Ford Focus ST Forum banner
61 - 80 of 91 Posts

·
Premium Member
MK2 facelift st 2000 puma millennium Chinese 125cc scrambler
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Some more fun with the millennium at the weekend.
Replaced the control arms as the ball joints were shot and one of the poly bushes was torn. I replaced the drop links while I was at it as well.
Wood Font Bicycle part Gun accessory Metal

This is where I should have left it, but me being me thought I do a few more bits. The exhaust is off center and doesn't sit correctly in the bumper cut out. I was hoping it was just a case of take the back box off and re position it. Well we all know what old fords are like and they never make things easy. I took the exhaust clamp off but couldn't separate the back box from the centre pipe, it was completely rusted solid. I moved onto the next join which is from the centre pipe to the cat, soaked in plusgas and got the blow torch on it and the stud broke of on the first attempt. By this point I was already ****** off and fed up, but moved onto the next join which was the cat pipe to manifold. Again doused with plusgas and had the engine running for a good 10 minutes, the first nut came off easily as did the second the third broke off straight away as did the fourth and the last one wound out with the stud. So I get underneath to try and move the cat down, although loose it wouldn't budge and I can't see what's holding it in place. After waiting for it to cool down I find the bracket with 2 13mm bolts holding it to the block, thankfully these came out easily. Straight onto the next problem, the cat won't pass between the bulkhead and the bloody driveshaft. Of comes the wheel again and pop the ball joints off again, surprise surprise the driveshaft is stuck in the hub **** **** ****. So off comes the knuckle (getting deja vu) with the drive shaft still intact which leads us to this picture.
Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle

Now finally I can drop the cat down, but now back to the original problem of not being able to separate the back box. By this point I've had enough so cut the back box off and removed the entire system.
Road surface Automotive tire Flooring Wood Tints and shades

As it's dark I move inside and start on separating the driveshaft from the hub. Luckily I had an old hub puller and was able to push the shaft out.
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Gear

Automotive tire Electrical wiring Gas Auto part Electrical supply

While it's off it would be mad to not change the wheel bearing so waiting for that to arrive.
Bicycle part Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gear Rim

Anyway back to the cat, using a laser stud remover I was able to remove what was left of the broken studs.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Rim Machine

·
Premium Member
Tangerine Scream ST3 2013, with some stuff done.
1,766 Posts
Well done to you bud, you’re a better man than me, doing all that outside at this time of year, although the weather hasn’t been too bad recently. 👍🏻

·
Premium Member
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Well done to you bud, you’re a better man than me, doing all that outside at this time of year, although the weather hasn’t been too bad recently. 👍🏻
Thanks, it's definitely not the the best working outside in the Cumbrian weather.

·
Premium Member
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Well this arrived today, which allowed me to continue with jobs in the puma.
Blue Gas Engineering Motor vehicle Machine

At a guess I'd say it's rebranded Chineseum but for what I need it's will do just fine.
I got cracking with the hub and bearing this evening.
Blue Vertebrate Azure Automotive tire Wood

It took 15 Chinese tons to get the ****** out but we got there. And the new skf bearing pressed in.
Blue Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Gas

·
Premium Member
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
That's not a bad looking bit of kit. How much?

Remember to wear your eye protection, and gauntlets to protect against HPI injuries 😂
Yeah, it's always a bit un nerving when getting close to the limit but then so satisfying when you hear the bearing brake loose and the pressure drop back down.
It was £300 delivered.

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
Yeah, it's always a bit un nerving when getting close to the limit but then so satisfying when you hear the bearing brake loose and the pressure drop back down.
It was £300 delivered.
That sounds a reasonable price, hope it serves you well.

When I did my front wheel bearings on a Mondeo of the same age, they wouldn't move at all even with the full 20 tonnes. Had to heat each one up with an oxy torch before they shifted and even then it took the full whack.

·
Premium Member
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
I need to get some decent blocks and supports, though managed to get it down with what I had.
I also bought these and can't fault them for how cheap they were.
Blue Rectangle Gas Electric blue Font

·
Premium Member
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
He was merely practising on his Focus!
Which I've decided that I'm keeping
having driven it this week while the puma is in bits my love for it has been re kindled, once the puma is back on the road I'll get started on the st.

·
Premium Member
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
When I bought the puma it came with a a boot load of spares, sets of tail lights and headlight, bits of trim and stuff some of which was absolute **** and was binned. But amongst the bits of rusty **** I came across these.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Wood

Initially I thought they were just a spare set of calipers but after looking at the calipers fitted, they're different. The numbers on the calipers are different and they're bigger. A quick search shows they're the revised part fitted from mid 2000 to the end of the run and are for 258mm discs instead of the 240mm Smarties that are currently fitted.
Anyway I sent them off to be refurbished last week and I've just had a notification saying that they've been delivered. I will get a picture up when I finish work.

·
Premium Member
Tangerine Scream ST3 2013, with some stuff done.
1,766 Posts
Do ST170 discs and callipers fit? I know they are an upgrade on the fiesta ST150, but I believe 17” rims are required. Speaking of which, I do have a set of 17” Mondeo ST200 alloys sat in my shed, that could be had for a reasonable price😁, but they do need a refurb. They’re very similar to Puma Racing alloys.

61 - 80 of 91 Posts