56 replies to this topic

Jason

Jason
  • Club Member
  • 816 posts
  • jasoncmor
  • Owns:PB ST225

HI all

So i put this in a separate thread from the main covid thread, as this is more personal to me.

I'm just thinking, and wondering (out loud) if we have this "second wave" they have been telling us about right from the start, are we likely to enter into another nationwide lock down? Schools, businesses etc etc all having to close again? We're already in another recession, 100's of thousands left unemployed and further job losses keep happening, I don't think the country can cope with any more restrictions. 

I'm wondering from a selfish perspective really, and I know a lot of people will be affected and will also be in the same or similar situations.

But, I started college last September, cost enough at nearly 2k for the course, March came and the college shut down and there was no more college, I had planned and was supposed to be going back again in September this year to do the next level of my course, at a cost of almost double the first year.

My worry is that, with hospitals and the gov and everyone else getting ready for a second wave, what does this mean for people who have plans for the future? For me, I can't / don't want to risk paying out for the college to close again.

For the record, I know my "problem" is small compared to a lot of other things going on right now, but it would be nice to be able to actually make a plan for the future, I'm stuck in limbo as it is currently, which is making things very stressful, but really don't know what to do, wait another year? Risk it? 

It just feels like I have to put my life on hold while all this (hopefully) blows over.

What do you all think?

Advertisement

Advertisement
  • Advertisement

AndyC71

AndyC71
  • Club Member
  • 495 posts
  • Somerset
  • Andy
  • Owns:CP340exMR290
Nope, the ountry won't go into lockdown, the government can't afford anymore furlough. It will be localised lockdowns with no recompense.

As for mass unemployment, what a joke, I have shed loads of vacancies, but no one wants to know.

If you have £4k, i would recommend Class 2 & 1 licence, there is such a shortage, i have started to see £40k per annum earning for 45 hours a week.
  • whippy-woolley likes this

Badger

Badger
  • Forum User
  • 923 posts
  • beds
  • mick
  • Owns:f type s

Nope, the ountry won't go into lockdown, the government can't afford anymore furlough. It will be localised lockdowns with no recompense.

As for mass unemployment, what a joke, I have shed loads of vacancies, but no one wants to know.

If you have £4k, i would recommend Class 2 & 1 licence, there is such a shortage, i have started to see £40k per annum earning for 45 hours a week.

as a hgv driver i can tell you the driver shortage will get worse, when the eastern europeans started driving down wages in the early noughties a lot of drivers left the industry to find other jobs, the increased costs to get to a class 1 licence and cpc training also had an impact, with a lot of europeans returning to mainland europe leaving the shortage we see now,  but a lot of the remaining hgv drivers are ageing (in their 50's and 60's) these will be retiring in the coming years leaving a big gap. the company i work for i would say most are over 50.

Rod S

Rod S
  • Forum User
  • 244 posts
  • Rural Suffolk
  • Rod
  • Owns:ST3 250 Mk3

There will be a "second wave". Just look around the world, even the countries that closed their borders (Island states like Aus and NZ even though they have had recent resurgences) and, more recently South Korea.

The problem in the UK is that, although we have nearly 50k deaths - that is 50,000 in real numbers (and you can all argue the figures but Aus is still only 502 and NZ is only 22, where do you put the comma after 502 to make it 50000 ???)

Now whatever the apologists argue about how the figures are calculated - and BoJo the clown is trying to argue down our 50,000, but he'll never argue it down to 22 or 502 - the fact is simple.

People in the UK are plain stupid.

And BoJo the clown is plain stupid.

Encouraging people to go overseas on holidays then changing the rules daily, and then expecting people will actually follow next day's rules....

Pathetic.

I'll bet the second wave in this country will be a lot worse than the county's where the intelligent governments who actually closed their borders.

The only answer will be an effective vaccine and/or a proven treatment - and that is still a long, long way away.

But, as per Andy above, there are lots of employment opportunities - so much shopping on-line now, I've even started getting UK, English speaking delivery drivers turning up from Amazon, Tesco, all the other usual suspects, rather than Eastern European who can't speak English and I suspect it will be the same in the large haulage industry and all the distribution warehouses.

I think life is going to be a lot different to what we have know it for the next couple of years. 

• NickFST3 and Noisy Boy like this

AndyC71

AndyC71
  • Club Member
  • 495 posts
  • Somerset
  • Andy
  • Owns:CP340exMR290

as a hgv driver i can tell you the driver shortage will get worse, when the eastern europeans started driving down wages in the early noughties a lot of drivers left the industry to find other jobs, the increased costs to get to a class 1 licence and cpc training also had an impact, with a lot of europeans returning to mainland europe leaving the shortage we see now,  but a lot of the remaining hgv drivers are ageing (in their 50's and 60's) these will be retiring in the coming years leaving a big gap. the company i work for i would say most are over 50.

Also, I know so many who decided they did not want to update their DCPC qualification in September 2019, and retired as a result.

You are spot on plenty of Eastern Europeans have gone home and Brexit is stopping those from coming here.

It is only going to get worse.
  • Badger likes this

AlexDH

AlexDH
  • Club Member
  • 2463 posts
  • Alex
  • Owns:ST225
I don't think it will ever go away and will become like the flu where we have a surge every so often.
  • NickFST3 likes this

cuprajake

cuprajake
  • Club Member
  • 290 posts
Try googling how many people have died yr on yr

2019 was a very low year for deaths, this yr has evened that out

Yes its bad what has gone on, terrible but the catch up is from the old who would of died in 2019
  • K3FUS and AndyC71 like this

cuprajake

cuprajake
  • Club Member
  • 290 posts
And if you find it, as its quite hard to find, 2019 figures are around 530k deaths were 2018 are 590k massive difference

NigelStap

NigelStap
  • Club Member
  • 4044 posts
  • Norwich
  • Nigel
  • Owns:ST225
I think Australia and New Zealand are yet to have the first wave. Lockdown solves nothing, other than to reduce the peak, for the sake of health services. All the countries that hid up in April will suffer later.

