Ford Focus ST Forum banner
81 - 100 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
MK2 facelift st 2000 puma millennium Chinese 125cc scrambler
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Do ST170 discs and callipers fit? I know they are an upgrade on the fiesta ST150, but I believe 17” rims are required. Speaking of which, I do have a set of 17” Mondeo ST200 alloys sat in my shed, that could be had for a reasonable price😁, but they do need a refurb. They’re very similar to Puma Racing alloys.
Yeah the st150 is a common upgrade for the puma which I may look into in the future, although I plan on keeping it looks as standard as possible on the outside.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
So I'm still waiting for the driveshaft oil seal to arrive, decided to pull the shocks off and replace the tops mounts and bearing as the squeaking and knocking was driving me nuts.
Automotive tire Road surface Gas Automotive wheel system Circle

You can see the difference between the old and new.
Automotive tire Light Tableware Drinkware Tread

I also got the cat put back on.
Automotive tire Wood Grey Asphalt Road surface

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
I finally finished all the jobs and got it back on 4 wheels again today, started at 8am and finished and took it for a blast at half 5.
The first job was the brakes, remove the old rusty calipers and worn and pitted discs. I fit the new 258mm discs, carriers and new calipers as well as new flexi hoses. I had thought about going with some braided lines but with the puma it's a bit of a nightmare as they don't come with the supporting brackets that bolt onto the strut.
Here are the original 240mm discs next to the new 258mm and just for a laugh an old MK2 st disc.
Automotive tire Wheel Bicycle part Wood Rim

Azure World Font Electric blue Rectangle

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Locking hubs Vehicle brake Disc brake

Then I moved onto the coolant leaks. I traced it to the sort of manifold that sends coolant to the heater matrix and the radiator, once the hoses were off it was obvious that both hoses were leaking. With the housing being aluminium any coolant that gets between the hoses and aluminium fitting cause it to grow and deform the hose and push against the spring clip.
Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive design

Circle Road surface Asphalt Metal Soil

Automotive tire Asphalt Gas Automotive exterior Auto part

While I was there I replaced the coolant temperature sensor as well.
Light Headgear Hood Material property Bag

Once that was sorted I moved onto fitting the new engine mount. Should have been a nice easy job but it requires a 41mm socket to remove the aluminium part of the mount. Who the hell has a 41mm socket just sitting around.
Road surface Asphalt Gas Circle Auto part

Went for an easy job after that and replaced the throttle position sensor.
Light Product Auto part Electric blue Electronic device

By this point i was getting fed up and stopped taking pictures, but the next job was fitting the new exhaust. Nothing special just a cheap Hoffmann system to last until I get a decent system.
Nickel Auto part Metal Pipe Fashion accessory

Surprisingly it fit rather well, after reading posts from other puma owners it's supposed to be quite loud but compared to the st it's pretty tame.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
Thanks, the only thing is want from it is the interior but I've got nowhere to put another car. The drive is already full and my wife wouldn't be to impressed with another old ford hanging around.

·
Registered
Alan St500
2,595 Posts
Thanks, the only thing is want from it is the interior but I've got nowhere to put another car. The drive is already full and my wife wouldn't be to impressed with another old ford hanging around.
Haha she would love another old Ford hanging about 🥰 got to be worth that in parts 🤔 I would probably try and blag my Missus it was a project for her 🤣🤣🤣

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 · (Edited)
I fit the new multifunction clock, and made the wiring loom.
Rectangle Tints and shades Electric blue Gas Gadget

Circuit component Cable Electrical wiring Wire Fashion accessory

Automotive exterior Composite material Bumper Cable Wire

As the puma used the same cross member as the mk4 fiesta, the mounting hole for the ambient temperature sensor is there so an almost oe setup can be had.
Wood Electrical wiring Line Electricity Gas

Wood Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Bumper Electrical wiring

Vehicle Automotive lighting Light Automotive design Motor vehicle

I've replaced the old crusty millennium products center caps with some less cheap looking mk1 focus center caps.
Wood Nickel Currency Circle Close-up

Packing materials Electronic device Gas Electric blue Plastic wrap

Fit a k&n filter.
Brown Rectangle Font Wood Food

Painted the drums I've still not round to fitting to keep them looking tidy.
Blue Automotive tire Automotive design Gas Engineering

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 · (Edited)
Yesterday I decided to do the gearbox mount, it's not a job I've been looking forward to with there being two different part numbers for the mount but only one type available. The original part for model year 97 to 99.5 the holes on top are straight holes and the mount sits on top and is secured with studs and nuts from 99.5 onwards the holes are threaded and secured with a bolt through the housing into the mount.
So I order the febi part which is threaded, Naturally mine has the non threaded mount.
Wood Automotive tire Flooring Floor Automotive design

Anyway, here we go.
I removed the intake hose, battery and box. This gave ample room to access the mount, or so I thought.
Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Yellow

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Auto part Automotive exterior

Getting at the 2 bolts that secure the mount to the side of the chassis was an absolute nightmare even with a bendy ratchet spanner. I removed the nuts from the top of the gearbox part of the mount allowing it to move about and giving a bit more wiggle room.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive design

By this point it was dark so moved into the garage to figure out how to fit the wrong mount.
The old and new mount side by side. After measuring things there's very little difference between the two besides the threaded parts and the part where the mount sits on the studs.
Auto part Metal Electric blue Fashion accessory Personal protective equipment

I drilled out the threads in the new mount and removed the suds from the bottom part of the mount and opted for some febi shank bolts I had spare with the same thread as the studs. This allowed me to fit the new mount in the same position as the original with the only side effect being the gearbox being held about 3mm higher than with the original mount
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Machine Sports equipment Auto part

Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper Automotive tire Automotive exterior

I cleaned up the lower half of the mount and cleaned up the battery support and prepared it for painting.
Bicycle part Motor vehicle Rim Automotive exterior Bumper

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hand tool

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
This afternoon I had a bit more time on the puma.
I cleaned up the mess of crystallised coolant left behind after the leaking radiator hose and the oil sprayed everywhere due to the previous owner fitting the gearbox vent in the wrong way.
Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Gas Auto part Screw

I fit the new top half of the mount first allowing me to get to the 2 awkward bolts originally covered by the bottom half of the mount. Annoyingly the only information I could find about doing the job made no mention of removing the bottom part first and made out the only way to do it was to struggle like **** to get the bolts out. Well after much struggling it's far easier to remove the studs with an E8 female torx bit and pull the lower half first.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Rim

Bottom half fitted.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting Auto part

Again the early nights and cold put an end to things, so hopefully will get it back up and running tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
Finished the final few bits this morning. I refit the batter box, induction hose and battery.
Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design

I swapped out the Exide batter for the better halfords battery I had in the 924, more ah and CCA.
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive battery Automotive design Car

Took it out for a spin and the annoying knocking has gone.

81 - 100 of 145 Posts