Any motorbike owners? - General Topic Discussion - Focus ST Owners Club

Any motorbike owners?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

caprixpack

caprixpack
  • Club Member
  • 1353 posts
Are there many motorbike owners on here?

I've done something I never thought would, bought a bike. I've never had the urge to ride or own one up until recently, with moving house and being a lot closer to work it makes more sense to have a small bike and use that for work instead or driving 5 minutes to and from work in the st. I really don't like the idea of using the st for lots of very short journeys where it's not getting the chance to fully get up to temperature.
Anyway the bike, it's by no means anything special. It's a cheap Chinese 125cc rebrand by hanway. It's the retro styling that attracted me to it, and I spoken to a few people with then and I know what to expect.
Hopefully I will be able to get it sometime next week, The downside, I have to wait until the middle of December before I can do the CBT.

Advertisement

Advertisement
  • Advertisement

Phill P

Phill P
  • Club Member
  • 770 posts
  • Paul
  • Owns:2006 st3
I've runs cars and bikes at the same time in the past, GSXR 750 srad and xjr 1300.
Both 5 to 15 min journeys.
Took longer to get the waterproofs on than most of the travel time, plus getting hot and sweaty getting it all on.
However that being said if my job plans change I would consider getting a pug speedfight or kawasaki j300 scooter instead of the focus, although on the really :censored: weather days then the Focus would get a lookin.
The good thing about getting a cheap Chinese bike is that you won't be tempted by exhausts, intakes, K&N, stainless steel oil cooler covers and other bits...... Or will you 😜

Bigayal

Bigayal
  • Club Member
  • 121 posts
  • Alan
  • Owns:St500

Are there many motorbike owners on here?

I've done something I never thought would, bought a bike. I've never had the urge to ride or own one up until recently, with moving house and being a lot closer to work it makes more sense to have a small bike and use that for work instead or driving 5 minutes to and from work in the st. I really don't like the idea of using the st for lots of very short journeys where it's not getting the chance to fully get up to temperature.
Anyway the bike, it's by no means anything special. It's a cheap Chinese 125cc rebrand by hanway. It's the retro styling that attracted me to it, and I spoken to a few people with then and I know what to expect.
Hopefully I will be able to get it sometime next week, The downside, I have to wait until the middle of December before I can do the CBT.

I run 4 bikes at the moment as well as my st and two passats (work and Missus ) Ive always been in to two and four wheels the thing I like most about bikes is the feeling of freedom and the comedy acceleration on the bigger ones 👍 0-60 in 2.6 anyone ? I use a bike to price most of my jobs as there are no traffic jams cheap to run and no cat needed .
If you get into it when you want to get a bigger bike get an old vfr 750 90-97 MY , the v4 howl is amazing above 7k its comfortable for long journeys and you can still Chuck it about in the twisty bits a grand gets you a really nice one in winter too 👍 ride safe and dont forget your lifesaver check ever 🤞
Ps I would have more bikes but Im only allowed as many as I can fit in my shed 🤣🤣🤣

Verodrive

Verodrive

Formerly Azionamento

• Sponsor
  • 2704 posts
  • Bristol, UK
  • Martin
  • Owns:ST250

Yeah I've got a bike - problem is it's tucked up in my garage and I haven't used it for nearly 20 years!  It's a classic Kawasaki Z650 C3 - which I've owned from new...it was all good and looked really good when I stopped using it...but it needs some work on it now to make it road worthy and pristine.  I must get back into it.

So you've got a Chinese bike...oh well might be good to start with but I'd get something more conventional like a small honda/yamaha/kawasaki - tell us how you get on with the CBT and passing your bike test.  Oh and get a good helmet, gloves and waterproofs as this time of year means you're going to get cold and possibly wet.

Biking is absolutely lovely in the warm and dry - the performance is fantastic of anything mid-range upwards and as has been said, the sense of freedom you get is addictive.

I must get back into it!

