Ford Focus ST Forum banner
41 - 60 of 91 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
Ford want £73 for a new one, but it will be mid to end of next week before it arrives. So for the time being until that arrives I've got a cheap one off Amazon coming tomorrow.
IIRC it was about £50 for the valve back then, and I heard that ebay ones were a bit of a lottery so I just put up with constant warm air which actually wasn't too bad.

·
Premium Member
Tangerine Scream ST3 2013, with some stuff done.
1,766 Posts
EBay ones are fine tbh, there’s nothing to them, not like they’re a complicated electronic effort, just buy a few and keep a spare, it will still be cheaper than a Ford one.

·
Premium Member
MK2 facelift st 2000 puma millennium Chinese 125cc scrambler
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Spent some more time on the puma this morning.
I finally managed to get the oil filter off, although it needed the big wrench to get it moving.
Automotive tire Road surface Composite material Asphalt Musical instrument

At first the arms on the tool wouldn't grip the filter so had to improvise again.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive exterior

A short section on silicone hose gave the arms something to grip on and eventually it started to turn.
Bit of a naff picture as it was cloudy but the oil filter is bent and deformed due to how much force it took to get it to undo.
Blue Tin Aluminum can Tin can Road surface

New Mann filter installed, hand tight.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Hood

Then I moved onto the gearbox torque link, the old and original one was shot and the squeak every time I changed gear or let off the throttle was driving me nuts.
Handle Wood Household hardware Natural material Tool

Wood Tableware Kitchen utensil Plant Hardwood

And new one fitted.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

Still waiting for the hcv to arrive so fit some new bulbs as the bulbs fitted are pants.
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Gas Fluid Cable

Old Sylvania candle power on the left.
White Product Automotive lighting Lighting Gas

Gauge Circuit component Steering wheel Measuring instrument Auto part

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
I can never understand why people put oil filters on so tight. Had similar on a Fiesta once, and unfortunately despite being very careful the strap wrench caught and split the oil cooler too when undoing it, all because some half wit overtightened it.

·
Premium Member
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Well that was an absolute pain in the ****.
The cheapie hcv arrived as did some gearbox oil.
Automotive tire Tire Font Sports equipment Automotive wheel system

Dropped the gearbox oil and refilled with no problems, while that was draining I fit the hcv. What a pile of **** that it is, plugged it in and nothing no heat in the car and one of the pipes on the back isn't warming up. So I pull it back off and start testing it, sure enough when I add 12v there's no movement. I pull it apart to find this.
Guitar accessory Trunk Bumper Gas Automotive exterior

This was brand new and in a sealed bag, I guess you get what you pay for and thankfully I've ordered a genuine one. Anyway I've managed to cobble a hybrid together from the old and new.
Motor vehicle Audio equipment Electrical wiring Electronic instrument Electronic engineering

Finally managed to bleed the system and get the heater working again. If I wasn't in a pinch I wouldn't have bought the cheap one and would have just waited for the ford part to arrive.

·
Premium Member
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
EBay ones are fine tbh, there’s nothing to them, not like they’re a complicated electronic effort, just buy a few and keep a spare, it will still be cheaper than a Ford one.
I can 100% confirm this to be bull ****.

·
Premium Member
Tangerine Scream ST3 2013, with some stuff done.
1,766 Posts
Well I’ve fitted at least five over the years , on different cars, but not had a problem or a fail, I’m not saying the really cheap ones, but the ones around the £20 mark.

·
Premium Member
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I've had another session with the millennium this evening. When faffing with the hcv I noticed there was an oil leak from the cam cover so ordered a new seal, which arrived today.
Product Eye glass accessory Plastic Tints and shades Goggles

So thought I'd do the plugs, leads and coil pack while it's in bits.
Cover off, and noticed more oil leaking into to the spark plug well.
Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive exterior Auto part

Coil pack, leads and cover off and it looks like the last person to own it had trouble getting it to seal correctly as there's silicone everywhere, lots of it. Also I'd say they re used the rubber seal as it was quite hard and certainly showing its age.
Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design Automotive exterior

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

Anyway I cleaned up and fished out all of the silicone and cleaned the sealing surfaces. Also it looks like the radiator hose going into the head has leaked considerably at some point in the past as there's a fair bit of hard crystallised antifreeze on the coil pack mount and around the top of the hose. This will be the next job, new hoses all round.
Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Automotive exterior Auto part

Anyway, I gave the cover a bit of a clean and refit it.
Motor vehicle Vehicle Yellow Gas Auto part

I then fit the new coil pack.
Audio equipment Font Gas Motor vehicle Auto part

Rectangle Automotive exterior Material property Gadget Font

And the new plugs and leads and buttoned everything back up.
Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Auto part Car

Motor vehicle Automotive air manifold Yellow Car Vehicle

·
Premium Member
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I love it when the car feels smoother and nicer to drive after every job or replacing a part. It always amazes me how much difference a decent service makes.

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
A little bit disappointing that you get a car that is outstanding for its age and type in terms of body work to be let down by what appears to be substandard maintenance under the bonnet, but at least you've got a good grip of it.

·
Premium Member
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Yeah, isn't it always the way. The maintenance hasn't been terrible, just not up to my standard. As for the silicone though, I absolutely detest the use of it and those that use it when it's not needed. Even if a new gasket was used it would have leaked due to how tight the cam cover nuts were, they're supposed to be torqued to 10nm and I'd say they were more than double that.
Whoever maintained it was definitely in the mindset of the tighter the better.

·
Registered
2006, MK2, ST3 MD Silver
32 Posts
Attempted the oil change this evening, unfortunately it didn't go to plan.
Dropped the oil with no problems.
View attachment 904255

The sump plug was a bit tight for my liking on an aluminium sump but came off relatively easily.

View attachment 904256

Then it came to the oil filter, God knows what the guy who fit it was thinking but it's unbelievably tight. I tired the usual oil filter cup style thing which wouldn't grip it, there wasn't enough room to get my chain style tool around and I couldn't find my 3 arm jaw tighten as you undo style tool. So for now I've had to put clean oil in with a dirty filter. So that's just over 4lt of oil waisted as I'm going to have to do it again when the new oil filter tool arrives.

Anyway while I was out I changed the candle power side lights for some of the led bulbs I used on the st.

View attachment 904257

View attachment 904258
Screw driver through oil filter thèn lever it works for me.

·
Premium Member
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
I was taught do it right or don't do it at all. I got the filter of intact and without getting oil everywhere.

·
Premium Member
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Had half an hour on the puma last night, replaced the old frayed engine earth strap and the dying rear wiper motor.
Ok, so it's definitely overkill but I already had it and the original part is no longer available.
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior Trunk

The rear wiper motor wouldn't self park, would stop as soon as you flip the lever back and was rather jerky. £20 from a breakers and the problem was sorted. Also opened the replacement up cleaned and r e greased everything to hopefully give it an easier and longer life.
Automotive tire Light Gas Auto part Electric blue

41 - 60 of 91 Posts