Ford Focus ST Forum banner
121 - 140 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
MK2 facelift st 2000 puma millennium Chinese 125cc scrambler
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
I started working on the manifold this afternoon.
So I bought a cheap inlet manifold that looked far better in the pictures than it did coming out of the box. The previous owner obviously had a fetish for silicone as all the gaskets had it plastered both sides and all around the ports.
Outdoor shoe Font Walking shoe Art Athletic shoe

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system Gas

Land vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive exhaust Motor vehicle
Wood Nut Auto part Metal Fashion accessory

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Rim Nut

I stated with some gentle heating to loosen the bond then with a scraper pealed off the mix of gasket and sealant. Then with a wire wheel cleaned up the mating surfaces. I also started trying to clean up the manifold but with the angles and odd shapes there's lots to miss so I'll be sending it off to be aqua blasted.
Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Auto part

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Wheel Tire

Glove Bicycle part Metal Auto part Automotive wheel system

Now onto the fun part, I've got a mk1 2.0 mondeo throttle body that I've had modified to fit the 1.7 manifold. So the manifold will need opening up a bit to get rid of the step between the throttle body and manifold port.
One problem is a gasket, the original puma gasket is no longer available and the 2.0 mondeo gasket (also incredibly hard to come by) has the idle opening on the opposite side (which you'll see from the picture). Thankfully a guy on ebay still makes them out of that awful smelling gasket paper, which will allow me to make a template and make my own with the hole on the correct side.
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Headlamp Motor vehicle Gas

I've used a sharpie to mark out how much it needs opening up by, it's around 1.5mm all round.
Automotive engine gasket Audio equipment Gas Composite material Wood

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
I have no idea why some people smother silicone over everything :mad:

I was saying in my head that manifold is shouting out to be blasted.

Will you be getting the car remapped once you are done with the engine mods?
I've already got the ford racing puma map file tucked away so once it's all done I'll stick that on and see how things go.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
Carrying on. I fit the now ported manifold and 2.0 throttle body.
Motor vehicle Yellow Car Vehicle Automotive air manifold

Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Hood Automotive exterior

Hood Motor vehicle Car Automotive design Yellow

The standard 1.7 throttle body on the left and the polished and modified 2.0 zetec throttle body on the right.
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Headlamp

Vehicle Hood Car Motor vehicle Automotive design

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive air manifold Vehicle Car

A big improvement in low down torque and the flat spot before the vvt kicks in at 4500rpm and general improvement throughout the rev range.
A few weeks later I finished replacing all of the sensors. A new ait, power steering oil pressure sensor (which has an effect on the idle speed and causes the revs to hold at 1200 when coasting or stopping). I also fit a new genuine maf, these are now impossible to get as they've no longer available from ford thankfully I managed to source one that had sat on a shelf since 2002.
Fluid Material property Font Gas Packaging and labeling

Rectangle Packaging and labeling Electric blue Font Carton

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Asphalt Rim

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
An obvious sign ford are starting to cheap out on thongs, the original brass air intake temperature sensor and the new fiber/plastic one. Ironically the cheaper aftermarket sensors are still brass.
Motor vehicle Vehicle Audio equipment Font Electrical wiring

The oil pressure sensor was an absolute nightmare to remove, it fits into a section of pipe right on a bend with a rubber hose the other side. This makes it almost impossible to get anywhere to grip onto to stop the pipe twisting or bending, and having been there for 22 years certainly didn't help.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Line Hood

The puma is almost ready for the next modification, just need to replace the original fuel pump to ensure the correct fuel pressure and delivery.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 · (Edited)
Missed from the previous post. I also replaced the gearbox speed sensor. Its a bit of a fiddly job but made easier with the battery and box removed, also it was only held in by the last couple of threads which would probably explain the random erratic speed reading.
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design

The speed sensor I removed was a generic ebay part and had lots of marks that look to be plier or vice grip marks and it looks like it was plugged in before fitting as the wires were very twisted. I replaced with a genuine ford sensor and now have a nice smooth speedo.
Motor vehicle Gas Automotive exterior Auto part Nut

I also replaced the poly bushed gearbox torque link with a vibratechnics one.
Auto part Font Gas Tool Bottle cap

Audio equipment Font Circle Wood Spoon

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
Nice car you have there!

