Advice about a car I'm buying - Focus ST Mk2 Non Technical Discussion - Focus ST Owners Club

Advice about a car I'm buying

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Beefy91

Beefy91
  • Club Member
  • 9 posts
  • Dundee
  • Chris
  • Owns:Mk2 Focus ST
Hi guys looking for anyones input with a used st-3 07 plate im going to look at on Saturday. I'll link to the advert on Facebook
https://www.facebook...98667567009838/
The price seems decent enough since garages are selling standard 07/08s with between 100k and 130k for around 5000, its got a few mods on it I was planning to do anyway so saving a few quid there and he said its got full service history with timing belt done at 90-oddk, car looks clean and tidy but can't really tell any bubbling arches or rust from the pictures. MOT history looks fine too nothing massively bad i don't think but I'm no mechanic so can't really tell lol.
Any help is greatly appreciated

Advertisement

Advertisement
  • Advertisement

Metta

Metta
  • Club Member
  • 45 posts
  • North East, England
  • Arron
  • Owns:MK2.5 ST

It's took me after looking at around 12 cars in person and 100 online I found the one! Steering wheel & gearstick on this one is worn ALOT! Seats look a bit worn too. Body work I only seen one without any rust and that's the one I've got. I looked at ones for 6,000 with rust on arches too. Two Wheels look very badly scuffed. Toe eye cover missing, Not major. 

• corrosion to suspension components

This alarms me on MOT in 2014. Could be anything tho. 

Make sure you look it over 100% Don't rush into it the right one will come along!

I'm from your neck of the woods judging by the add. My advice is travel. I had to do a 360Mile round trip for mine everything in the North East was a dog. I also had to up my budget.

• sttwoton likes this

Beefy91

Beefy91
  • Club Member
  • 9 posts
  • Dundee
  • Chris

It's took me after looking at around 12 cars in person and 100 online I found the one! Steering wheel & gearstick on this one is worn ALOT! Seats look a bit worn too. Body work I only seen one without any rust and that's the one I've got. I looked at ones for 6,000 with rust on arches too. Two Wheels look very badly scuffed. Toe eye cover missing, Not major. 

• corrosion to suspension componentsThis alarms me on MOT in 2014. Could be anything tho. 

Make sure you look it over 100% Don't rush into it the right one will come along!

I'm from your neck of the woods judging by the add. My advice is travel. I had to do a 360Mile round trip for mine everything in the North East was a dog. I also had to up my budget.

Thanks mate, I'm actually from the east of scotland, this st is in Newcastle so about 200 miles from me lol, don't think I would travel much more than that though its already a 3 hour drive.
I see what your saying about the steering wheel, it does look a bit worn, its hard to tell if the gearstick is too or if its whitening of the camera, also yeah 2 wheels do look quite scuffed. The corrosion issue my dad being a mechanic doesn't really worry me, i can get cheap enough parts and don't have to pay labour to get fitted.
Plus for 3250 with the mods it has, in the condition its in, it seems to be a good deal. The problem im coming across finding other sts is im being very picky lol, has to be 5 door, pre facelift, st3 (or 2 if has heated seats), color isn't that big of an issue just prefer it in black or dark colors and preferably modded already at least basic sort of mods anyway. Don't really have budget either as was looking at another st3 completely standard from a garage in Newcastle but they wanted 5.5k 98k miles.

Metta

Metta
  • Club Member
  • 45 posts
  • North East, England
  • Arron
  • Owns:MK2.5 ST

Thanks mate, I'm actually from the east of scotland, this st is in Newcastle so about 200 miles from me lol, don't think I would travel much more than that though its already a 3 hour drive.
I see what your saying about the steering wheel, it does look a bit worn, its hard to tell if the gearstick is too or if its whitening of the camera, also yeah 2 wheels do look quite scuffed. The corrosion issue my dad being a mechanic doesn't really worry me, i can get cheap enough parts and don't have to pay labour to get fitted.
Plus for 3250 with the mods it has, in the condition its in, it seems to be a good deal. The problem im coming across finding other sts is im being very picky lol, has to be 5 door, pre facelift, st3 (or 2 if has heated seats), color isn't that big of an issue just prefer it in black or dark colors and preferably modded already at least basic sort of mods anyway. Don't really have budget either as was looking at another st3 completely standard from a garage in Newcastle but they wanted 5.5k 98k miles.

