Hello from a new Derbyshire ST owner. - New User Meet and Greet - Focus ST Owners Club

Hello from a new Derbyshire ST owner.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Derventio Dave

Derventio Dave
  • Forum User
  • 4 posts
  • David
  • Owns:ST-3 MK3

Hi to all. After cruising around in luxo diesel, automatic barges for the past 15 years, or so. I finally decided that I wanted a change. And boy, what a change!

I haven't experienced torque steer like this since I had an MG Montego Turbo!

I already have a few questions, which I am quite sure I will be able to get answers to on here. Indeed, I have already found the answer to on of the first questions I had upon starting the car from cold for the first time: Yes. It is normal for it to sound like an old Pug XUD when you first start it up and all direct injection engines sound like that.

Which is a relief!

Still going through the "Have I done the right thing?" anxiety at the moment but hopefully, it will all be ok.

Advertisement

Advertisement
  • Advertisement

Sean B

Sean B

Whipping Boy

• Club Staff
  • 13151 posts
  • Oop north
  • Swifty
  • Owns:AMG C43

Welcome :)

The torque steer you feel isn't necessarily actual torque steer. It could well the the traction control cutting in too eagerly and braking the wheels individually as it sees fit. This was a very pronounced effect on the PFL Mk3's, and was still there on the FL's although not so much. Try using sport mode to see if that makes a difference, as it cuts down the intrusion from the traction control.

sttwoton

sttwoton
  • Club Member
  • 467 posts
  • Somerset
  • Kev
  • Owns:ST3 MK3.
Welcome, pfl dont have sport mode, just on or off, the rattling engine worried me at fist, but its normal, although I would advise a catch can, I cleaned my inlet valves the other day and they were pretty gunked up.

Derventio Dave

Derventio Dave
  • Forum User
  • 4 posts
  • David

Mines a PFL,(I think) estate so the TC is on or off. What did you use to clean you valves? I am assuming you used an additive rather than stripped down your engine!

Sean B

Sean B

Whipping Boy

• Club Staff
  • 13151 posts
  • Oop north
  • Swifty
  • Owns:AMG C43

Welcome, pfl dont have sport mode, just on or off, the rattling engine worried me at fist, but its normal, although I would advise a catch can, I cleaned my inlet valves the other day and they were pretty gunked up.

The PFL Mk3 does have a sport mode. You press the ESC button to engage sport mode, it comes up on the dash, and hold it down for four seconds to turn traction control off completely.

• sttwoton likes this

sttwoton

sttwoton
  • Club Member
  • 467 posts
  • Somerset
  • Kev
I did a strip down, removed the inlet manifold, cleaned the valves with de-carbonising brush kit and crc gdi valve cleaner, there is a few videos on YouTube on how to remove the inlet and clean the valves, you have to remove the inlet to fit a catch can anyway.

sttwoton

sttwoton
  • Club Member
  • 467 posts
  • Somerset
  • Kev

The PFL Mk3 does have a sport mode. You press the ESC button to engage sport mode, it comes up on the dash, and hold it down for four seconds to turn traction control off completely.

Ill have to give it a try, but Im pretty sure Ive pressed the button and it just switches the esp off.

Jason Sullivan

Jason Sullivan
  • Club Member
  • 2828 posts
  • Caerphilly South Wales
  • Jason
  • Owns:MK3 RS

The pfl does have sport mode.

Welcome aboard David.

• sttwoton likes this

Derventio Dave

Derventio Dave
  • Forum User
  • 4 posts
  • David

Aha! Sorted it. press the ESC switch once and "sport" comes up on the dash. Press and hold and the ESC is turned off altogether.

At what mileage is it recommended that you do a valve clean?

• Jason Sullivan and sttwoton like this

sttwoton

sttwoton
  • Club Member
  • 467 posts
  • Somerset
  • Kev
Yeah, Ive just been out to try it out, you are correct, I was sure it just turned off, but sport mode is what Ill be using from now on.
My car is on 78k, never been done before, I would do it after 30k, especially if there is no catch can, Ive also decided to fit a second can on the upper pipe, between the cam cover and induction pipe, after seeing how much oil was in the inlet and the throttle body.

Freddy42

Freddy42
  • Club Member
  • 98 posts
  • Ashby de la Zouch
  • Freddy
  • Owns:2014 ST250

I did a strip down, removed the inlet manifold, cleaned the valves with de-carbonising brush kit and crc gdi valve cleaner, there is a few videos on YouTube on how to remove the inlet and clean the valves, you have to remove the inlet to fit a catch can anyway.

Hope you enjoy this club David; there's always plenty of wit and wisdom to enjoy.

The Steeda catch can, unlike the others, is fitted at the rear of the engine.

https://cdn.shopify....290781899515709

Does it have the same effect?

Alb

Alb
  • Administrator
  • 23400 posts
  • Gloucestershire
  • Alb
  • Owns:Mk2 RS MP350

Welcome to the club David :)

sttwoton

sttwoton
  • Club Member
  • 467 posts
  • Somerset
  • Kev
Ive already fitted the front catch can, from the block to the inlet, now Im going to fit the rear can as well, as per the streeda, from the cam cover to intake crossover tube.

sttwoton

sttwoton
  • Club Member
  • 467 posts
  • Somerset
  • Kev
Well Ive been out in the car and tried out the sport setting on the esp, I must admit, the car drives a lot straighter, rather than pulling the steering left and right, much more confident feel, even if the wheels want to spin under load. Thanks for the heads up guys.
  • Jason Sullivan likes this

Derventio Dave

Derventio Dave
  • Forum User
  • 4 posts
  • David

Thanks folks. I had a drive over to see my Dad last night, about 60 miles return over a good mix of roads, including dual carriageway and twisty B roads. Switching to sport mode makes a real difference. The car somehow feels more settled, especially when accelerating on a bumpy road.

What was an even bigger surprise, though, was that on the way back, I decide to just drive "normally". I slowed it down a bit, and drove as though I'd got the family in the car with me, dialing the acceleration down a bit and shifting a little earlier.

The net result was a surprisingly relaxed lope across country and an indicated 42.2 MPG. I know you don't buy one of these for fuel economy but to me that seems pretty good for a motor that can go full animal when you want it to. Its nice to have a car that can do both lunatic and normal without breaking the bank.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users