Fiesta st180 bushes - Other Marque | Automotive Discussion - Focus ST Owners Club

Fiesta st180 bushes

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

justcos

justcos
  • Club Member
  • 376 posts
  • Livingston
  • Craig
  • Owns:Focus st3
Hi there my rear beam to chasis bushes have gone squidgy on my fezza so Im thinking of buying powerflex bushes to replace the factory ones. The question I have if anyone has any answers is powerflex instructions say the plastic casing of the old bush has to stay in place but any video I watch people are not doing this. So does it not matter if the old casing is there or not Im confused 🤷‍♂ Oh and is it normal for factory bushes to go so soon? My car is a 2016 model with 20k miles on it.

Advertisement

Advertisement
  • Advertisement

KrisM19

KrisM19
  • Club Member
  • 12 posts
  • Kris
  • Owns:Mk3 St250
Not had any dealings with polyflex bushes but have replaced plenty standard axle bushes, common enough. If the poly ones say to leave the other casing I'm assuming they're a slightly smaller diameter than the standard ones?
  • justcos likes this

justcos

justcos
  • Club Member
  • 376 posts
  • Livingston
  • Craig
Ive watched more videos and still people are removing the whole bush including sleeve. Heres the instructions from powerflex look at instruction no 1. Im i right in thinking they mean retain the sleeve of the bush?

Attached Files

snowblind

snowblind
  • Club Member
  • 834 posts
  • Chris
  • Owns:ST225

That's how I'd understand it also. I'd try fitting the new bush into the original sleeve first and only cut/press out the sleeve if necessary.

justcos

justcos
  • Club Member
  • 376 posts
  • Livingston
  • Craig

That's how I'd understand it also. I'd try fitting the new bush into the original sleeve first and only cut/press out the sleeve if necessary.

But then in rule no 5 it says refit beam to mounting bracket. So Im thinking do they mean keep the mounting bracket thats attached to the chassis. But why would we not lol

justcos

justcos
  • Club Member
  • 376 posts
  • Livingston
  • Craig
Just ordered powerflex bushes from Andy @A and K Motorsport at a reasonable price :)
  • A and K Motorsport likes this

KrisM19

KrisM19
  • Club Member
  • 12 posts
  • Kris
The old Bush won't remove from the outer casing. From the pic you posted I'd say its just push out the whole axle Bush. Clean area in axle for new Bush making sure there are no burrs etc. Fit new axle Bush and the centre sleeve. Job done

justcos

justcos
  • Club Member
  • 376 posts
  • Livingston
  • Craig

The old Bush won't remove from the outer casing. From the pic you posted I'd say its just push out the whole axle Bush. Clean area in axle for new Bush making sure there are no burrs etc. Fit new axle Bush and the centre sleeve. Job done

I think this is what Im going to do :)

KrisM19

KrisM19
  • Club Member
  • 12 posts
  • Kris
Quite easy to do. Might be a bit more difficult if your doing it on the ground. But I usually leave wheels on, Jack car up or have it on a ramp. Remove the abs wiring from its slots so the wires are free hanging, remove axle mounts from body axle will hang if you remove both and can always support it with a axle stand or the likes so yiu don't pull the brake hoses. Remove the axle to body mount plates. Then remove the old bushes.

justcos

justcos
  • Club Member
  • 376 posts
  • Livingston
  • Craig
My bushes arrived today and what a pig of a job it was :facepalm: unfortunately I found that one of the spring had snapped as well :(

KrisM19

KrisM19
  • Club Member
  • 12 posts
  • Kris
What did you a pig about it?

justcos

justcos
  • Club Member
  • 376 posts
  • Livingston
  • Craig

What did you a pig about it?

It was really just removing the old bushes that was a pain. The rest was easy :yep:

KrisM19

KrisM19
  • Club Member
  • 12 posts
  • Kris
Yeah. Usually if you knock a couple small/madium chisels in at opposite sides yiu can check hot the Bush with a hammer and it heads out. Alternatively you can get a compressor and air chisel and fire them out that way. But I'm sure there's a couple other ways people do it aswell.

justcos

justcos
  • Club Member
  • 376 posts
  • Livingston
  • Craig

Yeah. Usually if you knock a couple small/madium chisels in at opposite sides yiu can check hot the Bush with a hammer and it heads out. Alternatively you can get a compressor and air chisel and fire them out that way. But I'm sure there's a couple other ways people do it aswell.

Yeah as far as getting the old bushes out I probably done it the hard way. I watched spark plug steve on YouTube do his and he made it look so simple :lol:
  • KrisM19 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users