Your pros and cons - Focus ST Mk4 Non Technical Discussion - Focus ST Owners Club

Your pros and cons

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Eddyf93

Eddyf93
  • Forum User
  • 5 posts
  • Eddy
  • Owns:ST MK4
So after having constant problems with my current Mercedes, which is in the process of being rejected and returned, I've been constantly thinking about the new mk4 ST, and as a Ford employee, the deals I can get are very very cheap!

The salesman will always tell me the good bits about the car, but never the bad, so I'm keen to know what the pros and cons are from an owners point of view.

Still yet to see a magnetic coloured ST, so I'd love to see any pictures that people have.

Advertisement

Advertisement
  • Advertisement

alanplum241276

alanplum241276
  • Club Member
  • 14 posts
  • Bristol, UK
  • Alan
  • Owns:ST Mk4

I ordered a new ST Automatic in Magnetic, and then the dealer phoned me to say Ford have deferred production.

Ended up with Agate Black, Manual from stock........The magnetic did look very nice.....however I saw a standard focus parked near me recently in magnetic, and decided I was happy with black...

Eddyf93

Eddyf93
  • Forum User
  • 5 posts
  • Eddy

I ordered a new ST Automatic in Magnetic, and then the dealer phoned me to say Ford have deferred production.

Ended up with Agate Black, Manual from stock........The magnetic did look very nice.....however I saw a standard focus parked near me recently in magnetic, and decided I was happy with black...

That's interesting! I've been in constant discussion with my salesman and he's never mentioned any deferrals, I'll have to ask the question.

I've ways had black and grey cars and sometimes I regret them because it kind of hides the shape of the car, but white and performance blue are a definite no for me so I'm a bit stuck hahah

alanplum241276

alanplum241276
  • Club Member
  • 14 posts
  • Bristol, UK
  • Alan

This is an excerpt of the email I got.....

Basically, Ford are deferring production for a number of models across the range, with a number of models, series and powertrains not possible for build before the end of 2020.....the ST 2.3 manual and 7 speed automatic are both effected models.

So, long and short of it, as frustrating as it is, we won’t be able to supply an ST with automatic transmission until 2021. The only option could be is if you would consider a manual transmission, as we could then potentially get one from stock, but you may have to compromise on colour and spec as we would be looking at a limited pool of cars – when I search for the spec we quoted for but in a manual

Eddyf93

Eddyf93
  • Forum User
  • 5 posts
  • Eddy
I'll have to chase that up at work, mine will be a factory build and people here seem to think I'd get it around October if I ordered in the next week or so

alanplum241276

alanplum241276
  • Club Member
  • 14 posts
  • Bristol, UK
  • Alan

I'll have to chase that up at work, mine will be a factory build and people here seem to think I'd get it around October if I ordered in the next week or so

I was originally told October too, but 3 days after discussing the order, he told me the above....

sttwoton

sttwoton
  • Club Member
  • 225 posts
  • Somerset
  • Kev
  • Owns:ST3 MK3.

There should never be an automatic ST anyway, absolute Sacrilege.
  • caprixpack likes this

Eddyf93

Eddyf93
  • Forum User
  • 5 posts
  • Eddy

There should never be an automatic ST anyway, absolute Sacrilege.

I must admit I was swaying towards the auto, but after watching the reviews it was a definite no! A lot quieter, only marginally quicker, and doesn't have launch control. Which is weird seen as the manual does! Hahah

sttwoton

sttwoton
  • Club Member
  • 225 posts
  • Somerset
  • Kev
Auto cant handle the forces involved with a launch.

shawty1984

shawty1984
  • Forum User
  • 19 posts
  • Andrew
  • Owns:None

Auto cant handle the forces involved with a launch.

The Focus or autos in general? Don't Ferraris have autos?

Dangerousdriver77

Dangerousdriver77
  • Forum User
  • 95 posts
  • West Sussex
  • Leon
  • Owns:Mk4

So after having constant problems with my current Mercedes, which is in the process of being rejected and returned, I've been constantly thinking about the new mk4 ST, and as a Ford employee, the deals I can get are very very cheap!

The salesman will always tell me the good bits about the car, but never the bad, so I'm keen to know what the pros and cons are from an owners point of view.

Still yet to see a magnetic coloured ST, so I'd love to see any pictures that people have.

Walk away!! 

I have had two of them now both with problems and also I had 2 Fiesta ST's 2018 also with issues. 

I could not recommend Ford to my worst enemy. 

The issues I suffered on my Focus ST's: Steering failure twice, rattles coming from the door cards from the poor quality internals, dash creaks in general, boot not sprayed correctly, bonnet not fitted straight, one alloy wheel a different colour to the other 3 wheels, fuel filler cap not aligned correctly, poor quality interior plastics...

MikeO

MikeO
  • Forum User
  • 449 posts
  • SW Scotland
  • Mike
  • Owns:I30N

The Focus or autos in general? Don't Ferraris have autos?

In answer to your question. A lot of modern performance orientated cars with an auto box have some form of launch control. Even the RS Clio EDC (auto) that I owned at one point, had launch control and it worked pretty well. Mind you, not the best auto box in these motors. Though far better than a lot of reviews made them out, especially in post 2016 build, which inherited the box upgrades from the Tophy edition of the RS Clio.

sttwoton

sttwoton
  • Club Member
  • 225 posts
  • Somerset
  • Kev

Walk away!! 

I have had two of them now both with problems and also I had 2 Fiesta ST's 2018 also with issues. 

I could not recommend Ford to my worst enemy. 

The issues I suffered on my Focus ST's: Steering failure twice, rattles coming from the door cards from the poor quality internals, dash creaks in general, boot not sprayed correctly, bonnet not fitted straight, one alloy wheel a different colour to the other 3 wheels, fuel filler cap not aligned correctly, poor quality interior plastics...

I think youre probably on the wrong site here bud, Id imagine 99% of people on here would say the complete opposite.
  • henrik_7 and ST-FRD like this

sttwoton

sttwoton
  • Club Member
  • 225 posts
  • Somerset
  • Kev
There are some big law suits going on in the states due to Focuss with poor auto boxes, I believe Ford offer a buy back scheme, youd never get that in the U.K.

Dangerousdriver77

Dangerousdriver77
  • Forum User
  • 95 posts
  • West Sussex
  • Leon
  • Owns:Mk4

I think youre probably on the wrong site here bud, Id imagine 99% of people on here would say the complete opposite.

How am I on the wrong site?! I have a Mk4 Focus ST... Do you own one also then?

I am not inventing the issues I stated, they are proven and hence why Ford exchanged the vehicle for another one.
  • Jason Sullivan, Noisy Boy and Srea064 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users