A word of encouragement - Focus ST Mk2 Non Technical Discussion - Focus ST Owners Club

A word of encouragement

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

david12

david12
  • Club Member
  • 13 posts
  • david12
  • Owns:ST225

Hi folks I do not normally post but I have been a member here for a few years now.  I posted when I first bought my ST think about 2012/13 and it had 7000 miles and still had the original continental tyres from new and even the plastics on the door strips which it still has.

Well, roll forward to 182,000 miles later, and it is still as beautiful to drive as day one. It still looks in great condition, no rattles, no squeaks, well I couldn’t live with these anyway so just as well. It passed the MOT last month without a single advisory.  The tester commented that they have never seen one with so many miles let alone with no advisory.

So what have I done over the past few years?

The key for me is that the oil, oil filter and air filter element, are changed every three months without fail.  The spark plugs are changed every twelve months. I have tried the both the ST and RS plugs and cannot say I have noticed any tangible difference, in fact I have not.  Had the power steering and brake fluid flushed last year for peace of mind.  (they were original).  Wax oiled the underneath last year.  For peace of mind I changed also the MAF it was the original one but perfectly fine. Well it was twelve years old at the time, so I thought id change it along with a perfectly working fuel pressure sensor, why not. Now, and yes, I fill up three times per week as my right foot is lead laden. And yes, the car gets driven at least 120 plus miles per day. You would think that because I only use Shell V Power, 99% of the time and the odd BP Ultimate/Momentum, coupled with the mileage I do that the throttle body would be mint.  Nope, I took this off for a clean a while back, as I do to any car I have, and it was very gummed up and black.  After cleaning the response from the pedal was noticeably smoother.  

What has gone wrong?         

One rear wheel bearing about five years ago.  One reverse light switch again about six/seven years ago. Changed the original drive shafts three years ago.  Mainly the driver side was gone but the passenger side had a slight play, so I just change both for peace of mind. Replaced with original Ford.  The original air con pump went two years ago, no big deal really, so had that replaced.   The original battery went two years ago, and I fitted a Yuasa with a five-year warranty.  In October last year had a problem with cutting out a few times, not the nicest of thing in the fast lane and your pressing the accelerator and nothing happens and every single light in the dash is lighting up. Turned out to be the binnacle but it also cost me a new gas pedal as a result, not cheap. The MAP sensor went early last year, easy to change. Discs and pads of course are general wear and tear items, so I do not count these. No suspension parts changed.                                                  

The car is purely standard save for a change of back box from the cat, last year as the original was getting a wee bit rusty.  I have had no issues with cracked block etc. so no block mod.

The car is a 2007 built and it is still on the original clutch at 182,000 miles.  I wonder if it will make 200,000 on the same clutch.  I have kept every single bill and document its history.

Jobs to do? Change all the water hoses to silicone

Change all the brake hoses to possibly braided or renew as standard.

I intend to keep this car until it dies as I use it even more than the Jaguar we have.

So anyone hesitating to buy an ST, go for it, find a good one first , service it well and in return it will serve you well with years of pleasure. 

Oh! and they are made to be driven so drive it.     

So! There you have it, the end.  Till the next dose of encouragement.

• CAFXR5, Mick.M, FastEddie and 8 others like this

Advertisement

Advertisement
  • Advertisement

KD372a

KD372a
  • Club Member
  • 246 posts
  • Reigate, Surrey
  • Kev
Excellent write up. Well cared for and well used, just like mine.
BTW have you changed the cam belt, aux belts & water pump, plus fluids?
I'm about to get mine done but it's newer with a lot less mileage.

Alb

Alb
  • Administrator
  • 22917 posts
  • Gloucestershire
  • Alb
  • Owns:Mk2 RS MP350

Good post which I've now also pinned :)

As Kev says above, surprised there is no mention of belts.

FastEddie

FastEddie
  • Forum User
  • 3968 posts
Great info and backs up my own experience of ST daily-driver reliability with my 2008 car. :thumbsup:

Verodrive

Verodrive

Formerly Azionamento

• Sponsor
  • 2694 posts
  • Bristol, UK
  • Martin
  • Owns:ST250

Nice one David...182,000 miles is quite some figure.  My old ST had done 139,000m when I traded it in - also on the original clutch...and no serious problems over 10 years.

Great to see someone looking after a standard ST - of course the problem will come when you need to spend serious money and although you clearly love the car, it's just not worth spending loads of money on it.  I reckon you've had your money's worth!

Martin
Advanced Driving Instructor - www.verodrive.co.uk

david12

david12
  • Club Member
  • 13 posts
  • david12

Sorry folks it was gone midnight when I wrote.

Yes I am on my second set of timing belt kits and have always changed well before the due mileage, inc (timing belt, water pump, tensioner and auxiliary belts each time). And yes the fluids have been changed.  

• Mick.M and NickFST3 like this

Mick.M

Mick.M
  • Club Member
  • 4438 posts
  • Uxbridge
  • Mick
Got any pics of the car David?

kiemuloly

kiemuloly
  • Club Member
  • 2302 posts
  • Michael
  • Owns:Focus ST MK2
I have spent a small fortune on mine, but not until I started modifying. I don't regret a penny but her reliability before mods was exceptional and after modding... What else would you expect?

I had to get break down out the other day for a screw in the tyre and it got me thinking. In 8 years I've called out breakdown for 2 tyres and a flat battery. That's doing about 90k miles. Even if she has complained with things like coil packs going down, she's not let me down yet. Goes to show what these cars can do with proper maintenance, and she has taken a fair bit of abuse. Especially recently, and we're North of 140k miles now

Dabhand16

Dabhand16
  • Club Member
  • 4938 posts
  • Dunstable Bedfordshire

The car I had before the ST was a 1994 red top Calibra.

When I changed to the ST it had just over 206,000 miles on it and ran as sweet as a nut.  Serviced at normal service intervals.

david12

david12
  • Club Member
  • 13 posts
  • david12

Got any pics of the car David?

I do but I have no idea how to upload.  Think I tried when I first became a member and haven't tried since.

MATT-ST-225

MATT-ST-225
  • Club Member
  • 154 posts
  • derbyshire
  • matt
  • Owns:pb mk2 st225

good write up buddy and shows how good/strong these cars are if cared for.

compare the vxr astra and many gearbox rebuilds etc that seem to be in the sales write ups on ebay!

my cars done 138k now,with full history and regular oil changes,block mod done,water pump/belts/fluids changed twice also,

and drives superbly and is also on its original clutch.

mine also only has light mods,kms section 18 cat back exhaust with sports cat,ram air grp a and a recirc valve fitted by a previous owner.

im currently scouring the stage 1 route and maybe the intercooler upgrade....but im weary of affecting reliability and buggering the clutch

or tempting fate with reliability.

theres zero rust bubbling anywhere and it still shines like a good un,just need the stone chips sorting on the bonnet,seems to attract them and road rash like flies to she-ite!

couldnt be happier with mine.

david12

david12
  • Club Member
  • 13 posts
  • david12

good write up buddy and shows how good/strong these cars are if cared for.

compare the vxr astra and many gearbox rebuilds etc that seem to be in the sales write ups on ebay!

my cars done 138k now,with full history and regular oil changes,block mod done,water pump/belts/fluids changed twice also,

and drives superbly and is also on its original clutch.

mine also only has light mods,kms section 18 cat back exhaust with sports cat,ram air grp a and a recirc valve fitted by a previous owner.

im currently scouring the stage 1 route and maybe the intercooler upgrade....but im weary of affecting reliability and buggering the clutch

or tempting fate with reliability.

theres zero rust bubbling anywhere and it still shines like a good un,just need the stone chips sorting on the bonnet,seems to attract them and road rash like flies to she-ite!

couldnt be happier with mine.

Absolutely, or maybe we just got lucky.  I used to read that all the issues circulates around the 2007 cars but I have not experienced any.  But even if it falls apart now as someone above said I have had my moneys worth. I might even repair it. In the main I stick with castrol magnatec 5W/30.  It seems to suite the engine. Mine has the keyless entry and start and the original Ford Denso head unit with nav, bluetooth, voice and climate control and it works perfect. With so much miles the steering wheel was ok but more shiny from use.  All the others I look at were the same but I found a virtually brand new RS steering wheel last week, not that I wanted and RS wheel but for the price I could not resist.  Its a performance blue by the way.

Alb

Alb
  • Administrator
  • 22917 posts
  • Gloucestershire
  • Alb
  • Owns:Mk2 RS MP350

I do but I have no idea how to upload.  Think I tried when I first became a member and haven't tried since.

Have a look here... https://www.focussto...to-post-images/

Robbo

Robbo
  • Club Member
  • 4397 posts
  • Forster, NSW, Australia
  • Rob
  • Owns:ST225 RSlump

My blue (and silver lol) PFL has over 350,000 kilometres on it but it's not an example I can use lol, just about everything in the car has been modded or replaced at various points.

My FL has around 260,000 kilometres on it and was standard when I bought it. Original clutch I expect. It had electrical gremlins and got it cheap as chips. Worked on ensuring earths were good and replaced a faulty dash cluster and it's been fine since. Now slowly getting to various maintenance items and some minor mods plus did the hifi. It's a dirty pig underneath but because it wasn't fiddled with, things are in good nick in general. No rust. I'd love to give it a good blow over with a hot water pressure cleaner under there. Will replace the front suspension soon as I have a low mileage wreck for parts that was purchased at salvage auction. It had the bonnet come loose at about 100kph when the rad support broke so the chassis is good. didn't hit anything, just the bonnet into the windscreen and roof. That engine is currently in my PFL with a K16 on stock RS map. Sweet engine, it flies!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users