Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was heading home from work tonight and noticed I had absolutly no turbo boost. When I accelerate it is as if the speed limiter is enabled and the boost gauge shows not reading at all. Anyone have an idea what this could be? Was fine this morning on the way into work so not sure. There are no engine warning lights or obvious fault codes.

Does anyone know the part number of the turbo fitted to these cars so I can quote it to the garage. I checked under the bonnet but couldnt even see the turbo lol.

As I am based in Birmingham I am thinking of visiting Gap Turbos. Anyone with any knowledge of this company?

Cheers
Si

·
Administrator
Mk2 RS MP350
24,449 Posts
Try doing a KAM reset or battery disconnect first.

It may be nothing more than a glitch.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is this a common issue then? Is the first time I've ever had this problem. I'll try to remove bluefin as that will reset the CAM

·
Premium Member
Mike Mk2 ST225
2,586 Posts
I would say it's highly highly unlikely your turbo has actually failed. If it had I'm sure you would know about it.

Unless I'm misunderstanding your thoughts.

I don't know about the mk3 specifically but an engines an engine, if you're not getting boost it could be a few things. I would guess it's most likely electronic, like the solenoid but might be worth checking a pipes not split or come loose- but I would expect that to throw up a fair few faults.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah the car seems to be running ok just without any type of turbo boost. No warning messages or lights and I can't hear any type of strange noises. It just worked Wednesday morning and didn't work in the evening when I left work.

Can't see any signs of a leak but I did have my air condensor replaced a few months back so I guess that could have disturbed something that has now worked loose.

Anyone know where the turbo is located? 😳

·
Premium Member
Mike Mk2 ST225
2,586 Posts
At the top of the downpipe, coming off the exhaust manifold.

On the MK2 that's at the back of the engine... Never really looked at the mk3 to know it's position in the engine bay

·
Registered
271 Posts
Had something one day where the car started running really badly and no turbo with a malfunction message on the dash. I stopped the car, started it again few seconds later and it never came back. Mountune checked boost pipes and so on as I had them replaces 6 months before, no issues there. No codes with the reader and took the car to Ford which couldn't find anything.

It only happened once and never came back.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didn't have any error messages or lights. One thing I do remember when I was having my aircon condensor replaced (and the undertray cover was off) there was a little excess oil around the back left corner of the engine, which I now know is below the turbo. There wasn't enough oil to concern me and engine oil levels were all fine (and are still fine) but I wonder if that is a clue to the potential problem.

Either way, I am popping into GAP Turbos tonight for them to have a quick look. I guess I might need to leave it with them for a few days to investigate / resolve. If they have to remove / repair / replace then I will be looking around £600....

·
Premium Member
Nick - Mk3.5 FL ST3 Moondust Silver
5,669 Posts
Anyone know where the turbo is located?
As mentioned it is on the back of the engine tucked against the bulkhead between the exhaust manifold & exhaust. If you go from the air filter & follow the big pipe across the engine down the back of the block you will come to the top of the turbo.

Just be glad you haven't got a Kia Venga TDi from Evans Halshaw in Doncaster. When the wife's car started playing up she took it to them as that was where it was bought from & was still under their warranty. Their garage supervisor was adamant that the turbo was 'attached to the back of the exhaust under the boot floor - somewhere near the fuel tank - but usually tucked away so you can't see it'........................

Thankfully the problem was a blocked air filter which I fixed - somewhere up the front of the car near the headlights...............................

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Aye hopefully it will be something easy to fix but this possible oil leak in that area is concerning me a bit now. Will see what they say.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts