Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this possible because my parents internet lags so, so bad lol
I want my own phone line, I don't want anyone to be saying move out or change ISP though.
Thanks James

·
Registered
216 Posts
I want my own phone line, I don't want anyone to be saying move out or change ISP though.
Thanks James
no infinity or cable in your area bud? if your parents internet is so poor. chances are yours will be too as it will be going along the same distance to the same exchange. in fact it will be in the same cable from your house to the green box at the least surely.

or you could ask them to move out??

·
Banned
7,732 Posts
Thanks James
When I moved into our house we had 3!!!

Sounds like a good thing, but it wasn't as I didn't know this. Basically I wanted to get a phone in, but kept being told time and again that we had a working phone line and had to wait until it powered down. Got told it should take a couple of weeks, then a month, then 3 months, on and on and on. Timescales kept getting longer.

Anyway eventually I got through to a technical guy who told me what to do. I went round every phone socket trying my phone. I found the working line in what is now my daughters bedroom. Once I had that I could find the number and then get it canceled. After that I got my phone line.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Yeah not hard, youll need an openreach engineer out probably as itll need a pair proving from the pole and the 2nd pair connection inside

Wont be be as i work in chester but its easily enough.. just make sure the area you live doesnt have poor speeds anyway and having a second line wont help?

·
Administrator
Mk2 RS MP350
24,591 Posts
Are you saying that the problems are caused by concurrent use of the same line or that the line is slow?
If it's the latter, a separate line won't help you.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Are you saying that the problems are caused by concurrent use of the same line or that the line is slow?
If it's the latter, a separate line won't help you.
What he said, ring up and raise a broadband fault, we can come out and check the line etc and generally boost the speed up 75% of the time with simple changes.

·
Administrator
Mk2 RS MP350
24,591 Posts
Good point.
You could also check if you have interleaving switched on.
I can switch this on or off directly and easily through my ISP but some other ISPs may make it more difficult to do.
Switching it off will reduce latency but may also cause the connection to be re-negotiated at a lower speed because of a higher error count.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Right so basically its all good playing Fifa online all fine, then someone switches the main computer on or my brother goes on his iPhone internet or laptop, or anything then as soon as any other thing is on the internet will either lag or disconnect, its on AOL but trying telling a man my dads age about the difference in ISPs lol, looking to move out within the next year but I want to do something about it now
So would another phone line help? Surely!?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Right so basically its all good playing Fifa online all fine, then someone switches the main computer on or my brother goes on his iPhone internet or laptop, or anything then as soon as any other thing is on the internet will either lag or disconnect, its on AOL but trying telling a man my dads age about the difference in ISPs lol, looking to move out within the next year but I want to do something about it now
The more people it will share the bandwith so thats why your experiencing the lag, were is the router/modem? you could try get it located next to your console wired in and everyone else is using it wireless may have a better effect but the more people using it is going to slow it down some what anyway.
so i suppose in way if you have your own line with no one else connected it will be better, is it worth the extra cost of line rental, monthly broadband bill etc?

Do you have fibre in your area? Thats worth it if you can upgrade to that. If you are planning on moving from AOL .. id suggest Plusnet ... they seem to be about the best from what customers tell me. all i do day in day out pretty much is broadband faults. What a hassle it can be at times hah

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well there is no chance it will be changed or upgraded so I may just get my own line, tbh money isn't the problem

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Well there is no chance it will be changed or upgraded so I may just get my own line, tbh money isn't the problem
Fair enough go for it then, just make sure you get a similar speed as the other line when 10 days after it first syncs to make sure you getting the best seed for your money, and it should lag as much as no one else is using it.. but it will slow at peek times still

·
Registered
962 Posts
Is it just FIFA that it lags on or anything in general? I've found that FIFA is horrendous for lag, there's games where the ball completely disappears. AOL I've found from past experience are awful, your better sticking with BT, Virgin or Sky. I dont see how a second line will help, other than giving you exclusivity to the connection and most probably an unneccesary bill. As mentioned above, peak times will still affect the speed...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
All Internet and Xbox live also I need the 'exclusivety' because it only lags when multiple things are using the Internet at once

1 - 14 of 14 Posts