Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First thing.. I had the rear brake pads changed 4 weeks ago during which time I've probably done about 700 miles but they don't seem to be bedded in yet.. they are not taking the surface rust off the discs, any thoughts?

secondly i have a strange "tapping" noise which seems to be coming from the drivers side rear wheel area, at first I thought it was something in the tyre (it was that kind of noise) so I checked the tyre and found nothing. I then removed the wheel and checked in the arch for anything loose that could be flapping about and catching on the wheel, again nothing. It only seems to happen at low speeds and even then it's not all the time, although it's more often than not. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
Not taking the surface rust off? Sounds like they arent working at all mate. Is your handbrake working and does the car still brake effectively or fell a bit spongey.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
if there not takeing surface rust off the disks then the pads faces arnt touching the actuall disk face ,surely youd notice this by way of your brakes are way down on what the performance used to be .
as previous poster has said hows the handbrake ?is the pedal spongy?does it travel down nearly to the floor ?
me thinks you need to sort this asap my friend .

·
FocusSTOC Nut!
17,448 Posts
sounds like your rear brakes are'nt working correctly mate. get them sorted asap.
the clicking noise sounds to me like its sometheing to do with the brakes.
thought initially it was your driveshaft clicking but then i noticed its coming from the back.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
when I first had them done they were very spongey but the braking performance now seems no different than before and the handbrake is working fine, unless of course i'm just more used to it.
It's not all the disc that has surface rust.. just the innermost 3/4 of an inch so it seems some of the pads are in contact, i'll get 'em checked though

·
Registered
71 Posts
belive or not the rear pads can be put in the wrong way ford done it with mine had a knocking noise and car didnt feel right hope this helps marcdavid

·
Registered
150 Posts
sounds like your pads are just bedding in to your worn discs, as for the noise have you tried spinning the wheel with the car jacked up? does the noise go away when you apply the brake?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE(pepsisteve @ 22 Feb 2010, 12:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>sounds like your pads are just bedding in to your worn discs, as for the noise have you tried spinning the wheel with the car jacked up? does the noise go away when you apply the brake?

yes it goes away when i apply the brakes.

took it back down to polar ford this morning, explained it to them, bloke came out and took a look and said it looks like it's only braking on 3/4 of the disc (which is basically what i just told him) anyway i've booked it in for tomorrow so they can check it out.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well they reckon they have done the brakes, they said it was some grit/tarmac marbles in the calipers stopping the pistons pushing the pads.. strange to get that on both sides at the same time don't you think? I am thinking that they made some sort of
-up when they changed the pads the first time but don't want to admit it.

Anyway they do feel a little better and the weird noise has gone ( well I haven't heard it to and from work last night) so I'll keep my eye on the discs and see if they're getting cleaned up by the pads now.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
glad you have got it sorted now ,or seem to .
have to agree tho strange to get it both sides !!
bloddy frauds there terrible at times .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts