Hello all, newbie here, looking to buy an Estate ST3 - New User Meet and Greet - Focus ST Owners Club

Hello all, newbie here, looking to buy an Estate ST3

- - - - - ST3 Estate 67 plate 18 plate

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

frowma

frowma
  • Forum User
  • 7 posts
  • Martin
  • Owns:Not an ST

Hi guys,

New member here  :cheers: just joined as I'm after getting a 67 or 18 plate ST3 estate (petrol). I'm after a black or blue one and can see they're pretty rare beasts.

I've been running poverty spec cars for the past 10 or so years so it'll be nice to get back to something decent again.

Anything in particular to look for, or as it's fairly new it should be just fine right?

TIA

Martin

Advertisement

Advertisement
  • Advertisement

chrissyelse88

chrissyelse88
  • Forum User
  • 373 posts
  • Birmingham
  • chris
  • Owns:ST250
No experience of the estate but I had a 15 plate hatchback. They very robust cars and not to many issues with them I have read about head gasket issues on high mileage ones but might be a one off.

Just check usual service history up to date no damage to alloys or bodywork, check light clusters don't mist up this has been an issue and water in the boot.

If it's been modified check it's been done by approved tuner.

They are heavy on front tyres so check plenty of tread on them mine lasted 13k miles.

They are great cars good luck with the search.

Alb

Alb
  • Administrator
  • 23373 posts
  • Gloucestershire
  • Alb
  • Owns:Mk2 RS MP350

If you want to canvass members about heir own cars, you can place a "Wanted" advert HERE Martin :)

frowma

frowma
  • Forum User
  • 7 posts
  • Martin

If you want to canvass members about heir own cars, you can place a "Wanted" advert HERE Martin :)

Will do, thanks.

Rod S

Rod S
  • Forum User
  • 250 posts
  • Rural Suffolk
  • Rod
  • Owns:ST3 250 Mk3

Mine is a 16 plate, I bought it from a main agent when it was 21 months old and 13k miles (returned early from a finance deal) and the estate version certainly were rare at the time - for the age/mileage/price target I had set myself there were only three within 300 miles of where I live.... 

I've not had any problems at all, apart from the battery in the key fob dying sooner than I expected (which I think is down to the keyless entry system). And the keyless entry is the only thing I dislike about it, it's impossible to turn it off so I have the hassle of having to put the fob into a (bulky) faraday pouch every time I park it. I believe on the later mk3.5s they did give the option of turning it off, but not on mine.

As for reported problems, although I'm sure anything you read is genuine, it's the people who have issues that will be very vocal about it (esp. on the internet) and those of us who don't, won't....

And I'm not aware of anything about the estate that makes it any more vulnerable than the hatch

• frowma likes this

frowma

frowma
  • Forum User
  • 7 posts
  • Martin

As for reported problems, although I'm sure anything you read is genuine, it's the people who have issues that will be very vocal about it (esp. on the internet) and those of us who don't, won't....

Oh yes, I'm well aware, I've had various different cars over the years and if I'd taken not of the horror stories from the minority of owners I'd never have bought any of them!

There are only 2 in the colour (1 black, 1 blue) / age / mileage range I'm after in the country on Autotrader so pickings are indeed slim.

sttwoton

sttwoton
  • Club Member
  • 443 posts
  • Somerset
  • Kev
  • Owns:ST3 MK3.
Welcome, if you hear a rattling/tapping coming from the engine, mostly heard in the drivers side wheel arch, dont be concerned, that is pretty normal, direct injection seems to make them a bit diesel like on idle, it goes away when revs are raised or even when the air con is switched on, lots of posts about the sound around the net.

Rod S

Rod S
  • Forum User
  • 250 posts
  • Rural Suffolk
  • Rod

Oh yes, I'm well aware, I've had various different cars over the years and if I'd taken not of the horror stories from the minority of owners I'd never have bought any of them!

There are only 2 in the colour (1 black, 1 blue) / age / mileage range I'm after in the country on Autotrader so pickings are indeed slim.

Stealth grey was the one I bought - the other two options at the time I was buying were black or white - never went to view them, they just didn't look right in the photos. But each to there own, my other two performance cars are black, but it just didn't look right on the ST Estate.

Welcome, if you hear a rattling/tapping coming from the engine, mostly heard in the drivers side wheel arch, dont be concerned, that is pretty normal, direct injection seems to make them a bit diesel like on idle, it goes away when revs are raised or even when the air con is switched on, lots of posts about the sound around the net.

This has come up so many times before and, yes, the direct injectors do make a clicking sound but, on mine, you have to open the bonnet to hear it (Alb thinks I'm deaf whenever I say this....)

Timing chain rattle (usually described as a bag of nails) is the other thing.

But the cams are chain driven, not belt driven like most cars - chains "rattle" - that's life, just live with it.......

sttwoton

sttwoton
  • Club Member
  • 443 posts
  • Somerset
  • Kev
  • Owns:ST3 MK3.
Isnt stealth grey just clear coated primer? 😁

Rod S

Rod S
  • Forum User
  • 250 posts
  • Rural Suffolk
  • Rod

Isnt stealth grey just clear coated primer?

Haaah, the primers I use on my other projects are white or yellow/green.... (white is the normal high build 2K primer and yellow/green the 2K etch)

God know's why Ford chose to use the word "stealth", it's just grey, lots of other OEMs use the same colour and probably give it some other stupid name to make it sound like a "special" grey.

But, to me, it just looks right on the Estate ST variant.

And, like I said, my other two performance cars are black, and they both look right in black.

EDIT - just to add,

https://www.focussto...3-fl-st/page-15

S26ACF

S26ACF
  • Club Member
  • 10 posts
  • Alistair
  • Owns:ST-2 M3
Very happy with my petrol ST2 Estate in panther black. Just put on the Maxton front splitter that just sets the front off nicely. No real issues in two years, bought with just under 10k miles on it from main dealer. Not sure why there are so few of these around as they make up for the limited boot space in the hatch. Had a couple of hardcore ST guys doing some work for me and they were very envious of the petrol estate. Hope you find a good example and enjoy!
👍🏻

gino666123

gino666123
  • Club Member
  • 128 posts
  • paul
  • Owns:Mk3 ST3 Estate
Hi, yep quite rare, I had to travel 90 miles to get mine in race red.. with the spec I were after to. But cause we do caravan and self catering hols/ lodges, it perfect for space.

S26ACF

S26ACF
  • Club Member
  • 10 posts
  • Alistair
  • Owns:ST-2 M3

Would certainly recommend the maxton splitter (I am sure other brands are available!) seems to push the front down in a bit more and adds grip. Or maybe it is just in my head!

frowma

frowma
  • Forum User
  • 7 posts
  • Martin

Ha, one dealer had a stealth grey but advertised it as *Nardo* which I believe is what Audi call it. And yes as nice as they look to my eyes it's just a shiny primer  :lol:

My ideal spec car doesn't appear to exist as I do like a sunroof.

At the moment, this is top of my list (of two!), I do like the silver wheels over the black, trouble is it's 175 miles away   :facepalm:

https://www.autotrad...201910083073035

Just for a laugh I looked at the price of the new ST Estates, holy cow £36k (albeit with BLIS, HUD, Pan Roof, Wireless charging and special paint). Can't believe the ST has an options list considering they're £34k base.

gino666123

gino666123
  • Club Member
  • 128 posts
  • paul
  • Owns:Mk3 ST3 Estate
Clarkson once summed up the colour stealth grey as been, the same colour as a set of primary school kids using the same paint pot to rinse their brushes. He's bang on with that!👍

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ST3, Estate, 67 plate, 18 plate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users