Drove a MK3 RS bit underwhelming - Page 6 - Focus ST Mk3 Non Technical Discussion - Focus ST Owners Club

Drove a MK3 RS bit underwhelming

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

caprixpack

caprixpack
  • Club Member
  • 1556 posts
After looking at both when I way buying one, I went for the more subtle facelift. I grew out of the need to stand out and the look at me thing when I was 16. Also draws less attention from plod when driving in a not so legal manner.

Advertisement

Advertisement
  • Advertisement

AndyC71

AndyC71
  • Club Member
  • 718 posts
  • Somerset
  • Andy
  • Owns:CP340exMR290

After looking at both when I way buying one, I went for the more subtle facelift. I grew out of the need to stand out and the look at me thing when I was 16. Also draws less attention from plod when driving in a not so legal manner.

So did I......just saying that I prefer the looks of the PFL.

WelshGeoff

WelshGeoff

South Wales Regional Rep

• Regional Rep
  • 7188 posts
  • God's Country
  • Geoff
  • Owns:M235

To be fair, I think Andy said the MK2 PFL 'looked' different compared to to the zetec equivalent, where as compared to the facelift, the difference is too subtle .....but the facelift does have the advantage that it shares some cosmetics similarities with the RS, so if you wanted to make it stand out or more aggressive this is very possible, Burger's Tyson build (found on here) still remains my favourite ST build  :cloud9:  (or RS for that matter) that i've ever seen and just wish I had the chance to buy it when it came up orginally :Tantrum:

Going back to the original theme of the thread:

The MK2 ST in my eyes is a very average car in standard form and to even compare them to a MK2 RS or MK3 RS is madness in my eyes, both the latter would make a standard ST look pretty silly and even more average........ BUT for me, the most exciting and intoxicating thing about the ST, is the modifications  :Dance:  A stage 1 remap brings it alive and replace the standard cat back with an aftermarket .......(insert name of  favourite cat back in space)....... and that 5 pot sings like not many other cars about  :wow:... then modify the suspension and move on to the next stage of tune and the car really shows you what it can do BUT get back on a motorway with the family in the back and thing will just cruise and eat up the miles like it was built for it. 

Thats why I don't like the comparisons MK2 ST V MK2 RS or RS MK3, if like some have you said having jumped into the latter 2, coming from a modded ST and they don't feel 'that special' then maybe they're not in the right environment or at a comparable tune but any RS is special in my eyes, I always looked at it as Ford showing what it could do in the hot hatch market, even with the financial and emission limitations placed on it, the Mk2 RS will always remain my favourite due to the 5 pot but I've been up against the RS MK3's on the Welsh mountain roads and even with an ST with an array of suspension mods, a hybrid running around 370bhp, the MK3 is a formidable beast and stick a damp road in the equation and   :bye:  :bye:  ST :lol:

Disclaimer:  Only organising Black Mountain run outs on dry days are pure coincidence :whistle:

• Jason Sullivan, s66anb, kiemuloly and 2 others like this

WelshGeoff

WelshGeoff

South Wales Regional Rep

• Regional Rep
  • 7188 posts
  • God's Country
  • Geoff

I think I'll pause this for a while.

Ahhh the power of the pause button  :cloud9: , good times! now i'm just confined to the S.Wales section :lol: 

stevie_n1

stevie_n1
  • Club Member
  • 62 posts
  • Steve
  • Owns:Mk3

Apologies to everyone as i started this thread and it snow balled a small bit!!! I should have also stated i have a MK3 ST and drove the MK3 RS which didnt really blow my mind compared to the ST although its still one hell of a motor.

Srea064

Srea064
  • Forum User
  • 305 posts
  • Wakefield
  • Steve
  • Owns:MK3 Focus RS
In a straight line a tuned ST250 would catch and beat a standard MK3 RS.

The RS is a much heavier car due to all the AWD gubbins.

Get them both on a twisty B road though and its a different story. That AWD gubbins starts to work its magic and the grip is sensational.

Now tune the RS, even slightly with a Mountune FPM375 and its a different story again.

Ive owned both and am only giving real life advice based on experience.

Alb

Alb
  • Administrator
  • 23840 posts
  • Gloucestershire
  • Alb
  • Owns:Mk2 RS MP350

Apologies to everyone as i started this thread and it snow balled a small bit!!!

No apologies necessary Steve.

Your observations are welcome.

justcos

justcos
  • Club Member
  • 907 posts
  • Livingston
  • Craig
  • Owns:Focus st3

So did I......just saying that I prefer the looks of the PFL.

I used to think the FL was nicer than the PFL but now I wish Id gotten a PFL as you know its an st from a distance :)
  • AndyC71 likes this

WelshGeoff

WelshGeoff

South Wales Regional Rep

• Regional Rep
  • 7188 posts
  • God's Country
  • Geoff

Apologies to everyone as i started this thread and it snow balled a small bit!!! I should have also stated i have a MK3 ST and drove the MK3 RS which didnt really blow my mind compared to the ST although its still one hell of a motor.

Never apologise for having an opinion Steve, the FSTOC would be a poorer place for people not having one, i'd like to think this site, mostly, is pretty tolerant on differing opinions and there's been many a healthy debate or 20 in the past :lol: some debates stay amicable and within the boundaries of the club rules and some definitely don't BUT without opinions life would be a boring place :yep: .....just be careful of the wind up merchants on here :shifty:

• NickFST3 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users