• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Zig81

Zig81
  • Forum User
  • 11 posts
  • Jonathan
  • Owns:None
Ive got a deal in place for a magnetic grey ST, performance pack, BLIS, head up display and wireless charger.

Ive managed to get the car down to £30151 as its a stock car in the showroom, after reading a number of horror stories about the build quality etc Im 50/50 about buying the car.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Advertisement

Advertisement
  • Advertisement

Alb

Alb
  • Administrator
  • 22921 posts
  • Gloucestershire
  • Alb
  • Owns:Mk2 RS MP350

Remember that unhappy customers shout very loudly whilst the happy ones don't shout at all.

Try to see the big picture.

• Verodrive, trevorb, alexp999 and 3 others like this

Rod S

Rod S
  • Forum User
  • 243 posts
  • Rural Suffolk
  • Rod
  • Owns:ST3 250 Mk3

Well if it's in the showroom you have the ability to go over it with a fine toothcomb.

Test drive it for all the squeaks/rattles/vibration some people have complained about, thoroughly inspect the paint finish, all the panel gaps, alignments etc.

You are in the perfect position to find all the defects (if there are any) before handing any money over (or signing a finance deal).

• Zig81 and Instinktas like this

Zig81

Zig81
  • Forum User
  • 11 posts
  • Jonathan
Maybe I should have added the dealership is over 200 miles from where I live, apologies for that.

With it being in the dealership Im slightly concerned anyone and everyone would have been all over the car.

Instinktas

Instinktas
  • Club Member
  • 15 posts
  • Lithuania
  • Vilius
  • Owns:MK4 ST

If you are planning on buying any car, I assume it is a no brainer to go and inspect it first. My MK4 is a well built car and you have even better chances than any of us to have a peace of mind since yours is already there to go over every little detail. If you are unsure about whether the MK4 ST is a great car at all - the only complaints I've heard are from the people who got faulty cars so as long as the car isn't faulty, it's a wonderful all-rounder hot hatch.

Kimbie

Kimbie
  • Club Member
  • 16 posts
  • Dave
  • Owns:Kia Sorento

I am in much the same situation, got a deal on the cards which I have accepted, but if I get there and issues will deal with that then

• Zig81 likes this

Zig81

Zig81
  • Forum User
  • 11 posts
  • Jonathan
Its looking like a 7 hour round trip! If the car has issues Ill be annoyed if its a wasted journey, dont want to drive all the way down there and be stuck with problems.

Kimbie

Kimbie
  • Club Member
  • 16 posts
  • Dave
  • Owns:Kia Sorento

Its looking like a 7 hour round trip! If the car has issues Ill be annoyed if its a wasted journey, dont want to drive all the way down there and be stuck with problems.

Fair enough, while not the same have you had the dealer send you video and images of the car?

KD372a

KD372a
  • Club Member
  • 246 posts
  • Reigate, Surrey
  • Kev
  • Owns:ST225
Could a club member look over the car on your behalf. This would minimise your concerns but no one can take responsibility except you, as the purchaser.

Teescom09

Teescom09
  • Forum User
  • 509 posts
  • BT
  • Owns:Mk4
Well unfortunately my list of issues are getting ever longer. Awaiting an inspection by Ford. Thats about £1k less than mine but I did get about £19k for my mk3.5

Different shades of paint between panels, especially Front to rear doors and filler cap. Doors out of align. Lumpy Bumps down outside crease edge of rear bumper both sides. Advise everyone to check that one as seen A few with this! Filler cap out of alignment. Traffic sign recognition not working from camera, only via gps. Had car accelerate hard in a 30 limits using DCC and Brake hard at speed for no reason. Wireless charge pad useless, constantly cuts out with various iPhones. Wheels have a number of scratches but probably not get anywhere with that. The finish is very soft and marks easily.

Mk3.5 was a far better built car. Mine was faultless. And an economy update now its clear. MK3,5 averaged just under 37, mk 4 averaging just under 34.

alexp999

alexp999
  • Club Member
  • 1384 posts
  • Dorset
  • Alex
  • Owns:Focus ST Mk4

Just to back up Alb's comment, I've had mine since October and love it.

Not had any problems, best car and best Ford I've owned.

• Jason Sullivan, DazW79, Steve5563 and 1 other like this

Gazzaelb

Gazzaelb
  • Club Member
  • 506 posts
  • Gary
  • Owns:Focus ST3
Hopefully they will iron out all these issues when they facelift it.
  • Trox likes this

DazW79

DazW79
  • Club Member
  • 329 posts
  • Darren
  • Owns:Mk4 Focus
Ive had my car since December and its been impeccable. This is my 8th Focus and its far and away the best Ive had.
  • Jason Sullivan and Instinktas like this

paulstmk4

paulstmk4
  • Club Member
  • 5 posts
  • Paul
  • Owns:Focus ST MK4
Ive had my Focus ST since September and absolutely love it. Puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. Was going to buy a Mk3.5 but decided to go for the MK4 and so glad I did. In my opinion a far superior car. Drive, engine, ride quality, handling, gadgets, seats, exhaust sound.

Looks are a personal opinion, people say the MK4 looks too similar to the ST Line. I like the subtle look with hints of ST styling in the wheels, bumpers etc. But you can say that about the Mk3.5 ST and ST line X. They also look very similar. So I cant understand that criticism.

MK4 Focus ST is a lovely car and Id definitely recommend it
  • Jason Sullivan, Steve5563, Instinktas and 2 others like this

Jason Sullivan

Jason Sullivan
  • Club Member
  • 2694 posts
  • Caerphilly South Wales
  • Jason
  • Owns:MK3 RS

I will just say that the people who don't belong to a car forum probably enjoy their car more  :)

• Ron240, Steel_Blade and Instinktas like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users