Audi A3 rear brakes. - Other Marque | Automotive Discussion - Focus ST Owners Club

Audi A3 rear brakes.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

justcos

justcos
  • Forum User
  • 460 posts
  • Livingston
  • Craig
  • Owns:Focus st3

Wonder if someone can help I’m going to do my sons brakes on his car but didn’t realise he has an electric handbrake. Are they as straight forward as normal rear brakes or is it an operation?

Advertisement

Advertisement
  • Advertisement

teflonbilly

teflonbilly
  • Club Member
  • 633 posts
  • Billy
  • Owns:ST2 Mk2

Wonder if someone can help I’m going to do my sons brakes on his car but didn’t realise he has an electric handbrake. Are they as straight forward as normal rear brakes or is it an operation?

I think it depends on the car, some need to be put into 'service mode' or something.  On some I think you can keep the electronic handbrake released by starting the car various combinations of the brake/throttle pedal depressed and pressing the handbrake switch.  It should be straightforward if you read the handbook first.

• trevorb likes this

justcos

justcos
  • Forum User
  • 460 posts
  • Livingston
  • Craig
  • Owns:Focus st3

I think it depends on the car, some need to be put into 'service mode' or something.  On some I think you can keep the electronic handbrake released by starting the car various combinations of the brake/throttle pedal depressed and pressing the handbrake switch.  It should be straightforward if you read the handbook first.

Cheers for replying I ended up paying Kwik fit £80 to do it. I wasnt confident in my ability to do it correctly.

NickFST3

NickFST3

Previously nickst500

• Club Member
  • 5163 posts
  • Lincolnshire
  • Nick
  • Owns:Mk3.5 ST3

I wouldn't have thought the Audi e-brake was any different to a normal handbrake at the brake end? I have replaced rear pads on Peugeot's with electronic brakes & as per normal as long as you ensure they are switched off so the brake is not applied you will be fine? As Billy says the service book will explain exactly how to. The main things with Audi's are - again like most cars now - that the rear pistons don't just slide in & out like the fronts. You need to turn them to retract them so it is best to use the correct tool to do this to avoid any damage.

The only other thing - again from experiences with Audi's - is that the normal sized/width spanners never seem to fit! I have a couple of 13mm & 15mm spanners now in my tool box specifically ground thin to fit in Audi brakes! I am sure they do it deliberately!

However I never dispute with anyone not wanting to do their brakes themselves. They usually are quite easy & simple but if in doubt get them sorted professionally as it is also very easy & simple to get them wrong & then only realise when you are sliding easily & simply into something solid when your brakes are not working!! The only problem I do have though is that not all professional places are to the same standard!! My usual first question to them is if they do, or know how to, dti a new disc when fitted. If the answer is no - or it isn't needed - then walk away & find someone else!!

Jared

Jared

Not the Jared from DreamScience

• Club Staff
  • 8051 posts
  • Littlehampton W,Sussex
  • Jared
  • Owns:None

I have an Audi S3 , with the correct OBD device , you put the parking brake into Service Mode which releases the hydraulic pressure and retracts the piston , allowing the new pads to be fitted .

• trevorb and NickFST3 like this

trevorb

trevorb
  • Club Member
  • 1124 posts
  • warwickshire

Yes, on most vehs you need a "service tool" that plugs into OBD port - following the process for "service mode", this being releasing the electronic brake mechanism in the caliper so that you can wind or push back (dependant on veh) the pistons.

I am sure it may be possible on some other vehicles, but on the Mk5 Mondeo you don't have to have the special serv tool - you can do it by following a procedure involving turning the ign on and off and operating the throttle pedal open and shut in a certain manner.

(if anyone wants this procedure for the Mk5 Mondeo give me a shout, as I have used it a few times now) 

I am not aware of any handbook that gives instructions on how to release the electronic H/B into service mode

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users