Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I just want to rack your brains, I'll be picking up my new motor in a few weeks time,

Its another members WR330 she's allready fitted with AP 4pots, but I've been offers some 12 pots at a great price which will still fit behind the standerd alloy with spacers,

The 12 pots are made by "winner power" they do loads if work for jap cars and alot of german too, here's a pic,

http://www.bvo-auto.com/12.html

Question is what set up do you all think is the better? And does anybody know anything about winner power brakes?

In all honesty all I know is the weigh 4kgs each and look the dogs danglys!

Thanks in advance all.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Audi S3 Sportsback
8,082 Posts
Have you looked into the spares situation with the 12 pots and if you want an upgrade from the Ap 4 pots why not go for the 6 pots with 362mm disc's. From a spares point with Ap pretty much anything can be sourced in no time at all

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Yes the AP's are tried and tested and yes spares are easily available for the AP's, but lets be serious here, the winner power calipers look super nice.

And you will find that due to the increased surface area of the twelve pistons and the 4 pads per caliper the brakes should be improved over the AP's.

Tarox do 10 piston kits for certain cars, the only problem you may have is more pedal travel due to the 12 pots requiring more fluid to move the pistons.

How much are the 12 pots coming in at?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is my problem the kid in me saying get the 12pots there cool and on a serious note as you have all said the AP's are tried and tested,

Goonturbo

I can get the 12 pots 2nd hand they have only coverd a few k and will set be back a grand! Plus spacers and longer studs.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
If the winner ones are good for jap cars and the parts are available..its a no brainer i'd say! Can never have to good a set of brakes!

Then you can sell the AP's cheap to me

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE(NickC @ 30 Jan 2010, 11:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If the winner ones are good for jap cars and the parts are available..its a no brainer i'd say! Can never have to good a set of brakes!

Then you can sell the AP's cheap to me

Ha like it bud,

I've been offerd £900 fir them another reason I'm tempted with the winner powers! ( they wont really cost me anything) The reason they are for sale is they are off a demo car which is being stripped and sold,

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd love to get the AP 6 pots but one it means going to 19's more money and two it will cost me about £600 to upgrade aswell,

With what I can get for the APs on the car the 12's would be a near on free upgrade!

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
I would stick with the AP 4 pots. They were developed by AP racing to work with the standard 18" ST wheels and are an excellent set up.

Are they blue by any chance? Fitted to a white car with blue stripes?

Cost approx £1800 new.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE(Allan @ 31 Jan 2010, 05:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I would stick with the AP 4 pots. They were developed by AP racing to work with the standard 18" ST wheels and are an excellent set up.

Are they blue by any chance? Fitted to a white car with blue stripes?

Cost approx £1800 new.

Yep that's the kit/Car carnt wait just need mine to go now carnt wait!

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
I have a set of 6 pots that were made by "Winner Power"! I fitted them briefly and had a lot of issues with them! The worst issue was that when i used them in earnest they cracked the discs! I now have the 4 pot APs that are the same as are fitted on the car you are buying! That might tell you something! To be honest unless you are just using the car on track even the 4 pots are total overkill! They are powerful enough to bring the ABS in without even trying! Dont waste your money unless all you want is bragging rights at Maccy Dees!

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
I looked at all the brake upgrades out there suited to the ST before i bought my AP 4 Pots, i then sold them after about 6 months, worst mistake i ever made, soon as i got another chance i bought the AP 6 Pots, stick with the AP mate, they will still sell for £1k all day long in 1/2/3 years time

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cheers everyone.

AP's all the way by the sounds of it! Definately not running the risk of a cracked disc!

Fishface it's Not about Bragging rights down maccy dees although I do think they would look immense!

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
QUOTE(C8DGY @ 31 Jan 2010, 01:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Fishface it's Not about Bragging rights down maccy dees although I do think they would look immense!

As i said the only reason to upgrade from AP 4 pots for the road would be for looks mate! Each to their own in that respect but i try to only buy things that will actually improve performance or improve reliability!

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yep I'm alot the same bud, but I do also like my car to be abit differant to the one next to me etc,

No doubt 12pots would be over kill but like you say if it's a upgrade and one that wouldnt of cost me anything I'd be mad not not to thing about doing it.

Sounds like the APs are the way forward I've heard nothing but good stuff about them, I try to squeeze as many track days in as possible normally 5/6 a year so not loads by any means,

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
QUOTE(C8DGY @ 31 Jan 2010, 02:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yep I'm alot the same bud, but I do also like my car to be abit differant to the one next to me etc,

No doubt 12pots would be over kill but like you say if it's a upgrade and one that wouldnt of cost me anything I'd be mad not not to thing about doing it.

Sounds like the APs are the way forward I've heard nothing but good stuff about them, I try to squeeze as many track days in as possible normally 5/6 a year so not loads by any means,

Ive yet to get the APs on the track as they were only fitted in November but im sure i wont be dissapointed and nor will you! Youll be needing the Quaife ATB diff next!

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
QUOTE(fishface31a @ 31 Jan 2010, 03:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ive yet to get the APs on the track as they were only fitted in November but im sure i wont be dissapointed and nor will you! Youll be needing the Quaife ATB diff next!

yep mate I'm hoping to have the quaife and RS clutch/flywheel done end of march!

Should be fun!

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
QUOTE(C8DGY @ 31 Jan 2010, 07:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>yep mate I'm hoping to have the quaife and RS clutch/flywheel done end of march!

Should be fun!

Hope to see you at a trackday soon matey! Be good to compare ideas!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts