Ford Focus ST Forum banner

"Smart" motorway speed cameras

9K views 134 replies 22 participants last post by  Sean B 
#1 ·
Driving on the M1 yesterday evening the Smart boards showed a temp speed restriction of 40mph, I let the car naturally slow rather than jumping on the break and by the time I went past the next gantry I was flashed by a camera, I had slowed to 55mph by that point. The next lot of boards showed the speed restrictions were lifted and back to 70. For the quarter mile or so that the 40mph limit was in place there was no explanation for it, no hazards or reason for it, traffic was very light and visibility was fine.

So my question is, what do you think my chances are? Am I wrong to feel hard done by if I get a ticket as I was technically speeding, should I just take the fine/points or dispute it? I'm guessing the whole appeals process is very much rigged for failure and is so time consuming/convoluted that the points seem like a lesser punishment.

I can say that it's been a while since I drove as long a distance in one sitting and its so much more draining than it used to be now you have to constantly watch your speedo & overhead screens and you can't just drive to the conditions by watching the actual road. Plus nothing takes the fun out of driving like being constantly monitored while you're doing it, even if you're making a conscious effort to drive like a good boy. It's all a step in the wrong direction if you ask me.

See less See more
#2 ·
I would feel hard done too considering the circumstances but unfortunately I think you will just have to accept it.

I regularly travel on the motorways etc early morning/night so come across Road works fairly often. Sometimes they are left on even though the road works have finished early and cleared.

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Unfortunately I think you're gonna have to accept it.
I read somewhere a story about a motorway that there had previously been an accident on the night before I believe, the road had been cleaned up and running but the gantry had been set and left at 30mph, conveniently the one with the camera on, loads of people carried on as normal as the speed was being reduced at the 30 gantry and hundreds got tickets.
It's always convenient that the gantry with the lower speed always has the cameras on!

#5 ·
Hi Chris, you say "next gantry" are you saying that you went past the first gantry over the limit and were still over at 55 when you passed the "next one".

I agree with Jason and James, I think you will just have to accept it. Hopefully you have no other points - unless it is serious the first one does not normally cause an increase to your ins cost.

I drive the M5 regularly and the managed area at Bristol, RAC Centre onwards southbound, is very often being "managed". Never ignore a red speed limit on a managed stretch.

The Bristol stretch is usually "average speed cams"

When there are no red lights on it is the standard 70 limit and it is amazing the number of people that drive well over 70. Regrettably random photos are taken of those doing over 70 mph in this managed area and fines sent out - how do I know - experience!!!

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
I think you're going to have to suck it up unfortunately. You were over the limit and there generally aren't many mitigating circumstances that will get you out of it.

There doesn't have to be anything visible on the road for the gantries to change the speed limit - there are sensors in the road and if they detect cars travelling close together at speed they will automatically lower the speed limit to make it safer. A lot of the restrictions on smart motorways that appear to be for no apparent reason are simply caused by people driving too close.

#8 ·
Bad luck mate, if you get the option go for the Driving Awareness course I did it at the beginning of the year doing 35 in a 30 :facepalm:

Its not to bad in fact quite interesting in parts and only take about 4Hrs. No points at the end and no impact on Insurance at least

none on mine anyway.

#9 ·
Do you have a dashcam that shows speed (GPS calculated) and hence what you did and why ?

TBH showing what you did and why and what the road conditions were (ie, you slowed down slowly because there was nothing to slow down for) "might" help you if you appeal but I doubt it.

Gantry was probably "accidentally" left set long after the initial reason just to earn maximum revenue.

But, whatever, I don't drive anywhere now (my ST or the wife's MPV) without the dashcams running.

#10 ·
Exact same thing happened to me, had a car behind me, saw the board change and let the car slow down instead of upsetting the chap following, I got flashed, the car in the lane next to me got flashed and so did the car following.

Ticket came through for 46 mph, I didn't fight it, just paid the £100 and took the 3 points.

#11 ·
Same with me, M5 by Cribbs Causeway on Xmas day 2017. 8pm in the evening, mother in law going to A&E with abdominal pain, no one on the road, first gantry 60, second gantry 40, third gantry end of speed restriction. Got zapped at 46.

A&E in Weston closed at night, not a soul on the road, no hazard and dashcam footage available.

Took the 3 points and £100 fine with a nice SP50 conviction.

#12 ·
Same with me, M5 by Cribbs Causeway on Xmas day 2017. 8pm in the evening, mother in law going to A&E with abdominal pain, no one on the road, first gantry 60, second gantry 40, third gantry end of speed restriction. Got zapped at 46.

A&E in Weston closed at night, not a soul on the road, no hazard and dashcam footage available.

Took the 3 points and £100 fine with a nice SP50 conviction.
Didn`t you have the option of Drivers Awareness Course Andy

#15 ·
Nope, I got clocked doing 33 in a 30 in the middle of Bristol 13 days earlier at 2am with nobody around.
Really? I thought most police forces give a larger leeway than that (limit + 10% + 2mph is the usual) - that would make it 30+3+2 = prosecution @ 35mph or above.

Remember that's a true speed as well - your speedo will be probably showing 37-39mph.

#17 ·
Another way of taxing the motorist I'm afraid, that's thing with smart motorways, most people slam the anchors on to get there speed down, and this is what causes the wave effect of the phantom traffic jams further back.
But if people didn't drive too close in the first place then a lot of the time this would never be a problem as the speed limits wouldn't be lowered :)

#18 ·
Another way of taxing the motorist I'm afraid, that's thing with smart motorways, most people slam the anchors on to get there speed down, and this is what causes the wave effect of the phantom traffic jams further back.
Na...if a new, lowered speed limit is suddenly active then the system is set to leave it at least 1 minute before the cameras respond.

The 'tax' as you call it goes to driver education courses (Speed Awareness and the lessor known Motorway Awareness course) - there is no financial benefit for the police or local authority or indeed national government, to 'tax' the motorist by speed camera fines. Most (not all) attendees of the courses say how good they are and learn some important stuff.

There is a lot of debate amongst motorists (including me!) on speed cameras and penalties and fines but it's often factually incorrect - often raised by people who get caught through poor driving looking for sympathy or excuses I reckon.

#19 ·
I got clocked doing 33 in a 30 in the middle of Bristol 13 days earlier at 2am with nobody around.
That seems extremely harsh! I would have been tempted to appeal that because it surely cannot be in the public interest to prosecute for such a very small misdemeanour. Having said that to be caught twice in 2 weeks suggests you are a serial offender. :D

As already mentioned though your speedo would have been reading at least 35mph.

It is so easy to stray above so I am always extra careful with my speed in 30 limits and below.

#23 ·
I don't agree with people driving too fast around places where they shouldn't i.e Schools, town centres e.t.c.
There is a time and a place for fast driving and the Motorway should be that place.
Were they not originally designed to cut journey times and keep traffic away from towns and villages?
(To make getting somewhere far easier and quicker)

There is a lot of debate amongst motorists (including me!) on speed cameras and penalties and fines but it's often factually incorrect - often raised by people who get caught through poor driving looking for sympathy or excuses I reckon.

I have a clean license due to being able to drive sensibly and to the conditions at the time....

As for Speed Cameras on a Motorway......Money making!

#24 · (Edited by Moderator)
It's the same old story tbh, take parking fines, all the councils in the land swear they dont do it for revenue income, then a few weeks after the covid lockdown, there all moaning they are loosing revenue hand over fist because the motorist isn't out using the roads and parking facilities and they haven't clawed any penalty notices in. Everyone is out to make money, it's what makes the world go round, you cant tell me that the astronomical amount of money that's raked in from speeding fines each year is spent on driver awareness courses lol🤣 and for the record I've never had a speeding ticket or parking penalty👍

#25 ·
Really? I thought most police forces give a larger leeway than that (limit + 10% + 2mph is the usual) - that would make it 30+3+2 = prosecution @ 35mph or above.

Remember that's a true speed as well - your speedo will be probably showing 37-39mph.
We had this conversation earlier in the thread. I was clocked on St John's Lane in Bedminster. I thought i still had the paperwork, but sadly I don't.

#26 ·
I don't agree with people driving too fast around places where they shouldn't i.e Schools, town centres e.t.c.
There is a time and a place for fast driving and the Motorway should be that place.
Were they not originally designed to cut journey times and keep traffic away from towns and villages?
(To make getting somewhere far easier and quicker)

I have a clean license due to being able to drive sensibly and to the conditions at the time....

As for Speed Cameras on a Motorway......Money making!
But they wouldn't make money if people didn't break the law and speed....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.