There is better cars out there mate. I paid 6,000 for a 2010 ST-2 With ST-3 Spec bar the heated seats. 80K on clock block mod and everything that goes with it not one mark on the body work and inside is brand new! Also a new RS clutch. Serviced every 5000-8000 miles.

justcos

justcos
  • Club Member
  • 827 posts
  • Livingston
  • Craig
  • Owns:Focus st3
The steering wheel looks more dirty than worn :)

s66anb

s66anb
  • Club Member
  • 210 posts
  • Fife
  • sean
  • Owns:ST225
https://www.facebook..._code=undefined

Beefy91

Beefy91
  • Club Member
  • 9 posts
  • Dundee
  • Chris

There is better cars out there mate. I paid 6,000 for a 2010 ST-2 With ST-3 Spec bar the heated seats. 80K on clock block mod and everything that goes with it not one mark on the body work and inside is brand new! Also a new RS clutch. Serviced every 5000-8000 miles.

Yeah I've not spent long enough looking yet only been 2 or 3 days haha, I'm just too impatient to wait and since my vectra is on its last legs I'm needing something asap

Thanks mate cracking motor but its 3 door, needing a 5 as much as 3 door is imo the better looking car the Mrs crawling in and out the back to get the wee one out is a no no apparently!

AndyC71

AndyC71
  • Club Member
  • 654 posts
  • Somerset
  • Andy
  • Owns:CP340exMR290

Looks good, but MOT history is pretty poor and less than 1000 miles in 18 months with only 16 miles done between 2019 and 2020 MOTs.

Noisy Boy

Noisy Boy
  • Club Member
  • 2863 posts
  • Cheshire
  • David
  • Owns:ST3 MR 290
On that 5 dr Grey one, you'd think the seller would have gave it a vacuum before advertising it?
  • Mart1976 likes this

Bigayal

Bigayal
  • Club Member
  • 685 posts
  • Alan
  • Owns:St500

Yeah I've not spent long enough looking yet only been 2 or 3 days haha, I'm just too impatient to wait and since my vectra is on its last legs I'm needing something asap

Thanks mate cracking motor but its 3 door, needing a 5 as much as 3 door is imo the better looking car the Mrs crawling in and out the back to get the wee one out is a no no apparently!

the 2 doors are not too much hassle my Missus coped with it as the seats fold so far forward but that was an st2 the leather seats take up more space 🥰

Gordon

Gordon

Club Staff

• Club Staff
  • 8477 posts
  • Cramlington
  • Gordon
  • Owns:ST250

@Beefy91not sure of your budget but this is a cracking ST I know the owner and car personally 

https://www.autotrad...2HJODhOyFLua7CI

• KD372a likes this

Beefy91

Beefy91
  • Club Member
  • 9 posts
  • Dundee
  • Chris

@Beefy91not sure of your budget but this is a cracking ST I know the owner and car personally 
https://www.autotrad...2HJODhOyFLua7CI

Absolutely stunning and in my favourite colour.. fully modded too and under 100k.
Going to try talking the Mrs into a 3 door haha.

Noisy Boy

Noisy Boy
  • Club Member
  • 2863 posts
  • Cheshire
  • David
Very nice indeed, nice cosmetic mods but not chavvy, if I was looking for one I'd go and view that.

Noisy Boy

Noisy Boy
  • Club Member
  • 2863 posts
  • Cheshire
  • David

the 2 doors are not too much hassle my Missus coped with it as the seats fold so far forward but that was an st2 the leather seats take up more space

Really?
I thought the seats were exactly the same size other than their cover material and that the only difference was that ST3 has 2 seats in the rear rather than a bench.

Bigayal

Bigayal
  • Club Member
  • 685 posts
  • Alan
  • Owns:St500

Really?
I thought the seats were exactly the same size other than their cover material and that the only difference was that ST3 has 2 seats in the rear rather than a bench.

I think its that they dont go as far forward rather than being bigger we had the same car seat when I had my EO and was fairly easy its a krypton factor nightmare in the 500 🤣

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users