Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
My mate got himself a white RS a few months ago, well I saw him for the first time in a in a while yesterday and he asked if I wanted a "run up the road" in his new motor.

In I jumped all excited about the next few minutes of what should have been a great experience, but what a dissapointment.

As soon as we pulled off the drive I could feel how harsh the suspension was and as we went over the first of three speed humps I thought something was going to fall off the dash, it really was that hard. As we set off the exhausts opened up and there was a nice deep growl as he excellerated up the bypass.

He asked how it compared to out ST and tbh it didnt seem that much quicker, well it did cos the ST was on the stock map, but with the remap on I thought there was very little difference.

The cornering was where the suspension came into its own and as we went round the roundabout it was totally flat even at *cough* miles per hour, as we set away back down the bypass and he really opened it up it didnt feel as though 300bhp was pushing me back into the very nice Recaros, it just felt kind of normal.

When we got back to his, we jumped in to the ST and did exactly the same route, apart from half way through I called back home and remapped it, went straight back out and did the second part of the trip. His comment was "
ing hell, its totally transformed the car"
To say he was impressed with the difference is an understatement.

To sum up I would say the RS`s are great looking cars escpecially the white he has
, and it would be great to have as a second car just to pull out of the garage and give it a blast along the B roads or go to one of our meets.

As a day to day car for me the ride is just too harsh, and, its too expensive to run, he said he would be lucky to get 18+ mpg. Im not too sure what kind of driving hes doing to get those figures?

Great car to look at but couldnt justify paying all that money for a Ford Focus.

·
FocusSTOC Nut!
17,448 Posts
i drove one also mate & was very dissapointed. an st with a remap is a much more comfortable way to get about.
thought my st was quicker myself.
an rs would come in to its own on the twisties though.
a remapped rs might be a totally diferent animal though.
i have read reports that suggest they make no where near 300bhp on a rolling road. more like 280!

·
Registered
481 Posts
Now you have gone and ruined it for me
I plan on keeping
for another 18 months and then look at swapping for a
but i was hoping that i would notice a big difference compared to the

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
QUOTE(DurhamLad1973 @ 7 Feb 2010, 11:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>its too expensive to run, he said he would be lucky to get 18+ mpg. Im not too sure what kind of driving hes doing to get those figures?

My ST is only just better than that at approx 20mpg

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
exacly the same feeling here when i drove one from ford where i work. the power felt more tame but it did feel like i was driving something more "sporty" the noise is a little nicer and its nice to be sitting in an RS knowing people are looking at the RS. alot of money for a badge to be fair..

·
Registered
261 Posts
QUOTE(Russeh @ 7 Feb 2010, 01:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i cant get past the styling on it, its terrible! espeically that spoiler

Yes, couldnt agree more. Very chavvy, but then some people love it so much that they plonk it onto a ST as well.

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
QUOTE(Thunder#59 @ 7 Feb 2010, 02:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>lets do a real comparrison when DS etc release the maps for the RS

if the ST transforms....then i bet the RS will do also
You could argue that you shouldn't have to sling a remap on a £26K+ car to make it feel better than a modded ST, especially when you account for the Mountune version being a Ford approved add-on.

I got a short drive in one recently but it's still very new and being run in so couldn't explore the performance that much. Did feel every bump and undulation in the road I drove down though.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
QUOTE(troy45 @ 7 Feb 2010, 02:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You could argue that you shouldn't have to sling a remap on a £26K+ car to make it feel better than a modded ST, especially when you account for the Mountune version being a Ford approved add-on.

+1. Couldnt have said it better myself mate!

·
Registered
293 Posts
i had a sit in one and i much prefer my st so many more gadgets and the seats are a world more confyer
i think the rs is ideal for someone who uses it not very offen not to comute and to rag it round the track.... im sticking with my good old st

·
Registered
648 Posts
QUOTE(troy45 @ 7 Feb 2010, 02:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You could argue that you shouldn't have to sling a remap on a £26K+ car to make it feel better than a modded ST, especially when you account for the Mountune version being a Ford approved add-on.

i spose so, but any car is there to be modded if the owner chooses to

there are modified cars at all levels

·
Registered
824 Posts
I don't think they're as sought after as Ford hoped, I was in Stoneacre Thirsk this week and they have a blue one sat in the showroom.
I remember the MK1 had zero depreciation for a couple of years.

·
Registered
158 Posts

I got a short drive in one recently but it's still very new and being run in so couldn't explore the performance that much. Did feel every bump and undulation in the road I drove down though.

Could say a £23K ST should not need a remap to be brought to life either?

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
QUOTE(FRS0603 @ 7 Feb 2010, 03:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Could say a £23K ST should not need a remap to be brought to life either?
Spend your £23K with the right dealer and you'll get the Mountune for free. And a higher interior spec car than an RS!

·
FocusSTOC Nut&#33;
17,448 Posts
QUOTE(treborrobert2 @ 7 Feb 2010, 03:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I don't think they're as sought after as Ford hoped, I was in Stoneacre Thirsk this week and they have a blue one sat in the showroom.
I remember the MK1 had zero depreciation for a couple of years.

the mk1 is a far better interpretation of an rs imo, feels far more "alive" when you drive it, than the new model which feels a far heavier car. colin mcrae had a hand in development of the mk1 & it shows! they're an angry wee beast! but still no where near as useable as an st on a day to day basis. at the end of the day £26k for a focus,
, could get into a porsche for that money & still prob have better fuel economy!

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
Looking at Stu's yesterday I was a tad disappointed to see the way they've adapted the wheelarch liners off the normal Focus (or ST) to suit the RS. Extra bits just stapled on ffs.

I will admit i'm not a fan of the green one but when he turned up here yesterday morning when it was light fog the colour looked very vibrant

1 - 20 of 82 Posts