Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello folks, starting to experience some problems. car was running fine,installed bluefin stg2 map on, then went out andput foot down flashing eml came on then dissappeared,now only get 1/4 boost and sounds like it pops alot when the foot is down, when driving normal it doesnt hesitate but does when opened up. sometimes it runs a little bit lumpy(not the normal lumpyness the st has. when it done that before i disconnect the battery for while and it went away but then came back again

·
Registered
7,372 Posts
after your recent water experience, what did you end up replacing?

usually when they go on 1/4 boost they're on limp mode.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
they guy done a service on the car, made sure no water in engine or pipe work, and sprayed some wd40 in spark plug area to get rid of water. the car was running fine before it, he told me to do another oil change and replace oil filter, (used castrol grade a1 full synthetic oil,nearly made a mistake of using grade a3), it started doing this before the water experience.

·
Registered
7,372 Posts
sounds like a MAP or MAF problem. Try taking the two sensors out and spraying them with electrical contact cleaner. There is a how to on here for locations of the sensors. Its an easy job, but can be fiddly

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
hello folks, starting to experience some problems. car was running fine,installed bluefin stg2 map on, then went out andput foot down flashing eml came on then dissappeared,now only get 1/4 boost and sounds like it pops alot when the foot is down, when driving normal it doesnt hesitate but does when opened up. sometimes it runs a little bit lumpy(not the normal lumpyness the st has. when it done that before i disconnect the battery for while and it went away but then came back again
Sounds like the maf to me buddy, I had a similar problem just after I had the DS induction kit fitted at the beginning of the year...drove normal but when I floored it the eml would flash and cut the power similar to how the t/control does, didnt do it all the time which was a little strange....fitted a new maf and all good.

·
Captain Slow
16,275 Posts
You did say the MAF was covered in water Shaun, chances are that's playing up mate.

Got any error lights or codes on the car? Also try running with the sensor unplugged and see how the car behaves mate

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well car was acting up majority of the day,i removed my induction kit and refitted the standard airbox due to the weather conditions, the fault went away but engine light came on and was running fine so rekon its one of the sensors.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Cylinder 2 misfire and multipul cylinder misfire. Was this problem happening before you went through the water?

Firstly remove plugs again and check the gaps and for damage to the porcelain (white part) pf the spark plug, check coils are all plugged in tight and correctly, it is easy to plug the wrong connector into the wrong coil on the ST engine.

Next step i would say is a compression test, if you have sucked water up you may have internal engine damage. Check for coolant loss and excessive smoke when started too

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
As stated, get the spark plugs out, give them a good dry. Also dry inside the spark plug hole (top of cylinder).

I had these problems when I got a bit over zealous cleaning the engine.

Once they were dried off it was fine.

You might also find that you will get problems if the error codes weren't deleted.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The problems started before the engine had water in it, it started like his hesitating,then 1/4 boost, they sometimes went away with disconnecting the battery, then after about 5mins of driving engine light flashed then went off, I've cleaned the mad, and map sensor with electrical cleaner, and pulled kam fuse out, it seems to run fine and have standard boost, ( removed stage 2 bluefin just in case)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts