Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got my hands on a 06 plate - immaculate BUT has higher than average mileage
from what I can see full service history - 1 owner - a company car leased out - told all repairs services done on time and the car looked after correctly

I think I have got myself a bargain but aware that I need to continue to give tlc to car
anyone got anything to advise - warn me on ?

thanks and nice to meet you

·
1,285 Posts
Firstly... Welcome to the club
I hope you enjoy many more miles of fun!!

As for the high mileage, thats not really an issue. It sounds like it has been cared for well.

Enjoy your new toy!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
The way I look at it, a car with high mileage that's spent most of it's life cruising on motorways is a far better buy than a low mileage car with significantly more vague history.

All my cars and my old bike have been higher mileage and I've never had problems with any of them. My
's an 06 with just over 70k on the clock - first owner racked up 65k as his business mule and the 2nd owner barely used it, doing just over 5k in a year. Then I bought it for a bargain price
Aside from 70k miles of stone chips on the front bumper and bonnet it's as good as new, even the wheels are spotless as you don't encounter many kerbs on motorways

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE(emperorluigi @ 12 Nov 2009, 12:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The way I look at it, a car with high mileage that's spent most of it's life cruising on motorways is a far better buy than a low mileage car with significantly more vague history.

All my cars and my old bike have been higher mileage and I've never had problems with any of them. My
's an 06 with just over 70k on the clock - first owner racked up 65k as his business mule and the 2nd owner barely used it, doing just over 5k in a year. Then I bought it for a bargain price
Aside from 70k miles of stone chips on the front bumper and bonnet it's as good as new, even the wheels are spotless as you don't encounter many kerbs on motorways

Thanks - that's what my one would appear to be like immaculate - aside few stone chips...I can live with the higher miles as I've got a great price on it - fingers crossed the car is ok
cant wait to pick it up

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
QUOTE(THEEGGMAN @ 12 Nov 2009, 03:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks - that's what my one would appear to be like immaculate - aside few stone chips...I can live with the higher miles as I've got a great price on it - fingers crossed the car is ok
cant wait to pick it up

QUOTE(emperorluigi @ 12 Nov 2009, 12:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The way I look at it, a car with high mileage that's spent most of it's life cruising on motorways is a far better buy than a low mileage car with significantly more vague history.

Either of them YG06 ZFR?

·
Captain Slow
16,274 Posts
QUOTE(Gav @ 13 Nov 2009, 06:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Either of them YG06 ZFR?

Gav you bad man we all know (well actually most don't) the reg. of your old ST. I feel sorry for the poor sod that ended up with your second hand rubbish. IIRC it was cleaned at least once

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
QUOTE(Ryan @ 13 Nov 2009, 06:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Gav you bad man we all know (well actually most don't) the reg. of your old ST. I feel sorry for the poor sod that ended up with your second hand rubbish. IIRC it was cleaned at least once
The above descriptions could both be my car. It left me with 65k on it, and looked immaculate under the dirt. The day I took it back, it was sparkling and looked the business. Drove like a dream too, couldn't fault it. I'd have bought it myself if I could get away with having two cars and the leasing company hadn't taken the p*ss on the settlement price.

·
Captain Slow
16,274 Posts
QUOTE(Gav @ 13 Nov 2009, 06:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The above descriptions could both be my car. It left me with 65k on it, and looked immaculate under the dirt. The day I took it back, it was sparkling and looked the business. Drove like a dream too, couldn't fault it. I'd have bought it myself if I could get away with having two cars and the leasing company hadn't taken the p*ss on the settlement price.

emperorluigi, also a local lad has a blue ST, as for Mr Egg I can't comment. There's NO way that you'd have brought your car again if you knew the history. Didn't you have to smash the drivers window in for some reason

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
QUOTE(Ryan @ 13 Nov 2009, 06:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>emperorluigi, also a local lad has a blue ST, as for Mr Egg I can't comment. There's NO way that you'd have brought your car again if you knew the history. Didn't you have to smash the drivers window in for some reason

My car was in great nick. And the window was replaced. At least it's true you can't get into an ST without the keys.

·
Registered
93 Posts
QUOTE(Gav @ 13 Nov 2009, 06:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Either of them YG06 ZFR?
Nope, thats not mine.
QUOTE(Ryan @ 13 Nov 2009, 06:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Gav you bad man we all know (well actually most don't) the reg. of your old ST. I feel sorry for the poor sod that ended up with your second hand rubbish. IIRC it was cleaned at least once
That's once more than I've cleaned mine...

·
Registered
675 Posts
I think people are put off when they see STs with a few miles on them. At the end of the day, 65k miles is nothing it just looks concerning because all the other STs for sale are lower, probably mainly because people cant afford to put loads of miles on them due to fuel costs.

Personally, i would rather buy a car that has been used regularly and been on at least one decent run per week, Ie constant speed for 1 hour or more. The trouble with low mileage cars, is that they stand around a lot, and get short journeys where the engine barely gets up to temp. Oil doesnt circulate properly, moisture gets drawn into vital engine parts. How many people have thought they had possible cylinder head troubles when seeing scum in the filler caps etc ?? Ideally you need to find a happy medium. IMO sticking with a car that has done the 12k miles per year is ideal, but dont be put off by higher mileages, at the end of the day, its a volvo Engine and the T5's are known to be good for 250k miles +. There are some bargain ST's to be had when looking in the 60-80k miles brackets

1 - 17 of 17 Posts