Anyone on here a previous owner? - Page 2 - Focus ST Mk3 Non Technical Discussion - Focus ST Owners Club

Anyone on here a previous owner?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Srea064

Srea064
  • Forum User
  • 305 posts
  • Wakefield
  • Steve
  • Owns:MK3 Focus RS
@NickFST3, everything you say above is correct. I still have the RS.

My original point though, is that people are very keen to diss one make over another, due to brand loyalty. I appreciate that and understand people getting offended when others say one car is better than another one.

My opinions are based on my ownerships experiences that I had with all three cars.

The Astra J VXR was launched in 2012, and...due to Vauxhall having no money, stayed in production until 2018, but it was all still built on 2012 underpinnings. So I accept when you state it had a 90's Dashboard. Fair point.

Ford should have fitted a mechanical limited split diff to the FWD ST, it would have made all the difference. Instead though, they put 250BHP through a normal FWD drive train and thought a bit of magic braking would sort things out, it didn't, let's be honest here!

My ST had Michelin Pilot Sport 4s tyres and still veered all over the place. In my opinion, it couldn't put the power down as well as the VXR.

I only got rid of the VXR after two years of ownership due to the 2012 underpinnings and the length of the doors, they made it not as practical as I needed. I looked around, wanted similar power outputs and bought the ST3 250. In the dry, the car was fun, but in the wet, or damp even, it was a nightmare.

I bought the RS simply because, 4WD, same looks as the ST and more driveable, but if Vauxhall hadn't ran out of money and dropped the VXR's, I would have looked at another one.

But they did and I now have a car I'm happy with.

The idea of a forum, is for people to pass on their experiences, that's it. I don't mean to offend anyone, just don't like it when people slate something they know little about.

Nice talking with you. :-)
  • pchilds1, damzen and snowblind like this

Advertisement

Advertisement
  • Advertisement

NickFST3

NickFST3
  • Club Member
  • 5568 posts
  • Lincolnshire
  • Nick
  • Owns:Mk3.5 ST3

@Srea064 it wasn't a dig at yourself - apologies. Both me & Kev have our own issues around Vauxhalls and love to hate them & you got dragged into a bit of banter about them. So apologies from my side if anything was misconstrued. No offence was intended - other than to Vauxhalls!!

I am also the first to agree that the ST could do with an uprated diff if nothing else which I would have got fitted to the 500 at least if I had kept it any longer. Mind you the torque steer was always fun as well!

Also I thought Vauxhall dropped the VXR due to the stupid emission regs tightening up? A bit like why Ford say a new RS is going to be unlikely?

Srea064

Srea064
  • Forum User
  • 305 posts
  • Wakefield
  • Steve
  • Owns:MK3 Focus RS
@NickFST3 I completely understand and no offence taken.

I too did not mean to offend anyone.

Just wanted to share my experiences, having owned all three in my car history.

Must admit, the Ford RS and ST Brands seem to hold their resale value far better than Vauxhall, BMW or even Audi for that matter.

sttwoton

sttwoton
  • Club Member
  • 936 posts
  • Somerset
  • Kev
  • Owns:ST3 MK3.
Vauxhalls 🤮 arent going to get any better, now theyre owned by Peugeot , still, I suppose they couldnt get any worse. 😆

Vauxhalls 🤮 arent going to get any better, now theyre owned by Peugeot , still, I suppose they couldnt get any worse. 😆

My ST is a thirteen plate, no sign of rust underneath, maybe yours was a coastal car.

Noisy Boy

Noisy Boy
  • Club Member
  • 2863 posts
  • Cheshire
  • David
  • Owns:ST3 MR 290
A mate at work said he used to have a 64 plate ST and he said it felt floaty and unstable at speed, but also had a J VXR before the ST and he reckoned the Astra was a better car and he made a mistake buying the Focus so sold it on 10 months after buying it.

sttwoton

sttwoton
  • Club Member
  • 936 posts
  • Somerset
  • Kev
Plank. 😁

NickFST3

NickFST3
  • Club Member
  • 5568 posts
  • Lincolnshire
  • Nick

Plank.

Don't mince your words there................ :clap:

NickFST3

NickFST3
  • Club Member
  • 5568 posts
  • Lincolnshire
  • Nick

A mate at work said he used to have a 64 plate ST and he said it felt floaty and unstable at speed, but also had a J VXR before the ST and he reckoned the Astra was a better car and he made a mistake buying the Focus so sold it on 10 months after buying it.

The Mk2's definitely felt a bit light & nervous at speed due to the soft OEM suspension which only got worse as the car & suspension got older. Hence an upgrade & refresh worked wonders. However my Mk3 is very sure footed & almost feels as good handling wise as the old Mk2 did with all the bits on it. Hence why all I have done is dropped the suspension which now makes it corner even better. Possibly your mates car had an issue underneath?

• sttwoton likes this

sttwoton

sttwoton
  • Club Member
  • 936 posts
  • Somerset
  • Kev
Or he was a plank. 😆
  • NickFST3 and Noisy Boy like this

Noisy Boy

Noisy Boy
  • Club Member
  • 2863 posts
  • Cheshire
  • David
  • Owns:ST3 MR 290

The Mk2's definitely felt a bit light & nervous at speed due to the soft OEM suspension which only got worse as the car & suspension got older. Hence an upgrade & refresh worked wonders. However my Mk3 is very sure footed & almost feels as good handling wise as the old Mk2 did with all the bits on it. Hence why all I have done is dropped the suspension which now makes it corner even better. Possibly your mates car had an issue underneath?

He was talking about his mk3 Focus being unstable and floaty, as he put it. He did actually say he likes the mk2 though as when drove one it felt solid and well planted and to be honest, I think mine feels well planted and stable at speed. He may have had a dodgy mk3???

sttwoton

sttwoton
  • Club Member
  • 936 posts
  • Somerset
  • Kev
Dont forget the mk3 engine is an awful lot lighter than the mk2, with less weight over the front axle, the centre of gravity is moved further back, giving a better weight distribution, which does make it feel sure footed.
  • Siye ST likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users