Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Last week, I rang around for quotes for the "second year 25000mls service" and was given a good quote by a Ford dealer whom I've used before.

While collecting the car after the service I enquired if the brake fluid had been changed, the girl at the desk wandered off for a moment then came back and said that it didn't need changing as it "was checked" and the car is not yet 2 years old. The car will be 2 years old in less than 6 weeks.

Now, I'm wondering whether the brake fluid change was inclusive in the service price or whether they would have stung me on collection? (I didn't enquire prior)

So can anyone tell me
  • Am I right to feel a but miffed?
  • Should I complain?
  • Will the car need the fluid changing in the next 6 weeks to keep my warranty?
What do you think guys and gals?

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Brake fluid changes/ Pollen filters/Fuel filters etc are not part of the standard service, they would be charged as an extra on your service when they are due for checking/replacement.

You will find the tech tested the brake fluid using funnily enough a brake fluid tester and if it meets the minimum specs of dot4 fluid then he would not have changed it.

You can ask for it to be changed and you would be charged accordingly.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
QUOTE(goonturbo @ 22 Dec 2009, 10:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Brake fluid changes/ Pollen filters/Fuel filters etc are not part of the standard service, they would be charged as an extra on your service when they are due for checking/replacement.

You will find the tech tested the brake fluid using funnily enough a brake fluid tester and if it meets the minimum specs of dot4 fluid then he would not have changed it.

You can ask for it to be changed and you would be charged accordingly.

Pollen Filters ARE part of a standard service, some dealers choose to do them every other year but they are still part of the the standard service. Fuel filters, air filters, sparks etc are all standard parts of a major service. The ST however has no changeable fuel filter.

A brake fluid change should be done every 2 years, the dealer should automatically ask you about it when you book your car in for a 25k/2yr service etc. Unlike the above parts the brake fluid change is charged out as extra because it is not classed as a standard part of the service, even though it needs doing!

Cheers

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I had to ask my dealer if the brake fluid change was included in their £250 price and got a resounding no but was told they'd love to do it ... for £49.99 extra.
So I took it to profile and had the second service AND fluid change done for £189

1 - 7 of 7 Posts