Ford Focus ST Forum banner
101 - 120 of 152 Posts

· Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
I've been considering a speaker upgrade for a while and Athiques post got me thinking about the powerbass speakers seeing as they are a straight fit to the car retaining all the oem mounts and wiring. That was the plan anyway until I had a little listen to Alpines S series components in a shop! I had some alpine kit in previous cars and loved it, so went for the S series 65 components for the front and S series 65 2 ways for the rear (along with some dynamat to help the sound a bit!).

Crankset CD Dvd Font Automotive wheel system

I did the fronts first, one side at a time - had to slightly modify the tweeter mounts as the alpine tweeters are a fair bit bigger than the oem ones, but with a small amount of cutting and a glue gun, they fitted lovely!

Corded phone Steering wheel Gas Motor vehicle Audio equipment

Automotive lighting Audio equipment Automotive exterior Carbon Auto part

Drivers in doors almost wired in....

Hood Automotive tire Blue Automotive design Sleeve

then rears done too...

Tire Wheel Blue Automotive lighting Automotive tire

VERY happy with the difference it makes, it's totally different to how it was before - much, much clearer! I was in two minds whether to do the rears or not, seeing as they don't do much of the work, but thought 'what the hell' - at least passengers in the rear get the benefit as well!

Attachments

· Registered
Paul Mk3.5 st3
2,767 Posts
I've been considering a speaker upgrade for a while and Athiques post got me thinking about the powerbass speakers seeing as they are a straight fit to the car retaining all the oem mounts and wiring. That was the plan anyway until I had a little listen to Alpines S series components in a shop! I had some alpine kit in previous cars and loved it, so went for the S series 65 components for the front and S series 65 2 ways for the rear (along with some dynamat to help the sound a bit!).

attachicon.gif
IMG_8144.jpg

I did the fronts first, one side at a time - had to slightly modify the tweeter mounts as the alpine tweeters are a fair bit bigger than the oem ones, but with a small amount of cutting and a glue gun, they fitted lovely!

attachicon.gif
IMG_8207.JPEG
attachicon.gif
IMG_8208.JPEG

Drivers in doors almost wired in....

attachicon.gif
IMG_8264.JPEG

then rears done too...

attachicon.gif
IMG_8278.JPEG

VERY happy with the difference it makes, it's totally different to how it was before - much, much clearer! I was in two minds whether to do the rears or not, seeing as they don't do much of the work, but thought 'what the hell' - at least passengers in the rear get the benefit as well!
exactly what I'm planning to do had the g series before sounded great will need two sets of comps though as have tweeters in the rear

· Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
Took all the painted stuff out of the engine bay (high maintenance in winter!) and got hold of some blue overlays for the engine cover from 'The Tony Anderson' in America... much easier to clean now lol

Car Blue Hood Vehicle Light

Vehicle Car Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

The yellow bits need sorting in there now!

Attachments

· Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
How do your speakers sound now after a bit off running in? Did you have to use new crossovers Gaz?
They sound really good Paul, very happy with them, the difference in vocals and acoustics is massive,,, then whack them up with a bit of dance and there's good base too... admittedly some may think they need an amp and sub, but I don't want to go that far with it.

Re. Crossovers, the alpine s series components have the crossovers built into the speaker unit, so not adjustable like some, made the fitting a bit simpler tbh!

· Registered
Paul Mk3.5 st3
2,767 Posts
They sound really good Paul, very happy with them, the difference in vocals and acoustics is massive,,, then whack them up with a bit of dance and theres good base too... admittedly some may think they need an amp and sub, but I dont want to go that far with it.
Re. Crossovers, the alpine s series components have the crossovers built into the speaker unit, so not adjustable like some, made the fitting a bit simpler tbh!
that's good to know I'm all for the easy route,I've already got premium sound if you can call it that lol,going to disconnect the center dash speaker think it ruins the stereo side of things and turn off the dsp.i have the sub in the boot but that may go aswell depending on how it sounds

· Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
Another couple of bits done today...

Bought an RS centre console with armrest, handbrake handle, handbrake gaiter and gearstick gaiter so whipped them all off and set about cleaning them and feeding the leather....

Luggage and bags Material property Bag Sleeve Auto part

Also bought a wireless phone charger from rates..

Rectangle Automotive design Font Gadget Material property

So stripped the centre console out..

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

Put it all back together with charger (you can see the red standby light near the USB port) and very happy with it all! Admittedly the blue stitching on the RS bits is a shade or two different to the ST2 seats stitching, but doesnt look out of place - it was dark by the time Id finished, so Im looking forward to seeing it in daylight tomorrow!

Car Gear shift Vehicle Steering part Automotive design

Car Vehicle Automotive design Steering part Fixture

Attachments

· Registered
707 Posts
@gbgaz how is the wirelss charging cubby, what sixe phone do you think it would hold up to?
Also, do you have a wireless USB connection for Android Auto / CarPlay?
Its really good mate, Im well impressed with it,I just get in... throw the phone on it and drive! Size wise its still as wide as the standard cubby, so if you have a quite a tall phone that fits in the standard one it should fit in this. It just takes some of the height away from the standard cubby... I doubt any phones are so deep they wont fit.

I dont use any form of phone to car music set up Drew.... dare I admit... I havent a clue how any of it works! I tend not to keep music on my phone anyway... Id just end up using all its storage! All my music is on a usb stick instead.

· Registered
138 Posts
Its really good mate, Im well impressed with it,I just get in... throw the phone on it and drive! Size wise its still as wide as the standard cubby, so if you have a quite a tall phone that fits in the standard one it should fit in this. It just takes some of the height away from the standard cubby... I doubt any phones are so deep they wont fit.

I dont use any form of phone to car music set up Drew.... dare I admit... I havent a clue how any of it works! I tend not to keep music on my phone anyway... Id just end up using all its storage! All my music is on a usb stick instead.
Well ordered the cubby, so looking forward to getting that fitted!

I stream all my music, so generally the phone is connected to the car at all times, however, have just come across a wireless adapter which means no more cables!

· Registered
1,287 Posts
Another couple of bits done today...

Bought an RS centre console with armrest, handbrake handle, handbrake gaiter and gearstick gaiter so whipped them all off and set about cleaning them and feeding the leather....

attachicon.gif
A13561FA-81BE-4609-B563-7377C80DEC4F.jpeg

Also bought a wireless phone charger from rates..

attachicon.gif
AF9277A7-CCD6-4E49-A8E7-92C2E7F65901.jpeg

So stripped the centre console out..

attachicon.gif
DB0D33EB-B050-491A-802D-58667E70AA22.jpeg

Put it all back together with charger (you can see the red standby light near the USB port) and very happy with it all! Admittedly the blue stitching on the RS bits is a shade or two different to the ST2 seats stitching, but doesnt look out of place - it was dark by the time Id finished, so Im looking forward to seeing it in daylight tomorrow!

attachicon.gif
2D41CA14-8C22-4E9D-AF14-F8C0ED5E9D15.jpeg

attachicon.gif
3D598B22-1578-438C-A380-E78FD974706F.jpeg
Looks excellent do you think you will attempt the heated seat upgrade that Adam Rainey did on his rs?

· Registered
707 Posts
First update for a little while! Had the steering wheel retrimmed and refitted it today,, it now matches the blue stitch on the seats and other leather items!

Car Vehicle Speedometer White Light

Vehicle Car White Motor vehicle Black

Really happy with all the little interior bits, subtle and how ford should have done it imho! to use a tag - #oeplus!

Gels by dmb & skgraphics.

Attachments

101 - 120 of 152 Posts