Second wave is a possibily but not a certainty. If it does come there will be no furlough grants.
  • K3FUS, NickFST3, Badger and 2 others like this

GRP

GRP
  • Club Member
  • 419 posts
There is a global recession,leaving the EU is also going to have a massive impact,we are going to get hammered,the open door policy this country has is costing millions,and we the working class will be paying for it NOT the rich or the politicians or the do gooders ,serious crime is going to rise because our justice system is badly broken,I'm not a racist but the open door policy this country has for the last 40yrs where we let anyone in has made us inherently racist,my mate works for a local authority who have to keep 50% off they're housing stock for immigrants who all have a social worker who claim everything for them even disability cars,they usually have 4 or 5 names,give 2 to the DHSS and 2 to the taxman and screw the system.Im all for charity but look after your own people first .Its a proven fact mass immigration drives down wages and the rich get richer.We are a big soft touch,that's why they travel across Europe to come here.Im telling my grand children to get a good education and then leave this country because it's not ours anymore.But some people can't see what's in front of us.Yes lots more people will die from this virus but we ll never know the true figure s because they will be suppressed.A very bleak future
  • middleagecrisis, Noisy Boy, Geebs and 1 other like this

kiemuloly

kiemuloly
  • Club Member
  • 2337 posts
  • Michael
  • Owns:Focus ST MK2
I seen a graph about deaths from various diseases so far this year.. I won't vouch for its accuracy as it was on Facebook :lol:

But anyway, obviously covid is up massively but many others, the ones that caught my attention were things involving respiratory and heart problems, are down by about the same amount that covid has claimed.

I have no doubt that covid plays it's part, but I also doubt that if there was no covid a lot of these people would have died over the next few years anyway. Sad and harsh as that may be.

If I'm right will be proven by reduced figures the coming years- but I imagine that won't be plastered all over media.

I don't think there'll be another lockdown. It's all a joke (unless you're unlucky enough to be affected by it).

I mean... You must wear a mask (but it's not important enough to tell you to do it straight away, It can wait until a convenient day) and you must social distance and avoid crowded areas. Also there's an imminent second wave so be overly cautious but... Let's give discounts to eating out so everyone rushes to the same places on the same days without the need to wear said vital masks because that will solve the problem of a second wave!

Wait...
  • Geebs, GRP and Rod S like this

K3FUS

K3FUS
  • Forum User
  • 4149 posts
  • North Norfolk
  • keith

Considering we can’t count what has happened how do you think we can predict what may happen?

andip85

andip85
  • Club Member
  • 786 posts
  • Leeds
  • Andrew
  • Owns:ST225(CP340)

I think Australia and New Zealand are yet to have the first wave. Lockdown solves nothing, other than to reduce the peak, for the sake of health services. All the countries that hid up in April will suffer later.

Second wave is a possibily but not a certainty. If it does come there will be no furlough grants.

^^ Agree. I do wonder what would happen if they _actually_ did have a big spike in cases like we did in the UK (for example) -  they'd be totally equipped to handle it right? (hint of sarcasm there...) What has happened in the UK and elsewhere (deaths wise) is horrible. I'm not trying to lessen anything - it's a horrible thing to have happened. HOWEVER whatever the government did it would have been wrong (sure I've said this before). 

If we'd gone into early/strict lockdown it would have devastated the economy even more. If we came out of lockdown quickly we'd end up like Spain with a massive surge in cases. If we sealed off our borders and didn't allow ANYONE in (or out) you'd destroy aviation. There's no "holy grail" of an answer with this - for every action, there's a consequence.

I've recently returned from south France (near Bergerac) and to be honest the whole experience was fine (airport & flights wise etc). Having ventured out to a few places though, while people were being careful I can see why there's a resurgence. I'm surprised we've not see more of it in the UK to be honest, but then there are still a number of sectors only just re-opening. 

If people are sensible and not selfish I think we'll escape a second wave. There maybe sacrifices to make when schools re-open and households "mix" but really, we've got it easy. I understand it's killing businesses ( I work in travel/aviation and it's totally and utterly soul destroying at the moment) but, the more people are sensible and stay apart the easier life is for everyone. Local lockdowns sure, they'll be effective IF people follow the rules - but to be honest, people will start getting sick of not being allowed out - more so when the weather turns. 

Without being doom and gloom though, the worst is still to come. If we're lucky there will be a vaccine by the end of the year/early next - but the damage will have been done by then. Furlough ending and the weather turning will be the next test - both for society and the economy. 

While I miss people (I've see NO ONE other than my other halfs family and friends and a couple of work colleagues for 2 days) since March. I miss going out to eat nice food or for a drink. I miss date nights etc etc. This isn't forever. This will end as long as everyone pulls together and stops being selfish.

• AndyC71 likes this

FastEddie

FastEddie
  • Forum User
  • 3996 posts
How many deaths have there been of non-OAPs and also without serious u/l health issues ? I bet its less than 1000.

If they keep it out of care homes that will save most lives. For the general population it's barely a problem worthy of closing the whole economy for a second time.
  • Geebs likes this

cuprajake

cuprajake
  • Club Member
  • 290 posts

agree, by all accounts mental health issues if the biggest killer

• GRP likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users