Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get a subwoofer for the car. Been looking at the active vibe cbr subwoofers. Question is should I get 10 inch or 12 inch?
I want clean punchy bass in my car. Nothing over the top that will make my car fall apart but I don't want it to be too quiet on the bass front..
Any info or suggestions on sub sizes would be brilliant!

Also was looking at the twin 10 inch fli subwoofers. What would the difference in a twin 10inch compared to a single 12inch sub?

Thanks in advance!

Rob

·
Registered
79 Posts
Its a funny thing cause its all about make and box spec.If u go for a 10 inch go for a good make cause u will get a better sound,but if your box is ported it gives u a drone bass to a sealed box witch is a hard bass.

My choice is a sealed 12 inch with a pre amp (pre amp helps with fine tuning).

good luck

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
10" = hard punchy
12" = deep/low

also depends if box is ported ect a sealed box is more punchy too where a port will let it go deeper. also there is such thing as bass quality so dont always just go for the cheepest.
ive got 2 alpine type R's. for the money there insane. really good quality. had some diamond gear before that.was alot better but cost alot more and i had a few problems with them. so tried alpine as they were on sale and my mates were great.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good taste mate! I just ordered the same headunit! Hopefully recieve it on Monday!

Do you have any pictures of it?

How would you rate the sub for sound quality any distortion? Punchy?

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
As said go for quality I had some 10" infinity Kappa ina sealed box, while not the loudest (not what I wanted anyway) the sound quality was great, I recall the speakers were powered by some quality Alpine amps (this is well over 10 years ago so can't recall details)

·
Registered
918 Posts
From my experience in ICE world a 12" is a better all rounder - can do the loud bits and then go down for good quality.

Used 12" subs in my cars for all the competitions been in and came did pretty well against the Bass Mechanix cars and Team Turners cars.

All comes down to the quality of the gear - a Boston G5 12" Sub is fantastic - been around a while but thats for a reason - with a Rainbow iPaul Mono amp is fantastic expect 145dB+. But at the same time is good enough for SQ comps.

Rob

·
Registered
67 Posts
I would go 10". I run a Focal 11" V1 sub, in a 30L ported box, which I custom made to fit the boot. It's rated to 300wRMS from memory, and I run it off a 500wRMS amp. With the boot being pretty much open to the cabin you don't need a giant sub to get impressive bass, mine can go to cringe levels way before it reaches its limits, but I dial it way down so it blends in well with the speakers.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
[quote name='RobboST' date='2 Jan 2010, 04:43 PM' post='634904']
Looking to get a subwoofer for the car. Been looking at the active vibe cbr subwoofers. Question is should I get 10 inch or 12 inch?
I want clean punchy bass in my car. Nothing over the top that will make my car fall apart but I don't want it to be too quiet on the bass front..
Any info or suggestions on sub sizes would be brilliant!

Also was looking at the twin 10 inch fli subwoofers. What would the difference in a twin 10inch compared to a single 12inch sub?

Thanks in advance!

Rob
[/quote

Hi, I run a jl audio 10 inch sub in a sealed box, it gives nice tight quality bass. I agree with the feedback you have been given on here. I do feel the quality of your kit is more important than 10 inch or 12 inch! (sounds familiar dont it lol!) You do need a decent amp to run it too, again I have gone for a 6 channel jl audio amp fed by an alpine head unit. To be honest I wouldnt fit twin subs, much better in my opinion to stick plenty of watts up the backside of a quality single sub. 12 inch will go deeper but 10 inch in my opinion will give a tighter quality sound, and also the dimensions of the sub-box and ported or not affect the sound you will get. Dont forget also the quality of your connectors and cables contribute towards the overall sound too. Decide what kind of sound your after and take the advice from there.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
ive got a vibe CBR 12" ACTIVE sub with two ports with one port plug that im thinking of selling as its just sitting in my bedroom doing nothing, its a newer one well around 6months old, mint condition, the sub itself is 1600 watts not sure on the amp though but can find out. let me know if its any good to you and your intrested

similar to this...

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.