i was thinking of getting my focus st converted to 4wd
i have been told you can use the volvo c30 AWD parts with slight modifications
power engineering said they could fit it for about £2500 if i get the parts
if anyones done this or heard of this let me know thanks

·
Registered
224 Posts
Got this from a german site;
Wer nun immer noch nicht über den mangelnden Allrad-Antrieb hinwegsehen kann, dem sei an dieser Stelle ein phosphor-heller Lichtblick gezeigt. Wie ich dem RS-Entwickler John Wheeler entlocken konnte, sind sich Ford Focus und Kuga unterm Blech so ähnlich, dass die komplette Hinterachse des Allrad-SUV auch im RS verbaut werden könnte. "Ford-Tuner, die sich schon länger mit der Marke beschäftigen, sollten das ohne große Probleme hinbekommen", erklärt mir Wheeler. Selbst wenn so ein Umbau mit 10.000 Euro zu Buche schlagen sollte, bekäme man einen 305 PS starken Ford Focus RS mit Allradantrieb also zum gleichen Preis wie einen Evo X und für WRX STi. Ausstattungsbereinigt dürfte der Ford allerdings immer noch deutlich günstiger sein.

To go short; John Wheeler (RS-development) says the Focus can be converted to 4x4 with the rear axe from the Kuga as the underpinnings are basicly the same.

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
The info above translates to

QUOTEWho cannot away-see now yet over the all-wheel drive lacking, that is here a phosphorus-bright ray of hope shown. As I could draw John Wheeler from the R-S developer, itself Ford Focus and Kuga are so similar under the sheet metal that the complete rear axle of the Allrad SUV could be blocked also in R-S. " Ford Tuner, which are occupied already longer with the mark, should without large problems hinbekommen" , Wheeler explains to me. Even if such a change with 10,000 euros should strike to beech, one would thus receive 305 HP strong Ford Focus R-S with all-wheel drive at the same price as a Evo X and for WRX STi. Equipment might be however still clearly more favorable Ford.

Can't quite make sense of it all but considering Ford have limited the power in the Kuga 2.5T (197bhp, 320Nm) due to drivetrain limitations I wouldn't think using that rear diff/axle set-up would be that practical for taking standard ST horsepower and torque let alone RS type performance.

Being fairly familiar with the underside of my ST I'd be curious as to where a propshaft might fit too.

In an interview about the RS Jost Capito admits Ford tried a 4wd set-up but it wasn't enough fun, I'd hazard a guess that they couldn't get decent enough performance out of the 2.5T motor to overcome the extra weight and transmission losses of 4wd to still provide adequate performance.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Hmm I would get that price in writing from PE If I was you, I have good friends that have spent lots of money with them in the past the last few years and the price will rise unless you get it on paper first

There is no point in doing the conversion IMO the car will be fine and quick at the 300bhp mark. If you want 4x4 go for something like the S3 or golf.

·
Kalmar Union
1,301 Posts
There is no Volvo C30 AWD in production, it was ready to go about now with AWD and a higher powered version of the Volvo built RS engine but was pulled at the last moment, whether it will go into production in the new year is anyones guess.

However you could use all the parts out of a Volvo V50 AWD which has been in production for several years now....you would have to change the fuel tank as well as a few other not so obvious items.

Myself....I would buy such a V50 T5 AWD and start from there....I have got stacks of performance stuff for it....

Regards, Don.

·
Registered
14,681 Posts
It's not a great 4wd system anyway, I wouldn't bother.

I know many argue that it was a cost issue, but at the end of the day Jost Capito and TeamRS decided the RS was more "fun", and indeed in the real world faster, in a fwd format.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i hate that i cant get the power down and the car spinning but i dont want an s3 if it can be done im looking 2 do it have u got any lsd's going cheap don lol

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I have exactly the same problem mate but i am going to try a quaife first. if I'm gonna as far as FWD might as well do it properly,
cossy power will be needed for FWD in my opinion which i think will be my way forward if I'm not happy with the quaife .

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
QUOTE(kevin @ 6 Nov 2009, 09:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have exactly the same problem mate but i am going to try a quaife first. if I'm gonna as far as FWD might as well do it properly,
cossy power will be needed for FWD in my opinion which i think will be my way forward if I'm not happy with the quaife .

Kev, give me just over 2 weeks and ill let you know how the Quaife is doing!

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
A 4 wheel drive system is possible, a swedish company called BSR have done it and run 450bhp but only had 425Nm of torque. When i got speaking to they guys at goodwood two years ago they said they had to do this because of the poor rear diff on the haldex system.

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
QUOTE(TheCustomTouch @ 7 Nov 2009, 01:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>A 4 wheel drive system is possible, a swedish company called BSR have done it and run 450bhp but only had 425Nm of torque. When i got speaking to they guys at goodwood two years ago they said they had to do this because of the poor rear diff on the haldex system.

Weird the latest Haldex system is good for up to 800bhp and 600 ftllb before needing any upgrade, the Veyron runs haldex at 1001bhp,, though as the Turbo x has proved power isnt everything. It should be remembered that many a Quatro is actually a Haldex system and the transmission losses are negligible.

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
QUOTE(Dave Henshall @ 7 Nov 2009, 03:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>the veyron transaxle was developmed by Ricardo with a haldex 'type' diff, they are not all and the same!

It runs a Haldex system, coupled to a Ricardo box.

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
QUOTE(TheCustomTouch @ 8 Nov 2009, 12:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Im sure the haldex system differs car to car si, otherwise the spares market would be a very easy game.

Sizes etc yes, specs not hugely, the variances are in the generations and most of the Haldex parts are easily interchangeable. Clearly the Veyron is a special but in general the Haldex kit has been used for years on cars running far more power than the ST will ever offer

·
Registered
98 Posts
So surely there must be a way of usingthe haldex parts that fit the ST, then maybe upgrading the weaker parts to the more hardcore parts from other syststems. Im quite interested in this as i keep getting tempted away to subarus and evos, but would love a focus that was like them as its different !

1 - 20 of 49 Posts