16 replies to this topic

Bezzer1122

Bezzer1122
  • Club Member
  • 8 posts
  • Tom
  • Owns:Toyota
Hi guys,

Just joined the forum. Never owned a ford before always been a VW guy. Thinking about buying a MK2 focus ST.

Maybe a daft question but are they still worth buying even though they are getting on a bit now? Just don't want to end up with the car being a money pit with constant problems. Been having a read through some of the stuff on the forum and think I'd prefer a facelift version. Maybe 08 plate onwards. Would I be able to get a decent car for £6-7k?

I don't mind buying an older car as long as it's pretty reliable and doesn't throw up problems all the time. Aware of running costs and have owned golf R32s etc so not worried about fuel costs.

I've seen a car on auto trader that I like the look of. It's a white ST3, up for just under £6k,around 80k miles. Doesn't say anything about mods but looks like it has a mountune logo on the rear so guessing it's been mapped. Does this sound like a reasonable price for that car?

Obviously I'll look more into it before choosing the right car, just wanted to get a rough idea on how much id need to spend for a decent car.

Thanks.

Advertisement

Advertisement
  • Advertisement

caprixpack

caprixpack
  • Club Member
  • 1366 posts
It's all down to how it's been looked after and maintained by previous owners. A late low mileage example could be an absolute dog where as an older high miller daily driver could be a gem. I've always stuck by the milage isn't the be all and end all of car buying. I bought a V6 calibra with 120k on the clock that was better than some of the 50k miles calibras I looked at, I sold it 5 years later with over 200k miles.

Alb

Alb
  • Administrator
  • 23373 posts
  • Gloucestershire
  • Alb
  • Owns:Mk2 RS MP350

Welcome to the club Tom :)

There are good cars out there but you need to do your homework.

Mick.M

Mick.M
  • Club Member
  • 4550 posts
  • Uxbridge
  • Mick
  • Owns:ST225
:welcome: to the :st: club Tom.

Sean B

Sean B

Whipping Boy

• Club Staff
  • 13149 posts
  • Oop north
  • Swifty
  • Owns:AMG C43

:welcome: fella

Noisy Boy

Noisy Boy
  • Club Member
  • 2691 posts
  • Cheshire
  • David
  • Owns:ST3 MR 290
Welcome mate.
I bought my 59 plate ST3 in Jan 17 with 107.000 on the clock, its now got 124.000, its been totally dependable to be honest.
Needed a clutch and driveshafts eventually as it had mp260 installed before I bought it so had probably been driven well.....it had a good history so I grabbed it. Its passed every m.o.t with no advisories and never let me down.
Apart from the usual bits and pieces an 11 year old car throws up, its more than likely the best car I've owned.
As @caprixpack says, mileage means nothing.
Personally I'd go for a facelift if you can.
Happy hunting.

Bezzer1122

Bezzer1122
  • Club Member
  • 8 posts
  • Tom
Thanks for the replys. Went to see a car yesterday. It was a 10 plate ST3 FL in silver. Had done 80k miles and was for sale for £8k.

Didn't end up getting it, but it was worth going for a look as I've never been inside one before so was good to have a look around the car. Build quality inside was better than I expected to be honest. Was sort of expecting it to feel a bit cheap. But I actually really liked it, the seats are great!

The car was in pretty good condition but had the odd tiny patch of rust or the odd mark. Had a chat with the guy and he took me out for a drive in it and it felt decent. Engine sounds great on them! Although not quite as loud as I'd of hoped for so I'd probably go for a de-res on the exhaust when I finally get one.

This one hadn't had the cam belt and water pump done. Didn't ask about service history etc after that and just thought I'd keep on looking.

Worth the trip to see the car though as now I know a ST225 is definitely the car I'm after. Just need to decide on colour and find the right one now!
  • Noisy Boy likes this

Noisy Boy

Noisy Boy
  • Club Member
  • 2691 posts
  • Cheshire
  • David
Well I can help you out there.
Get a Blue one!

Bezzer1122

Bezzer1122
  • Club Member
  • 8 posts
  • Tom
Ha,the blue is nice! I also like the orange looks really nice but not sure I'd want an orange car for everyday driving.
  • Noisy Boy likes this

Noisy Boy

Noisy Boy
  • Club Member
  • 2691 posts
  • Cheshire
  • David
They're a good car in general the mk2 Focus, well built for Ford.
I drove a mk4 Focus at work last week and that did feel cheap.

sttwoton

sttwoton
  • Club Member
  • 443 posts
  • Somerset
  • Kev
  • Owns:ST3 MK3.
Great cars, very tuneable, sound great, a little dated, but that adds to the charm and certainly no more unreliable than any VAG product, of which I have had several.

Jay653

Jay653
  • Club Member
  • 592 posts
  • Jay
  • Owns:ST Mk2

The car was in pretty good condition but had the odd tiny patch of rust or the odd mark. 

I have yet to see a Ford without rust, even new ones have it after a couple of years. 

I am not too bothered about mileage, I always look for a car with full service history

sttwoton

sttwoton
  • Club Member
  • 443 posts
  • Somerset
  • Kev
  • Owns:ST3 MK3.
Buy on condition and service history, I wouldnt worry too much about high miles, as long as its been cared for, colour is a big cost factor, orange generally have a premium, if you want a facelift, best to get orange or blue, as all the other colours are available on lesser focuses, which can look a bit like a zetec s rather than an ST Particularly from the front, whereas pre facelift are more unique looking.

Bezzer1122

Bezzer1122
  • Club Member
  • 8 posts
  • Tom
Thanks for the replys guys.

I'm in two minds what to do now... I originally wanted to get a st225 because you can pick one up for cheap and it's alot of car for the money! Obviously they look and sound great aswell.

But now I just seem to be reading loads of stuff online and in the FB groups of people with problems with them. Are they really that bad? I know they are getting old but some of the stuff I've read is making me think twice. I read that driveshafts are only lasting people a few months!? That can't be right surely, that's mental!

I also read that the problem with the liners only effects about 5% of cars but seen so many posts with people with cracked liners?

Now I'm wondering wether to get an ST225 and take the risk and hope I'm not constantly paying for things every month for it. (Nearly have the money to pay for one outright so this would be the best option)

Or...

Get out a loan and get the MK3 ST instead and hopefully not have to worry and shell out a load of money on it all the time.

I'm stuck here ha! All I keep thinking is that I've had old golf R32s, GTIs etc and they never gave me all these problems so why should an old ST be any different? Surely they cant be that bad!?

Basically just need reassuring before I get one ha.
I'm hopefully going to be getting my first house soon so will be having to pay out more money than normal. That's why I thought the ST225 would be perfect as by the time I'm in a house I should have saved enough to pay for the car in full and don't have to worry about monthly payments.

Obviously don't mind paying for normal wear and tear age related parts etc. Just don't want to be spending daft amounts on things constantly breaking.

Thanks again.

Bezzer1122

Bezzer1122
  • Club Member
  • 8 posts
  • Tom
Also in reply to Jay653's comment. Why does the paint seem to go :censored: on fords and rust so quickly? Surely a 2 year old car shouldn't be showing rust!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users