Fitting RS Radtec intercooler on st 225 - A and K Motorsport - Focus ST Owners Club

Fitting RS Radtec intercooler on st 225

- - - - - 2.5 inch Boost pipes on st

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Justin Wilcockson

Justin Wilcockson
  • Club Member
  • 10 posts
  • Justin
  • Owns:Focus st

Hi,

I'm Posting this on advice given, on another thread I started, that Andy at A&K Motorsport is the man in the know and am hoping that he can help.

I am in the process of fitting a radtec intercooler to my st 225 that I have now discovered is an RS intercooler with 2.5 inch outlets and am having dificulties with the cold side boost pipe see photograph

Attached File  Intercooler Cold Outlet.jpg   197.74KB   0 downloads

Attached File  s-l1600.jpg   211.29KB   0 downloads

The 2 questions that I am looking for help with are:

• Is this possible with the standard st radiator?
  • If it is not possible with the standard radiator will an RS radiator fit as a direct replacement and does this enable the fitting of the cold side boost pipe?

Any help or advice much appreciated.

Advertisement

Advertisement
  • Advertisement

Robbo

Robbo
  • Club Member
  • 4596 posts
  • Forster, NSW, Australia
  • Rob
  • Owns:ST225 RSlump

Yes, you need a radiator from a very late MK2 ST or an RS. The outlet is different.

Or get an aftermarket one of the correct orientation.

A and K Motorsport

A and K Motorsport

A and K Motorsport

• Sponsor
  • 7982 posts
  • Kent
  • Andy & Kirsty
  • Owns:ST225

:thumbsup: As Rob says it will be pretty hard to get it to fit with an early ST radiator as the water outlet is in the cway but you may be able to take the bolts out of the radiator cradle and move it along a bit then redrill the holes to give you more room. Easiest option though is to get an RS or late ST radiator or an Airtec alloy radiator. Here is what the Airtec website says about fitting an intercooler with RS sized outlets........

Important Note: The pre-facelift ST has a different radiator compared to the facelift & RS, this makes the left hand pipe (inlet side) very tight against the radiator cradle & boost hose, we recommend removing the radiator cradle bolt, levering the cradle to the right and re-drilling a new hole & then re-fitting the bolt. It’s very simple and easy to do, but is necessary to give you extra clearance for the bigger 2.5″ pipe, if you are still not happy with fit we would recommend fitting a RS radiator, not required to get the power you want, but makes cold side hose fit nicer.

A&K MOTORSPORT

WWW.AANDKMOTORSPORT.COM    Tel. 01795 880902

Robbo

Robbo
  • Club Member
  • 4596 posts
  • Forster, NSW, Australia
  • Rob
  • Owns:ST225 RSlump

I can't see you getting it to fit with the early radiator, the outlet is really in a bad orientation for the RS intercooler.

I would bite the bullet now and get a radiator rather than try to do something makeshift. If the frontal cooling is all done as late model the options are better.

Justin Wilcockson

Justin Wilcockson
  • Club Member
  • 10 posts
  • Justin
  • Owns:Focus st

Thanks thats a great help really appreciated :D :D

Thanks

• A and K Motorsport likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users