Shame it is written 1.7 L for displacement so it cannot go in the 1.6 L racing class - it would be a goooood candidate for hobby racing especially for slalom
Plenty do use the 1.6 version for rallying and auto testing I think there's a dedicated racing series for the 1.7 as well.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
This arrived today, so i guess thats this weekend sorted.
I found a complete wizards of nos kit on ebay new and unused with the bigger 11lb bottle. As a bonus it had a minimax progressive controller in the box too. This allows nitrous pressure to be built up over a period of seconds instead of the full hit when the pulsoids are activated, meaning more nitrous can be run in a safer way. In all it would have cost nearly £1400 new but managed to get it for £750.
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

The bottle looks much bigger in person, may be a bit of a squeeze in the boot of the puma.
Wood Bumper Musical instrument Hood Funeral

Electrical wiring Automotive exterior Bumper Trunk Automotive tire

Material property Bumper Gas Rectangle Audio equipment

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
Started on the nos install this afternoon, I'm still waiting for a few bits to arrive so just doing easy bits for now.

First off the bottle. Due to the way the boot floor is in the puma and from what I've read and been told, the bottle will have to be mounted lengthways instead of behind the rear seat. Id have liked to get ot closer to the side but due to the shape of the boot any further away from the center wouldn't allow the valve to be turned. So it's going to be a slightly less functional boot but at least there's a few cm clearance top and bottom.
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Car Vehicle

Marked up and pilot holes drilled.
Wood Rectangle Wall Font Automotive lighting

Holes taken out to 9mm for the rivnuts. The kit actually comes with self tappers to secure the bottle mount but I'm not really a fan of self tappers for securing a fair bit of weight.
Wood Amber Rectangle Wall Tints and shades

Before fitting the rivnuts I painted the holes inside and out.
Mount trial fitted.
Motor vehicle Wood Automotive lighting Vehicle door Line

I then removed the mount and put some holes in the boot carpet then refit the mount.
Automotive tire Asphalt Road surface Grey Wood

Hood Motor vehicle Yellow Vehicle Car seat cover

After that I fed the Nitrous feed line behind the rear seat and following the wiring loom along the side of the seat under the carpet and into the engine bay. The only other part I could fit is the nos controller and start some of the wiring. I bent the brackets into the correct shape to allow fitting in the glove box.
Tire Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Wheel

I'm going for a but if a stealthy setup with as much hidden away as possible. The arming switch will be in the Ash tray and I'll be using a spare fog light button woth a red led instead of the yellow one to take the place of the button blank and have that lit when the system is armed.
Trunk Automotive tire Hood Vehicle Bumper

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 · (Edited)
Some more work on the nos install today.
First off I fit the new colder spark plugs, I went for some denso itv16tt iridium plugs.
Office supplies Auto part Machine Audio equipment Wire

The pulled the injectors to ultrasonic clean them and fit new seals and filters.
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive air manifold Auto part Gas

Got to love the old denso side feed injectors.
Automotive tire Green Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper

Once the injectors and fuel rail were back on, I fit the schrader valve to 5mm adapter for the fuel supply.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Auto part Gas Shotgun

I tried a few places around the engine bay for fitting the pulsoids without drilling the bodywork.
Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood Automotive exterior Vehicle

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive exterior Auto part Car

Eventually settling with this using a home made bracket. Now I need to finish mocking up the fuel and nitrous lines then finish the wiring.
Motor vehicle Car Yellow Automotive design Auto part

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 ·
I've done a bit more on the puma this afternoon.
I fit the micro switch to the accelerator pedal, although I'm not happy with it (still it works and does the job) so I'll probably buy a throttle position sensor kit that takes the signal from the tps.
Hood Grey Bumper Automotive exterior Beige

I went for the first trial of the system with the wiring out and power and earth taken directly from the battery.
Motor vehicle Gadget Vehicle door Electrical wiring Steering part

A quick video of the pulsoids firing and the minimax controller working. The sound is poor but if you turn up rhe volume you can hear the pulsoids.
After the testing I started routing the wiring around the back of the dash and into the engine bay and finding a switched live feed.
Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive tire Vehicle door

Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Gas Auto part Wire

Now I'm just waiting for the wiring loom tape to arrive so I can keep the engine bay looking tidy.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 ·
Almost finished the nos install.
This evening I finished all the wiring and started wrapping it with loom tape. I used the original battery earth point as its close to where yhe wiring is routed.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive tire Steering wheel

Fitted the crossfire injector to the induction hose.
Motor vehicle Hood Light Bumper Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Fluid Water Liquid Gas

All the pipes are cut to length, just waiting for more heat insulation tubing to arrive then I'll tighten them up to seal the compression fittings.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Blue Automotive design Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Vehicle Automotive exterior

I've also fitted a new crankcase breather hose as the old one was getting hard and brittle.
Font Plastic Electric blue Plastic wrap Transparency

Scaled reptile Road surface Reptile Metal Twig

121 - 140 of 148 Posts