Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
1,285 Posts
I have seen this earlier today... its hard hitting, harrowing and upsetting but my god does it get the message across.

The Aussie are amazing at cutting drink / drive and road related deaths by their advertising techniques.

The slogan used to be ... "If you drink and drive, your a blood-y idiot" ... how very true. (spaced for censorship)

Please please, don't drink and drive. Have a safe one this year and drive carefully.

·
Registered
506 Posts
QUOTE(Storm @ 22 Dec 2009, 05:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have seen this earlier today... its hard hitting, harrowing and upsetting but my god does it get the message across.

The Aussie are amazing at cutting drink / drive and road related deaths by their advertising techniques.

Please please, don't drink and drive. Have a safe one this year and drive carefully.

You have posted my sentiments exactly, they should show this sort of thing over here!

Neil

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
+1

I don't think this country would be "allowed" to show that even after watershed. But if it did, I'm positive it would save at least one person's life, if not hundreds! It shows the brutal reality of it all rather than just some facts and a warning, which I imagine until you experience it first hand, mean little or nothing at all.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Its about time this country did show adverts like that and i dont really care about the watershed time either. If our youngsters see that at a youngish age then maybe it will be drummed into them when they come to drive. Have seen too many things like what was shown on that advert and iv only been qualified for 3 years and watching it brought a tear to my eye as i have been there when parents family etc have been told that their love one didnt make it. Its the most heart wrenching thing ever to witness.

·
Registered
648 Posts
its not just drink thats the problem

i saw some idiot last week in a scoob (not the cars fault...just the [email protected] driving it) overtake 3 cars before a blind bend

i missed the vehicle coming round the corner by inches...inches that wouldnt have been there to spare if it hadnt been a luton coming the other way...as it was going slow, holding up a whole line of cars

the dude was doing at least 100mph in a 40mph limmit!!!!!!

he [email protected] himself though, as he swerved badly to miss the luton

fast cars and little boys dont mix well 9 times out of 10

·
Registered
244 Posts
Similar thread to one I saw last year I think.

Don't think they make any difference to people who drink and drive.

These adverts don't shock me at all. It's just an advert.

I don't watch Terminator 2 and think Terminators are going to kill me.

People that drink and drive, think it will never happen to them, because they are thick.

It may influence a small minority of people, and if it does, that's great.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Pretty horrific stuff.

Totally agree that they should show things like this over here.

People that drink/drug/dangerous drive only think of themselves, They dont think about the families they destroy when things go wrong.

Drive safely today and every day.

·
Super Moderator
Volkswagen Tiguan R-Line Tech 230
8,086 Posts
I shall be showing that to my 2 kids . The son has been driving 18 months and the daughter starts in Feb . I know that the son does not drink if he knows he is going to drive , but it's something that the wife and i always remind him of !!!!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
QUOTE(admire that @ 22 Dec 2009, 10:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Similar thread to one I saw last year I think.

Don't think they make any difference to people who drink and drive.

These adverts don't shock me at all. It's just an advert.

I don't watch Terminator 2 and think Terminators are going to kill me.

People that drink and drive, think it will never happen to them, because they are thick.

It may influence a small minority of people, and if it does, that's great.
That's because Terminator 2 is fiction. This advert is anything but. I consider myself a pretty unflappable individual but
was that hard to watch.

Unfortunately I agree with you though, I don't think things like this make much difference. It may hit home to sensible folk like us, but we aren't the ones that need convincing. If you're stupid enough to drink and drive in the first place chances are you're just going to ignore this thinking "it aint gunna happen to me".

Still, if it makes just one person leave their car keys at home I think it'll have been worth it.

·
Registered
825 Posts
QUOTE(Storm @ 22 Dec 2009, 05:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have seen this earlier today... its hard hitting, harrowing and upsetting but my god does it get the message across.

The slogan used to be ... "If you drink and drive, your a blood-y idiot" ... how very true. (spaced for censorship)

The aussies are also very proactive on random breath tests... i was in Melbourne last July and they cordoned off several blocks in the central business district and breath tested every single driver within the block!!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Just a seperate point I thought I would make here. I also don't want people to think for one second I am saying there is any excuse for drink driving, because there isn't.

The amount of money it costs me in taxi fares at this time of year is ridiculous. I don't personally struggle for money too much, so I pay my money and off I go (If I couldn't afford a taxi, i wouldn't go out).

I think some kind of cap on the amount of money you'll have to pay for a certain journey length would be an idea.

I'm not saying for one second here that the excuse "Oh well if only I could afford a taxi I would have got one" is valid for one second.

BUT

If again it stopped just 1% of idiot drink drivers that's good isn't it?

Because I'm sure there are people that drink and drive that wouldn't have, if the taxi home was a reasonable price.

·
Registered
120 Posts
QUOTE(Mart170 @ 22 Dec 2009, 07:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>+1

I don't think this country would be "allowed" to show that even after watershed. But if it did, I'm positive it would save at least one person's life, if not hundreds! It shows the brutal reality of it all rather than just some facts and a warning, which I imagine until you experience it first hand, mean little or nothing at all.
completely agree i think we dont emphasize it enough over here.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I agree with the posts above that point out that as hard hitting a film as that is, it will only affect those who are already of the sensible thinking brigade. To those who continue to think "it'll never happen to me" there is no film that could make them change.

More police on the streets doing random breath tests is the way forward. Catch them in the act and get them off the roads for good!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts