Ford Focus ST Forum banner
141 - 152 of 152 Posts

· Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
Sounds like your Vaporizer is semi or even fully blocked. There’s loads of Youtube videos about Fords with problematic Vaporizers. Mine started playing up a few months ago. Had it replaced, changed the oil and filter and it’s back to its normal regenning pattern.
I’m lead to believe if it was the vaporiser it would throw the engine light on?

· Premium Member
2015 (65) ST-2 TDCi 185ps Estate in Deep Impact Blue
236 Posts
That was the 4th Jan, and touch wood, so far so good!

Some more facts..

oil level is holding where it should 2 weeks on.
Car is driving so much nicer - smoother,on acceleration, smoother on lift off (no juddering)
Car drove/sounded like it was always doing a regen with map (growly!)... stop/start permanently deactivated

Now I know this is not definitive but....
On tickover with map when warm.....

View attachment 910270

On tickover without map when warm.....

View attachment 910271

I wonder if it was just overfuelling? Just keeping my fingers crossed now.. I'll let you know.....
Interesting, I'll check this on my car.
As you know, I've had very similar issues to you. I've not checked the oil levels on mine for a few weeks. My car has been mostly OK since the mapping company put it back to a "Ford" map, drives much smoother than when mapped and feels as though it's back to standard power, however I have had two instances of the car cutting out under heavy load (Accelerating in 6th from about 45-50mph, using the engines torque to accelerate, rather then dropping gears and revving). Same symptoms as when it was mapped but seem to be different DTC code now.
I feel my car may be over fuelling as the fuel economy has been **** ever since I had it mapped. With map, low to mid 40's mpg, with it's current "Ford" map maybe 45-50mpg at best, and I drive it easy most of the time, would regularly get 50+mpg before it was mapped. I expect mine to be a little worse on mpg than yours, with mine being an estate with a bit more weight.
It's due for a service soon, so gonna ask the Ford dealer if they're able to try loading their current PCM software onto the car for me, as I'm not convinced it's completely clear of the changes the original remap had loaded on.

Glad to hear yours is showing positive signs of being all sorted now.

· Premium Member
236 Posts
Does it always tickover at 0.2? It wasn 't doing a regen as you stopped was it... hence the stop/start deactivated?
Could have been doing a regen, no always easy to know when it is. I'm tempted with the DPF Led as per @Radiator
The stop/start hasn't been working for quite a while, battery should be OK, last replaced in Nov 21, although I didn't do the BMS Reset when I changed the battery. Stop/Start has worked with the new battery, but definitely been working a lot less since the map went on.

· Premium Member
236 Posts
I'm definately going to be doing that soon!

Need to wash it at some point too lol....

View attachment 910313
Almost as dirty as mine, it's a rare treat to get parked near enough to the house for carrying buckets of water back and forth, or getting the pressure washer any where near it. Don't really like the automated car washes, never clean the car properly and the hand wash guys are a bit trigger happy with their industrial pressure washers.

· Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 ·
Could have been doing a regen, no always easy to know when it is. I'm tempted with the DPF Led as per @Radiator
The stop/start hasn't been working for quite a while, battery should be OK, last replaced in Nov 21, although I didn't do the BMS Reset when I changed the battery. Stop/Start has worked with the new battery, but definitely been working a lot less since the map went on.
Been thinking about this since reading your first post... mine shows 0.2 until warmed up.. so if yours was cold when that picture was taken then I wouldn't worry too much!

I have an 18 month old ford battery - changed mine uneccessarily in november, should you want to try that? I'd do a BMS reset first to see what happens mate.

EDIT.. Don't start me on anyone else washing cars for you lol... in my time with it, no one else has ever washed it... I even tell the dealer on service day don't wash it and leave one of those 'don't wash' signs on the rear mirror!

· Premium Member
236 Posts
Been thinking about this since reading your first post... mine shows 0.2 until warmed up.. so if yours was cold when that picture was taken then I wouldn't worry too much!

I have an 18 month old ford battery - changed mine uneccessarily in november, should you want to try that? I'd do a BMS reset first to see what happens mate.

EDIT.. Don't start me on anyone else washing cars for you lol... in my time with it, no one else has ever washed it... I even tell the dealer on service day don't wash it and leave one of those 'don't wash' signs on the rear mirror!
Early signs are that BMS Reset has returned the Stop/Start functionality, once it had warmed up properly, it worked a couple of times yesterday, so fingers crossed that's all it was.
As for the fuel economy at idle, it's mostly 0.2 at warm idle, can be as high as 0.4 on cold starts.

Your car still running all OK after the recent work ?

· Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #152 ·
Early signs are that BMS Reset has returned the Stop/Start functionality, once it had warmed up properly, it worked a couple of times yesterday, so fingers crossed that's all it was.
As for the fuel economy at idle, it's mostly 0.2 at warm idle, can be as high as 0.4 on cold starts.

Your car still running all OK after the recent work ?
Fingers crossed then mate, mine has gone up to 0.4 on cold start recently too... I don't think that's too much to worry about given the low temps we've had.

Mine appears to be ok as I type this... still monitoring it and keeping everything crossed!

141 - 152 of 152 Posts