Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just bought a 60plate ST2 with 15.5k on the clock!

Picking it up soon..

Few little things I just want a bit more clarity on if anyone can help..

Assuming the Clutch hasn't been dropped at ridiculous revs to take off in the car, with a remap, will it start to slip or am I better upgrading the the RS clutch first?

Liners.. This is one of the things that put me off buying on, but seeing as I had a Volvo with a similar engine, I decided that its a lottery and providing I take care of the car, it should be fine
.. How different would the block be from my MY10 to an RS?? Given the liner issue on all years, did Ford do anything to fix the issue?

Thanks!

That's it for now. I think!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Get a RS clutch if you're going to be tweaking, mine (2009)slipped after about 5 months, monkeyrider put an RS engine in his I think, if you got the cash its probably a worthwhile upgrade especially if you're chasing Powaah!

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Hi all,

Just bought a 60plate ST2 with 15.5k on the clock!

Picking it up soon..

Few little things I just want a bit more clarity on if anyone can help..

Assuming the Clutch hasn't been dropped at ridiculous revs to take off in the car, with a remap, will it start to slip or am I better upgrading the the RS clutch first?

Liners.. This is one of the things that put me off buying on, but seeing as I had a Volvo with a similar engine, I decided that its a lottery and providing I take care of the car, it should be fine
.. How different would the block be from my MY10 to an RS?? Given the liner issue on all years, did Ford do anything to fix the issue?

Thanks!

That's it for now. I think!
Your clutch may slip, it may not, depends on what sort of life it's had, or if its a
clutch. Mine has had 290ish bhp, more importantly 440Nm torque, for near on a year now, and 260bhp & 400Nm for the year before that, and hasn't slipped with 32k on the clock. Some have had cars mapped to over 300bhp with 100k+ mileage and still had the standard clutch in it. If the clutch does start to slip it can be driven around until you can afford it. It maybe worth being able to buy one if required though??

The RS block is different to the ST block as I believe the liners are treated(plasma coated) on the RS to make them stronger, but it isn't believed that any STs were made with the stronger block, the story started that when the RS was first produced they shared the smae block with later ST's.........then a FL liner cracked. There have been cases of standard STs cracking liners, although it isn't as widespread as what you think from the stories on here. It's just so talked about that it puts the scares on people.

Cracked liners are caused by build up of heat and ovaling of the liners, which then leads to cracks. There are currently 3 options to act as a preventative, Darton liners(not widely used due to cost), Jamsport Block Mod(currently being run on some extremely high powered 400+bhp STs', Dreamscience are releasing a block mod too(not sure if it has been released or not but being tested on some TurboX cars). It's up to you if you want to spend around £800 for the JS block mod or not though. It is widely thought that as long as the car is warmed/cooled properly, it should be ok as long as it isn't pushing silly power. Although removing as much excess heat from the engine/oil as possible is a good idea, I'm probably going to get an RS oil cooler fitted next service, but doubt i'll get a block mod. If my liners go I'll probably get an RS block and RS turbo.

·
Registered
436 Posts
As nick says its a clutch/dmf lottery. Mine was fine on bluefin stage 1 but only lasted 2 days on stage 2! As for the liners don't worry about it. One of my mates has worked at arnold clark ford for 7 years and he has seen 3 sts back for the liner problem, all standard and none above 50k on the clock. Yet there is a mechanic who also works there and his st is modded to the hilt and has never had a problem but its been well looked after. Just service it regular and enjoy

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I pick up the car Friday, so will have a good journey in it this weekend standard. Then make my mind up which mods first!

Thanks for the replies!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts