Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
ST225 modified
5,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow... I just realised that I've had my current Mk2 ST for 10 YEARS ! Bought In Aug 2012 at 4 yrs old with just 11,000 miles and one-owner. :p

Ten years... this is 3 times as long as any other car I've ever owned and must say a lot about how good a car it is. :cool:

It's pretty much my perfect car - fast, tuneable, sharp-handling, mega-reliable, comfortable and great-looking. :D

I commuted in it for 7 years and it was driven hard every day... and then again at weekends on the local lanes. :D

Its been used for holiday's twice a year too and I'm off to the Yorkshire Dales in it next Friday. (y)

What a car. :love:

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
I'm on about 12 years by far the longest I've ever owned a car. Been running cp340 for a good few years now and it's never missed a beat. Had permission from the wife a few years ago to get a different car but couldn't think of anything. Maybe the new rs3 but can't justify the price. Was looking on carwow for a new golf r for her with options it was £40k and delivery was unknown

·
Registered
ST225 modified
5,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
ST225 modified
5,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
BTW, the car has now done 58,500m and has been remapped and on lowering springs since I got it. But it's still on the original clutch and driveshafts !

It's only had the usual tyres and brakes, plus servicing. And the only actual mechanical faults have been a small boost leak and the very recent instrument cluster repair.

Inside nothing has ever broken, failed or fallen off. There are no creaks or rattles, the front Recaros are still in excellent condition and the rear seats are like new. The air-con is still blowing cold having never needed a re-gas !

I had one bump, hitting a kerb hard avoiding another car. I thought the front corner would be destroyed but I just got a puncture and a scuffed alloy. I later replaced the strut as it was dented, but the car had still driven perfectly. This ST is like a tank as well as all its other attributes.

No wonder I've held on to it so long. :)

·
Registered
Tangerine Scream ST3 2013, with some stuff done.
2,834 Posts
I’ve got a bit of a way to go, not had mine three years until May, longest I ever had a car, was eight years, with a mk3 3.0 S Capri, I am intending on keeping this one for as long as possible, or until we all get priced off the road of course. 😆

·
Registered
ST225 modified
5,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I owned my previous 2005 PFL ST for 4.5 years and, while I loved it for feeling so fast, it was far less reliable.

It had done 35000m when I p/x'd it, during which time it already needed a new alternator, brake discs, CV boots and some drive belts. There was also a never-traced awful rattle from somewhere under the car. The paintwork never looked that great either.

My 2008 FL car has been near faultless in comparison.

·
Premium Member
Graham - mk2 stage 3
6,061 Posts
I owned my previous 2005 PFL ST for 4.5 years and, while I loved it for feeling so fast, it was far less reliable.

It had done 35000m when I p/x'd it, during which time it already needed a new alternator
The early cars had alternator issues - including mine! 3-3.5 years was the average life but they did improve them. The one that replaced my first in late 2009 one lasted around 8 or 9 years before it needed replacing.

·
Registered
CP320
1,897 Posts

It had done 35000m when I p/x'd it, during which time it already needed a new alternator, brake discs, CV boots and some drive belts. There was also a never-traced awful rattle from somewhere under the car. The paintwork never looked that great either.

My 2008 FL car has been near faultless in comparison.
I think you just got unlucky with your PFL. Sure some issues were ironed out but the FL shares so much in common mechanically that there can’t be much difference in reliability overall.

·
Registered
ST225 modified
5,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I think you just got unlucky with your PFL. Sure some issues were ironed out but the FL shares so much in common mechanically that there can’t be much difference in reliability overall.
Maybe...

I think my PFL was one of the earliest (Sept 05) so perhaps it had the most faults to be ironed out.

I remember back in the 70's my dad told me the best cars to buy were the last ones of a model run, not the first.

Having said that I just checked its MOT history and it's still on the road at 17yo and done 100,00m ! :D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts