Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi people,i currently have bluefin on stage 2 but have heard dream science is better. i have seen a few second hand come up for sale with mod c on them. do i have to pay to unlock it if i buy a second hand one and what parts do i need to run mod c. thanks

·
Captain Slow
16,287 Posts
IIRC an updated handset with Mod B+ / Mod C is locked to the particular car and will need to be re-set by the DS boys!

As for Mod C, it's designed to run on fairly heavily modified cars. To get the best out of it you need to have sorted out the induction, larger intercooler and a FULL exhuast system

·
Registered
327 Posts
I thought that you dont have to reset the handset unitl all lives have been used, but shouldnt run your
car on Mod B+ / Mod C if i doesnt have the modes required for these remaps but i could be wrong, hope not.
As i have just bouhgt a 2nd hand handset
with four lives left and this has Mod B+ / Mod C on it. Can
any one clear this up?

·
Captain Slow
16,287 Posts
QUOTE(bully09 @ 15 Dec 2009, 04:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I thought that you dont have to reset the handset unitl all lives have been used, but shouldnt run your
car on Mod B+ / Mod C if i doesnt have the modes required for these remaps but i could be wrong, hope not.
As i have just bouhgt a 2nd hand handset
with four lives left and this has Mod B+ / Mod C on it. Can
any one clear this up?

Just found what I was after, and I quote the DS boys (well copy and paste
)

The New STRATAGEM 7 upgrade will convert all handsets to a DSF3000 type device which is unique to your processor code. For this reason as you will see on our website customers will need to use their handsets to read their strategy which is under "Vehicle Info" and this information is captured during your order. When you get your STRATAGEM 7 back you will need to perform the initial 40 minute upload of your exact processor code. This is the only way we can make this new load happen.
This means if you are 7BUF for example you will receive a STRATAGEM 7 load specifically for 7BUF. If you sell the handset on it will only work with customers vehicles who are also 7BUF, if they are different, example 7BUG the handset will need to be re-programmed by us again to match this. There is a lower cost of just £50 to re-program a STRATAGEM 7 handset from one calibration to another.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
The handsets with the Stratagem 7 upgrade (one with Mod C) only work on a vehicle with the same ECU version. If the person you are buying it off has the ECU 7BUG update and you don't you will have to get the update from ford or if you have the the 7BUG update and the handset is setup to work on a older ECU version you'll need to send it to DS and have it reprogrammed.

·
Registered
327 Posts
QUOTE(Mick @ 15 Dec 2009, 04:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The handsets with the Stratagem 7 upgrade (one with Mod C) only work on a vehicle with the same ECU version. If the person you are buying it off has the ECU 7BUG update and you don't you will have to get the update from ford or if you have the the 7BUG update and the handset is setup to work on a older ECU version you'll need to send it to DS and have it reprogrammed.

What about the standard remaps that was already on the handset? perf, perf + etc wont these work on any other car?

·
Registered
648 Posts
so BUG...and BUF...what is the 3rd one?

i ask this as i just sent mine off, and there were 3 different vehicle stratagies ... 378731, 382957, or 393284

i dont need to know this...im just curious

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
BUE

QUOTE(bully09 @ 15 Dec 2009, 04:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>What about the standard remaps that was already on the handset? perf, perf + etc wont these work on any other car?

I don't think so as it's the headset itself that is update not the new maps.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
is it just me or is all this mapping business very confusing? im trying to decide what type of mapping to get for my standard ST + k&n im looking at trying to get a used one.

·
Captain Slow
16,287 Posts
QUOTE(gizm0 @ 15 Dec 2009, 04:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>is it just me or is all this mapping business very confusing? im trying to decide what type of mapping to get for my standard ST + k&n im looking at trying to get a used one.

All depends on how far you intend to modify the car matey. If you want to go the whole hog (like me) you'll need a re-map that will take full advantage of the mod's your running

·
Registered
648 Posts
or take yourself to a local garage with a RR and they can map your car specifically, rather than a generic plug in

plus sides is your car is mapped to its full potential

downsides are that you cant take it off when ever you want to...or switch to different maps

·
Registered
327 Posts
QUOTE(Ryan @ 15 Dec 2009, 04:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Just found what I was after, and I quote the DS boys (well copy and paste
)

The New STRATAGEM 7 upgrade will convert all handsets to a DSF3000 type device which is unique to your processor code. For this reason as you will see on our website customers will need to use their handsets to read their strategy which is under "Vehicle Info" and this information is captured during your order. When you get your STRATAGEM 7 back you will need to perform the initial 40 minute upload of your exact processor code. This is the only way we can make this new load happen.
This means if you are 7BUF for example you will receive a STRATAGEM 7 load specifically for 7BUF. If you sell the handset on it will only work with customers vehicles who are also 7BUF, if they are different, example 7BUG the handset will need to be re-programmed by us again to match this. There is a lower cost of just £50 to re-program a STRATAGEM 7 handset from one calibration to another.

yes you are correct
just contacted DS and they have confirmed there is three chips 378731, 382957 or 393824. I can plug in the handset and scroll to read vehicle strategy and find out the 6 digit which will be one of the above and if i tell them the hanset ID DS will be able to tell me if the handset is ok for my car or not, fingers crossed.

·
Captain Slow
16,287 Posts
Just make sure that if your ECU code / number thingy doesn't match you DO NOT re-map the car. You'll fry the ECU which will be an expensive balls up

·
Registered
327 Posts
QUOTE(Ryan @ 15 Dec 2009, 06:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Just make sure that if your ECU code / number thingy doesn't match you DO NOT re-map the car. You'll fry the ECU which will be an expensive balls up

I know DS told me that aswell. am realy
OFF, I bought the DSCI handset from a member on here who advertised it on here. Feel like i have been ripped off, with the fuel it cost me to collect it from him and how much i paid and then a £50 reset charge i might aswell have bought a brand new one. Not very happy
and serously, serously
off

·
Registered
327 Posts
Just had a reply from DS and the handset i bought from a fellow member of the ST owners club will not work on my ST
. I now have to either pay £50 for the handset to be reset but this will only let the handset work on my car and any other that as the same ecu Vehicle strategy as mine
which will cutt down the resale value of the handset. The other option is to have the handset, what they call a Migration which cost £145
and that makes the handset back to standard and gives it 5 lives and will work on any other ST, but with what ive paid for the handset this will have cost me £465
for a second hand handset
. I am well
OFF especialy how i bought it in good faith from a fellow FOCU ST owner
and memeber. Do you think it would be only right for the seller to refund me some of the cost of what i paid for the handset or a full refund, would i be right in asking for one of these?

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Having read this I am thinking I may not bother buying a 2nd hand unit afterall.

Goodl luck sorting it out, Doubt you will have any real comeback buying second hand but you can always try and see how decent the guy is.

·
Registered
ST225 modified
4,072 Posts
QUOTE(gizm0 @ 15 Dec 2009, 04:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>is it just me or is all this mapping business very confusing? im trying to decide what type of mapping to get for my standard ST + k&n im looking at trying to get a used one.

No, its absolutely simple mate - buy a second-hand DS Stratagem for £300, plug-in, install your chosen map in only 4 mins, drive off and ENJOY !!

For most drivers, on most roads, most of the time, its all you could wish for performance-wise - and its a bargain

Just do it

1 - 20 of 26 Posts