Paint damaged by car overtake after respray. Claim or not? - Page 2 - Focus ST Mk2 Non Technical Discussion - Focus ST Owners Club

Paint damaged by car overtake after respray. Claim or not?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Oranjemobiel

Oranjemobiel
  • Forum User
  • 219 posts
  • Dan
  • Owns:ST225

That's what I thought. I think the old name RTA stills gets used, old habits. I heard from the officer this morning. BMW driver, not his car. Belongs to his Dad. Admitted to the damage. Claimed he had been up all night waiting for the Police to knock on his door. Said he could hear stones being kicked up and hitting my car. I was driving too slowly, according to him. 40mph in a 40mph zone. His excuse? Golden. He was behind me, claiming my front headlights were illegal, blue and on high beam. This was blinding him, which made him overtake and carry on speeding. He then used the same excuse for speeding off from the traffic lights. Officer didn't buy any of it due to the footage. Told him your heavy right foot, all to get to a set of traffic lights quicker, will probably now cost you your NCB. Bodyshop owner knows customers who have had M2's and sold them, too much of a wild weapon and back end is very twitchy.

Respray turned out really well. The front bumper is the oldest paint now but in excellent condition, so not a perfect match to that but very close. Why I did passenger side, rear end and drivers side. Colour is spot on in the right light. Had a machine polish as well, so paint is like glass. Fresh wheels and calipers also. While I was in there, they had an Ultimate Green RS in for a front end respray. Had been to two other bodyshops and the paint match was awful, really bad. Went back to check on mine, they had done the RS and it looked spot on. One of the worst colours to paint and match the UG, as it has a certain amount of gold in the paint, to give it that pop. Has to be exact, or it throws the whole colour off. The gold also seems to throw off the five camera paint spectrophotometers, which can mean Technical Support.

Advertisement

Advertisement
  • Advertisement

Freddy42

Freddy42
  • Club Member
  • 101 posts
  • Ashby de la Zouch
  • Freddy
  • Owns:2014 ST250

A good result and full marks to Derbyshire Police.  It just goes to prove how essential dashcams are these days.

Oranjemobiel

Oranjemobiel
  • Forum User
  • 219 posts
  • Dan

I bought it years ago and paid for itself several times over. It usually helps ward off the racers, they see it and back off. Officer said it's double edged. They like to be out on the roads but can't be everywhere and get sent a lot of videos. I checked out their Twitter page. I knew there were some idiots but holy moly!

https://twitter.com/DerbyshireRPU

• Samson79 likes this

Sean B

Sean B

Whipping Boy

• Club Staff
  • 13241 posts
  • Oop north
  • Swifty
  • Owns:AMG C43

Dashcams are well worth the money - mine caught someone reversing into my car while it was parked up and not in the car, saved me my NCB.

Oranjemobiel

Oranjemobiel
  • Forum User
  • 219 posts
  • Dan

The above as well. One with parking mode, or leave on if you have a live ignition, when the car is turned off. You pick that spot in the car park, the corner, miles away from another car. You come back, a car has parked their drivers door inches from yours, and dinged it trying to get out.

andip85

andip85
  • Club Member
  • 1037 posts
  • Leeds
  • Andrew
  • Owns:ST225(CP340)

Sucks that there's damage to your new paint - know how annoyed I'd be if the same happened to mine! 

Have you considered any sort of paint protection out of interest? Ceramic probably wouldn't have totally stopped the damage, but may have helped reduce it. My front end was totally resprayed maybe 3 years ago now (and ceramic coated 4 weeks later) and only now have a couple of stone chips on the front of the bonnet. Driven probably 15-20k miles in that time. Won't stop scratches etc but may take a bit of the flack.

jonost24

jonost24
  • Club Member
  • 988 posts

I'm hoping to get my EO "refreshed" this year. Paint, wheels, calipers, new brake hoses, front & rear suspension replaced (front wishbones already hardrace) + uprated RARB, replace coolant & heater hoses with silicon, maybe get the CV boots changed out as well. Fresh coolant, brake bleed and hunter alignment. I would rather keep this car (had it for nearly 10 years now) than probably spend twice as much for a newer car. Just to add, I'll probably get it ceramic coated after the paint is done.

• Bigayal likes this

Noisy Boy

Noisy Boy
  • Forum User
  • 2906 posts
  • Cheshire
  • David
  • Owns:ST3 MR 290
Seems like a waste of money to full respray a car as old as a mk2 ST. IMO.

kiemuloly

kiemuloly
  • Club Member
  • 2493 posts
  • Michael
  • Owns:Focus ST MK2

Seems like a waste of money to full respray a car as old as a mk2 ST. IMO.

what's your opinion on modifying a mk2? For example turbo back exhaust, intercooler and remap? That can cost near the same as a respray. Or hybrid turbo plus forging, which can cost more

Hopefully if someone is willing to do either of these things they're hoping for the car to be on the road for another 5-10 years so why not look like new for a fraction of a price?

It's a waste of money on a daily. Bit that's another argument I keep having with myself
  • pchilds1 and Bigayal like this

andip85

andip85
  • Club Member
  • 1037 posts
  • Leeds
  • Andrew
  • Owns:ST225(CP340)

what's your opinion on modifying a mk2? For example turbo back exhaust, intercooler and remap? That can cost near the same as a respray. Or hybrid turbo plus forging, which can cost more

Hopefully if someone is willing to do either of these things they're hoping for the car to be on the road for another 5-10 years so why not look like new for a fraction of a price?

It's a waste of money on a daily. Bit that's another argument I keep having with myself

^^ this is one of the main reasons mine lives in a garage now. In saying that, the paint lasted really well when it was driven as a daily for 2 years or so - only a 1 or 2 small chips on the bonnet. If you look after the car, get some paint protection and have a good wash routine then the paint can be kept in decent condition. This is ignoring other people who may brush up against the side and ruin everything.

I'm at peace with the fact anything that gets spent on the car I'm not getting back. Forging is next on the hit list - but that IS a big expense that I'm not sure is worth the outlay on....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users