Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
CP320
1,748 Posts
I owned my previous 2005 PFL ST for 4.5 years and, while I loved it for feeling so fast, it was far less reliable.

It had done 35000m when I p/x'd it, during which time it already needed a new alternator, brake discs, CV boots and some drive belts. There was also a never-traced awful rattle from somewhere under the car. The paintwork never looked that great either.

My 2008 FL car has been near faultless in comparison.
I think you just got unlucky with your PFL. Sure some issues were ironed out but the FL shares so much in common mechanically that there can’t be much difference in reliability overall.

·
Registered
CP320
1,748 Posts
Maybe...

I think my PFL was one of the earliest (Sept 05) so perhaps it had the most faults to be ironed out.

I remember back in the 70's my dad told me the best cars to buy were the last ones of a model run, not the first.

Having said that I just checked its MOT history and it's still on the road at 17yo and done 100,00m ! :D
Yeah I completely agree that as time goes on the engineers will discover and fix underlying faults but the point I was making is that there is very little mechanically different between the PFL and FL cars.

Glad your old car is still going strong! (y)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts