Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
That is shockingly bad! Your average Joe would be introducing themselves to their new cellmate by now. The fine is ridiculous considering his earnings and the request to have 21 days to pay in when he could spend it in a shop or bar without even thinking twice about it is absurd.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
QUOTE(LawwaST @ 29 Jan 2010, 11:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That is shockingly bad! Your average Joe would be introducing themselves to their new cellmate by now.
Just speeding will not result in a custodial offence.

His legal fees would far outweigh any fines imposed by the court.

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
QUOTE(yoinkster @ 29 Jan 2010, 11:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If you were caught doing 104 and in a 50, what would you expect to be your punishment? Would you say a 4 month ban? No, me neither ...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/8486666.stm

No that justice in this country stinks or anything ...

I am not sure what the problem is?

I had a ban of one month years ago for a similar offence, there is no suggestion of dangerous driving he simply broke the imposed speed limit.

Your average Jo would have got a similar punishment with a substantially lower fine.

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
QUOTE(razzleultra @ 29 Jan 2010, 12:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>IANAL etc.

Isn't the issue though that 'Jo Bloggs' would be lucky not to get hauled up on dangerous driving if he were to get caught doing 104 in a 50?

I dont believe so. The dangerous driving part is as much to do with the road type as the imposed limit.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE(Si @ 29 Jan 2010, 12:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I am not sure what the problem is?

I had a ban of one month years ago for a similar offence, there is no suggestion of dangerous driving he simply broke the imposed speed limit.

Your average Jo would have got a similar punishment with a substantially lower fine.

The ban should at least have been heavier and, as razz says, I'd expect to get done for something more substantial than just "speeding" for doing twice the limit. Reckless driving or something, there's plenty of different offences I just can't remember their names now.

Certainly, you don't feel as though justice is done here. The fine is pathetic and the ban doesn't even get close to his wrist. More of a wave than a slap.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
QUOTE(yoinkster @ 29 Jan 2010, 12:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The ban should at least have been heavier and, as razz says, I'd expect to get done for something more substantial than just "speeding" for doing twice the limit. Reckless driving or something, there's plenty of different offences I just can't remember their names now.

Certainly, you don't feel as though justice is done here. The fine is pathetic and the ban doesn't even get close to his wrist. More of a wave than a slap.
My mate got caught doing over twice the limit last summer, he received 6 points and £500 fine...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Slightly off topic, but in Belgium there isn't a points system just fines. I got done by a mobile car (which they have a lot here) doing 68km/h in a 50 zone which was adjusted to 60 giving me a 50 euro fine. Basically 5 euro per km/h. But as with the UK over 100mph you're looking at a ban.

Cheers,
E

·
Registered
360 Posts
It does come across as disproportionate and laughable....However...

The trouble is we dont get enough factual information about the criminal justice system and sentencing to determine what is "fair", our knowledge and understanding is generally built on the reporting of the media, which by its very nature reports on items at the extremes of the scale, which inevitably is going to impact on how our opinions are formed.

Granted that having your own experiences within the system will again alter your opinions depending on how your involvement arises. It would appear from experiences here that the punishment given is in the norm, why should someone be punished for an offence based upon there income, if they earn more we as a society expect them to pay more for the same...how is that fair?

I for one would expect an equal and fair ruling irrelevant of my circumstances.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
In all honesty, if asked the question I would have imagined it being a fine and not a ban so 4 months ban seems a bit harsh to me.

Fines shouldn't be related to income, why should he be penalised more for being successful. he probably pays more in tax than we all earn!!

Can't remember if the A3 is a dual carriageway now from my time working down there, but it's probably one of those roads that was always a 70 limit and has been knocked down to 50 thanks to a few muppets that can't drive crashing, and in reality it wasn't that dangerous doing 104 in a Lambo.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
QUOTE(Emirates @ 29 Jan 2010, 01:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Slightly off topic, but in Belgium there isn't a points system just fines. I got done by a mobile car (which they have a lot here) doing 68km/h in a 50 zone which was adjusted to 60 giving me a 50 euro fine. Basically 5 euro per km/h. But as with the UK over 100mph you're looking at a ban.

Cheers,
E
Ive had a run in with the Belgian police and was caught doing 46kmph over the limit, I was told had it been 50kmph over the limit I would have been banned. I was relieved of about EUR 200. They used a grid system to determine my fine so agree it's probably x amount per kmph.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The Belgians have bank/credit card machines in the van too, for everyone's info they're quite alert on foreign speeders, not as bad as the French though.
Back on topic, thinking about footballers doing this stuff did Ronaldo ever get any grief after writing off his Ferrari under in the Manchester Airport tunnels?

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
QUOTE(AC555 @ 29 Jan 2010, 01:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It does come across as disproportionate and laughable....However...The trouble is we dont get enough factual information about the criminal justice system and sentencing to determine what is "fair", our knowledge and understanding is generally built on the reporting of the media, which by its very nature reports on items at the extremes of the scale, which inevitably is going to impact on how our opinions are formed. Granted that having your own experiences within the system will again alter your opinions depending on how your involvement arises. It would appear from experiences here that the punishment given is in the norm, why should someone be punished for an offence based upon there income, if they earn more we as a society expect them to pay more for the same...how is that fair?I for one would expect an equal and fair ruling irrelevant of my circumstances.It is only speeding after all!Under guidelines he was midrange for his offence, which means probably that they looked at his plea of mitigation. For a straight guilty in attendance he would as Jo public been given 2 months ban and around £345 fine, 70 quid costs and a small victim surcharge. So he got hit pretty heavy to be honestQUOTE(Emirates @ 29 Jan 2010, 02:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The Belgians have bank/credit card machines in the van too, for everyone's info they're quite alert on foreign speeders, not as bad as the French though.Back on topic, thinking about footballers doing this stuff did Ronaldo ever get any grief after writing off his Ferrari under in the Manchester Airport tunnels?I was relieved of nealy 400 Euro by the French, I could have paid a bit and filled in a bit of paper for the other bit as far as I remember but I was late for my ferry as it was

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.