• Bigayal likes this
Martin
Advanced Driving Instructor - www.verodrive.co.uk

caprixpack

caprixpack
  • Club Member
  • 1353 posts
Yeah I'll see how it goes, to be honest I'm not planning on going any bigger than a 125 and it's only going to be used to and from work. And with Keeping the 924 and buying our first house I'm on a tight budget. Regarding clothing, what would you recommend? I'm not a fan of leathers though.

Bigayal

Bigayal
  • Club Member
  • 121 posts
  • Alan

Yeah I'll see how it goes, to be honest I'm not planning on going any bigger than a 125 and it's only going to be used to and from work. And with Keeping the 924 and buying our first house I'm on a tight budget. Regarding clothing, what would you recommend? I'm not a fan of leathers though.

Basically just get the best you can afford I have 2 jackets a leather for dry weather and a waterproof one for anything that doesn’t resemble summer ( so I probably wear it twice a year ) and I have proper bike jeans , they are expensive though ,normal jeans are ok that is the minimum you should have on your legs and then a proper boot with good ankle support is a must you don’t have to spend hundreds to be property kitted out , I use sportsbikeshop for most of my clothing , and as said a good helmet is a must and the same again get the best you can afford as long as it has the ece dot rating on it it’s absolutely fine they are all rated the same it’s just the look/style that makes them more expensive

Phill P

Phill P
  • Club Member
  • 770 posts
  • Paul
  • Owns:2006 st3
Good textile jacket and trousers, if they don't zip into each other then braces too.
Proper boots too as well as gloves.
Flip front helmets are popular.
As said with helmets get the best you can afford but it doesn't need to be a £600 shoei , my AGV is nice and comfortable

Bigayal

Bigayal
  • Club Member
  • 121 posts
  • Alan

Good textile jacket and trousers, if they don't zip into each other then braces too.
Proper boots too as well as gloves.
Flip front helmets are popular.
As said with helmets get the best you can afford but it doesn't need to be a £600 shoei , my AGV is nice and comfortable

haha yeah I forgot about gloves 🤣 Ive got some heated ones for winter they are much better than heated grips 👍 if you get cheap gloves make sure they have good knuckle protection and palm protection too if they are thin and its cold some latex gloves underneath work a treat as a cheap fix 👍 I use a Simpson venom helmet sort of looks like the stig helmet but with much better vision 👌 and I always go for plain white helmets too make you much more visible

Cfc blue

Cfc blue
  • Club Member
  • 2102 posts
  • Romford
  • Paul
  • Owns:ST250
Don't forget you Sam Brown belt lol

Bigayal

Bigayal
  • Club Member
  • 121 posts
  • Alan

Don't forget you Sam Brown belt lol

🤣🤣🤣

sttwoton

sttwoton
  • Club Member
  • 346 posts
  • Somerset
  • Kev
  • Owns:ST3 MK3.
Surely if you are only five minutes from work, youd be better off walking, wouldnt you?
  • Noisy Boy likes this

caprixpack

caprixpack
  • Club Member
  • 1353 posts

Surely if you are only five minutes from work, youd be better off walking, wouldnt you?

5 minute drive or 35-40 minute walk down an unlit national speed limit road with no pavement, no thanks.

sttwoton

sttwoton
  • Club Member
  • 346 posts
  • Somerset
  • Kev
  • Owns:ST3 MK3.
Fair enough bud.

Noisy Boy

Noisy Boy
  • Club Member
  • 2629 posts
  • Cheshire
  • David
  • Owns:ST3 MR 290
Electric scooter?

pchilds1

pchilds1
  • Club Member
  • 45 posts
  • Basildon
  • Peter
  • Owns:ST225
Now I am over 60 and thinking back to my biking days, I shudder with horror of what I sometimes used to wear in the summers of 76 and 77...T shirt, shorts and plimsolls...even coming off at 10 mph it would’ve caused quite a bit of damage to my skin...utter madness...I did have one bad accident, but thankfully on that day it must been chilly because I had more kit on and soon after that my mum and dad gave me their car if I promised to sell it (Yamaha RD250C)....which I did very soon after the crash.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users