the first owner? If not, then perhaps the previous owner used one of the part-ex refurb companies and didn't realise he/she was getting the pre facelift version.

Very nice pics.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Cracking snaps.

I like the pre-facelift wheels on that.

I have a set in the loft from my old Foci Titanium. Would look good refurbed up in black or black chrome.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
QUOTE(indyjukebox @ 20 Jan 2010, 01:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Are you the first owner? If not, then perhaps the previous owner used one of the part-ex refurb companies and didn't realise he/she was getting the pre facelift version.

Very nice pics.

The car did have a previous owner who I believe had it from new and sold it after 12 months to the Ford garage I bought it off.
It just seems odd to me to have a Facelift 08 model with the older 57 (or whatever) style of wheels on it - doesn't bother me because I like them and they're flawless.

Incidentally however, the rear right wheel arch (and surrounding area) looks slightly darker orange that the neighbouring paint work - I can't see any suggestion of any body work damage at all, but find it hard to believe that the factory would turn out a car with an inconsistent finish. I'll try to capture it on a photo but it's quite subtle and "fades into" the driver's door a little. I did wonder if the previous owner had scraped the car and got it resprayed.

I should really try to contact him and find out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts